Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shortening brass for 300 blackout

Shortening brass for 300 blackout

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170204_105855.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	187145
    I thought I would share my method of shortening .223 brass for .300 blackout. Even though the case has a slight taper the chuck holds it solid enough to part off. The parting tool is about 1/32" wide. I part them to 1.343 long and they come out of the forming die right at 1.355 long.

Boolit Buddy

Wow!

Wow! Suddenly with my $29 Harbor Freight saw and RCBS case trimmer, I feel so totally outclassed. Carry on sir! It looks amazing. I must say, I like your style.

Banned
    Looks like everyone should invest in a lathe simply to make 300 blackout cases. I'll stick to my $29 cheap cut off saw with its $15 ebay 300 blackout jig. Lets see..... $1500 for a lathe vers $44 for a cheap saw and jig. As much as I would like to have a lathe in my garage the simple economics don't add up for me and my saw is faster. Its just not as cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Looks like everyone should invest in a lathe simply to make 300 blackout cases. I'll stick to my $29 cheap cut off saw with its $15 ebay 300 blackout jig. Lets see..... $1500 for a lathe vers $44 for a cheap saw and jig. As much as I would like to have a lathe in my garage the simple economics don't add up for me and my saw is faster. Its just not as cool.
    The OP didn't suggest going out and buying a lathe simply for this purpose, he was just showing the way he does it. Perhaps he already had a lathe, and decided to use it for this instead of going out and spending and additional $44?

OP, nice job on this.

Boolit Buddy
    Many different ways to skin that cat.

I used a high speed Nichols hand miller, at 1300 RPM
    Put a 3 inch Kurt Angle lock vise on it and made a set of soft jaws that had a radius cut in both jaws with a stop on the end.
    That way could end load the case, then clamp the vise lightly and saw off excess
    Using a 5 inch x .040 x 275 tooth jewelers saw from another project was able to cut about a 600 an hour.
    Made a catch basin from an old cardboard box that bolted to the table top to catch the cut off necks.

Made just over 3000 of them, more than enough for my use.

Sure I could have used one of my two lathes but the Hortz mill was faster

J Wisner

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    The OP didn't suggest going out and buying a lathe simply for this purpose, he was just showing the way he does it. Perhaps he already had a lathe, and decided to use it for this instead of going out and spending and additional $44?

OP, nice job on this.
    Thank you. Before I tried using the lathe I was cutting them in a band saw about 1/32 over size and finishing with a hand trimmer.

Boolit Grand Master

A hand closer collet and proper collet would be even quicker in the lathe. A simple collet stop and correct collet ( a blank could be bored or hand reamed with the chambering reamer for the best fit).

Boolit Grand Master
    There are a lot of video's. Here is a jig.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq93b8QYe18

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin