Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Couple of questions before starting PC

Boolit Bub

Couple of questions before starting PC

Hello all,
    I'm looking to Start PCing. I plan on the shake and bake. From the mass amount of info l have been reading here. 1 step is buying good powder and all the little odds and ends to move it along. So the 1st go for this is my 40. My current mold is .403 and the bore is .401. So with PC the current boolits am I asking for trouble trying to size them down that much? I am looking at getting another mold that is not HP. Should I look at the mold size for .402 to make it easier to size or does it matter that much?

Am I over thinking this? Thank you for your input.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the forum PC them and then size to .403 it should work fine.YMMV

CC

Banned

I just finally broke down and started this P/C stuff too.
    a couple of threads down I started one saying what I done and everything I done wrong.
    the coating adds about .002 in diameter.
    some here size, then P/C, then size again.
    and some size, then coat/cure, and load.
    which I think is how I would rather do it rather than trying to squeeze them down .005.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you! Lot of great information here. Maybe too much as it can be hard to track when starting out. Does anyone size just once? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of sizing after pc. I'm just thinking of all the handling and oils from your hands?

Boolit Master

I just sized a batch of coated 45 200 grain swc that measured .456-.458 (measured after I crushed a case thinking they were sized) to .452 with no lube and minimal effort. Did notice that the green required slightly more force than smokes gloss black.

Never tried sizing before pc, but will say that it takes far more effort to squeeze .004 off of a .310 than a .452
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Bub
    With .001 under my normal cast at that I'd only have .002 to .003 to size down.

Banned

.002 or so shouldn't be too bad.
    if your using a LEE sizer and a good press you should be able to do it fairly easy.
    a little dish soap and a few oz's of water should be enough to make it even easier.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up one of NOE new sizing setups. Looks like it can handle it better then the Lee does.

Hello sw Idaho: Welcome to the forum and the powder coated bullet threads. I've been coating for a couple of years now and love the stuff. For me, I like to size first then coat as this is a good way to sort out the bullets that are under sized for one reason or another. I'm a big fan of NOE tooling and buy more with each mould order. You will find the Lee push through sizers able to size a bit more in one step than the NOE and rfr gives good advice about using Dawn dish soap as a lube, it rinse's right off and leaves the bullets oil free and clean. Make sure you use quality powder for best results especially if your not using an electrostatic gun. Guy's here all swear by Smokes powder and I've had very good luck (Best so far) with Eastwood Semi Gloss Clear. You will find some bullet shapes are more PC friendly than others also. I see your sw Idaho. I'm over in Caldwell so PM me if I can be of any help. Gp

Banned

I took SW to mean twin falls.

rfr; I guess so from your place over there by Yomin over here in the Boise valley we call Twin South Central. I can see Orygun from my house. lol Gp

Boolit Bub
    I'm in Boise. Would love to move away from here.

Hot tip when sizing you powder coated boolits Every 10th round or so put some sizing wax on it. They will zip on through. And it wont hurt it your gun at all.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk