Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Heating methods for smelting.

Boolit Buddy

Heating methods for smelting.

Well I've been wondering which is best orat least how well each does. Been using a propane turkey burner but with the cost of gas going up I'm looking at other methods.
    Now I'm good with with a cutting torch and welder so making sumthin ain't a problem. Was wondering if anybody uses wood or electric with smelting. Only do a couple of BIG batches a year but just curious what works best.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I've not used wood but if you had a good bonfire it should work fine. Might get some ash in the mix but that's not the end of the world.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Use the search function to look for a threads about "Smelting" One poster used an electric range top for his heat source.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    For melting large amounts of lead I think electricity is to expensive at least here it would be. I think its best for the casting pots but not the smelting pot.
    I suppose wood could be used if you could regulate the heat. By that I mean control the air intake in order to control the temperature to some extent.
    I still think that propane is the best and most economical to use other than natural gas if you have access to that and since I don't anymore I don't know how the prices compare.....Wes

Boolit Master
    I put my order in to Midway USA on Friday for casting equipment. I have some folks looking for a cast iron pot and coleman stove to do smelting in, but obviously cannot be sure they will find anything. My question is this, does anyone do their smelting in their casting pot? I would rather not do it that way, but may not have a choice for a while. I know this has been covered in other threads in different ways, but I would be interested in further opinions.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    costs $14 here to get a 20 lb propane tank filled i have smelted 20 buckets of ww and range lead on 1 tank of propane gas that works out to less than a $1 per hundred lbs of ingots

wood works its hot and not nearly as convenient as a turkey fryer

I have used home made charcoal and coal before in a blacksmith forge many years ago.I had the blower running and had a nice cast iron pot filled with 100 lb of lead.I turned away for a couple minutes and when I look back my pot was empty! I melted a nice 2" hole in that pot. Me thinks that was a bit too hot! [2800]
    I did recover that lead after the fire was out a day or so later.This was before I knew about the health hazzards of overheated lead.
    I use propane now. BTW some buddys used my mongo melter set up and melted 1200 lb of soft cable sheathing for 30 lb of propane using two burners in under 4 hr.

If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master

Years back I used wood , coal or charcoal depending on what I could scrounge up for free

I had a steel 5 gallon bucket to hold the fuel and supended a old cast iron pot over it
    I got things working faster by blowing air in with a air compressor
    Blowing in on a downward angle along the side
    Sort of made a fire tornado in the bucket

As needed I would add wood ( normal fuel ) on top and the ash would fall out holes in the bottom
    I knew I had it going good when the bucket glowed

OH BTW don't try this method over dry grass
    I chared a good portion of dead grass the side yard

Thinking back
    IMO it probely smelted faster with this set up than my current turkey fryer
    But it was a lot more work

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Here (I think) are a couple of pictures of a wood smelter I made from a piece of 12" pipe and some half-inch hot-rolled steel.

Edited to add, thanks to JSH for the pipe. He gave me two pieces, and I recently used the other piece to make a propane smelter. I welded the bottom 1" up inside the pipe in order to help hold the heat from the propane burner. It seems to work, as I recently smelted a bunch of lead pipe. From lighting the propane to stacking up the ingots was less than two hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smelter01.jpg   smelter02.jpg  
    Last edited by fourarmed; 07-03-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It all depends on your needs. If you have a ton of wheel weights to melt down, propane fuel is probably the most cost effective. Where I live, natural gas is cheaper than propane, but not as convenient. If you have a bottle of propane lying around anyway, then it may as well be hooked up to a burner or turkey fryer. But....if none of the above applies, some other choices are available. Here is a link to a thread I wrote a while back:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...dollar+smelter

As to the cost of the heating fuel, it really is not a big factor for the guy that isn't doing tons of alloy. As you can see in the thread I wrote, the cost of melting down a couple of buckets of wheelweights is a few dollars worth of electricity. No propane bottles to fill and store, no carbon monoxide, and the heating element can be placed on a small shelf in the corner when not in use.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore