Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Satan's lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Satan's lube.

I love castboolits.com and have been around for a while, but the search function sucks.. Normally I don't bother but when I do try it I just get a generic googe search (I tried "satan's bullet lube" and get stuff from "learn how fast is a bullet" to "watch bullet (?)" down to a reference to an old castboolits thread about black powder lube.). Why can't a search function be for castboolits.com and not a generic, world wide google search?

Rant over, sorta...

So what the heck is "Satan's Lube"?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

about 2 inches below your name and post count( very top right hand corner) is a box that says google search, when I typed in satan's lube I got a bunch of threads on the lube. I think you are using the main google search at the very top that does the whole internet, try the google search that does this site only. don't mean to sound condescending, just trying to help you.

Banned

the search function is a modified google search for the site.
    satan's lube is also known as 666 lube [because of the 3 parts used to make it] or the new version that come out of the lube quest 666+1.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Hint, when useing Google custom search, less is more in regards to keywords.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

In a Google search box, at Google's home page, type: site:castboolits.gunloads.com "your search terms inside these quotes"

Yes, you need the quotes if you're searching for terms that you want together, like "satans lube". If you don't use the quotes and just search for satans lube, you'll find any posts that contain the words, but not necessarily together.... for example, if a post had the content "she shot like satan gone wild. Completely ran out of lube." that post would return in the search results because it contained both of the words.

so: site:castboolits.gunloads.com "satan's lube" or "satans lube"
    Last edited by Phlier; 02-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Jim

Glad you liked it...as much as you like FWFL...... I thought you just might.

MML does better in those guns/loads that require a bit more "friction" to help the "burn" such as my 15inch 357MAX...MML shines a bit better in THAT situation. Satan's Lube really shines in full velocity rifle loads. In my search to get rid of the "exotic" microwax I found pure and simple happiness...glad you like it too.

WAYNE ---here is the recipe for Satans Lube...basically the OLD PRE ALOX NRA FORMULA with some soap added, nothing ground breaking...does not need to be..... damn good boolit lube is simple when you remove the "tinker factor" and emotion from it.

Melt the vaseline/paraffin and add the ivory soap flakes into it til fully dissolved and the foaming stops and the globular formations are no longer, remove from heat and then add the beeswax last after the mix has cooled a bit to prevent the dreaded beeswax "scorch". You wanna do all this in a pot a bit bigger than you think you need...the soap makes stuff foam up a bit.

6oz vaseline
    6oz paraffin
    6oz beeswax
    1 oz dried ivory flakes (foodprocessor) (you can double this if you live in a hot area or will be shooting in a hot area)
    So the above is the basic Satan's Lube formula.

A question about the measurements... is that by volume or by weight? Hoping to make a higher temperature lube since summer is just around the corner here in the desert southwest.

When you cook it, what's the temperature you're looking for on the candy thermometer? I know you're not supposed to put the beeswax in 'til it cools below 350, but what temp are you looking for while cooking the paraffin/vaseline/ivory?
    Last edited by Phlier; 02-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

It will start to smoke when its hot enough to melt the soap flakes. Keep stirring till they are dissolved. I never measured the temp. I suggest doing it in the garage on a hot plate or a Coleman stove. Complete dissolving of the soap is key.

For shooting in warm weather, some double the soap in the mix. I have never tried this, though i might in my next batch. For warm weather, I used 9 parts paraffin instead of 6 parts and it seemed to work well. But I live in NW Ohio, not in the heat belt like you do! Mix all ingredients by weight. It would be very difficult, and messy, to mix by volume.

Also be prepared to pan lube the boolits. I have never tried it in a lubesizer but others may be able to enlighten you on this.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 02-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Banned

volume is weight with all 3 of those.
    so you can use a 6OZ jar of Vaseline and a 6oz chunk of beeswax.
    if you get an 8 oz jar of Vaseline just use 8 oz's of micro-wax and B-wax.

Moderator Emeritus

While I haven't made any Satan's lube, the directions are very similar to my SL68B lube.

I'd say buckshotshoey gave you some very good advice, it takes a lot o heat to fully dissolve the soap..that is critical, as it is not just dissolving, it is chemically blending to create a soap grease. If it's not fully dissolved, it is just soap that is suspended in the wax/oil lube.

I will also add, that replicating the precise amount of ingredients that someone else wrote down, isn't near as important as it is for you to duplicate what you measured and mixed and how you cooked it, so keep real good notes. If it doesn't turn out to work as good as you want, it's more important to know what you did and modify that, than the original recipe instructions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    While I haven't made any Satan's lube, the directions are very similar to my SL68B lube.

I'd say buckshotshoey gave you some very good advice, it takes a lot o heat to fully dissolve the soap..that is critical, as it is not just dissolving, it is chemically blending to create a soap grease. If it's not fully dissolved, it is just soap that is suspended in the wax/oil lube.

I will also add, that replicating the precise amount of ingredients that someone else wrote down, isn't near as important as it is for you to duplicate what you measured and mixed and how you cooked it, so keep real good notes. If it doesn't turn out to work as good as you want, it's more important to know what you did and modify that, than the original recipe instructions.
    Jon, I was going to research the recipe and instructions for making your SL68B lube after I got done reading about Satan's Lube first. I happened upon Satan's before yours... In fact, I've only seen references to your lube so far... no recipes or instructions. Any chance you could provide a link to it? I currently have 75 browser tabs open... all castboolits. Head is starting to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    It will start to smoke when its hot enough to melt the soap flakes. Keep stirring till they are dissolved. I never measured the temp. I suggest doing it in the garage on a hot plate or a Coleman stove. Complete dissolving of the soap is key.

For shooting in warm weather, some double the soap in the mix. I have never tried this, though i might in my next batch. For warm weather, I used 9 parts paraffin instead of 6 parts and it seemed to work well. But I live in NW Ohio, not in the heat belt like you do! Mix all ingredients by weight. It would be very difficult, and messy, to mix by volume.

Also be prepared to pan lube the boolits. I have never tried it in a lubesizer but others may be able to enlighten you on this.
    Great info, thank you! It's 66 degrees here today. From now until the end of May, I'd live no where else but the desert. We pay for it for four months of the year, but the other 8 make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    volume is weight with all 3 of those.
    so you can use a 6OZ jar of Vaseline and a 6oz chunk of beeswax.
    if you get an 8 oz jar of Vaseline just use 8 oz's of micro-wax and B-wax.
    "microwax" being paraffin?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Jon, I was going to research the recipe and instructions for making your SL68B lube after I got done reading about Satan's Lube first. I happened upon Satan's before yours... In fact, I've only seen references to your lube so far... no recipes or instructions. Any chance you could provide a link to it? I currently have 75 browser tabs open... all castboolits. Head is starting to swim.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...how-to-make-it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Thanks, Jon!

Now to crack my knuckles, crank up my GoogleFu and find some microcrystalline waxes of the appropriate melting points.

Are there any Castboolits Vendor Sponsors that sell pre-made SL-68B?

Edit: Actually, disregard that last comment, as it would take the thread way off the topic of Satan's Lube. I'll find a more appropriate place for that question.

Banned

off topic?
    threads wander as they are a discussion and in a general conversation [if your participating]
    other thoughts come up as you go along.

me and Gearknasher once turned a thread in the alloy section into a discussion about cam phaesers and exhaust valve timing issues with most engines.
    that's off topic.