RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Colt LE901 Charging Handle Question

Boolit Man

Question Colt LE901 Charging Handle Question

I have the Colt LE901 (308 WIN) and I would like to replace the stock charging handle (CH) with and ambi/oversized handle due to the size and position of the scope BUT, the LE901 has a proprietary CH and the only replacement available is the plain-jane stock handle and I haven't found a single aftermarket CH for which the manufacturer says will fit the LE901, usually they specifically state that their aftermarket CH will NOT fit the LE901. (Bummer)

My question is twofold; first, does anyone know what the difference(s) is/are among the various 308's AR CHs? Second, could an aftermarket CH, such as the AXTS Raptor, be modified somehow to work in the LE901?

Thanks.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Master
    I have a LE901-16S. As you have experienced, putting in a new charging handle is a no go. I put on a YHM extended charging handle lever and it made a huge difference for ease of use with a hubble telescope mounted.

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^^ There is only a roll pin holding the latch assembly, just buy some ridiculously overpriced latch and you should be good to go.

Me, I saw oversized latches for $3 from China, put those on 3 uppers and haven't managed to break any of them. But then I'm no Ninja, rappelling out of copters, daily firefights with bad guys; but if you are, buy the ROP latch.

Boolit Master

Boolit Man

That may be my only option. At least it's an affordable one if not perfect.

Boolit Master
    It made a world of difference for me with a scope mounted. The rifle is a solid 1 MOA rifle out to 600 yards using the Hornady 168 BTHP match bullet and BLC-2 powder. I love the rifle in spite of the fact that it has to use Colt specific parts for the important parts of it. For a compact 308 that can reach out and touch stuff I am more than satisfied.

Boolit Man

Yupper, I know what you mean. It's my fav 308... even more recoil friendly and accurate than my scar. I just wish the handle was on the right like my garrand.

Boolit Master
    Do you have the one with the monolithic upper receiver? I believe that is the SE model.

Boolit Man

I do. And my swap-out upper is a 7.62x39 with a vortex red dot and a keymod hand guard.... very light compared to big brother.

Boolit Master
    Nice. I went with the 16S with the M-LOK tube and have a 6920 upper for when I want to swap calibers. I plan to remove the big scope and mount an ACOG in the future as I only mounted the scope to do long range load development and settle on a load to mass load with max accuracy. I may also get a spare barrel and have it turned to a lighter profile. Then I'd have to test it to see if it maintains it's accuracy over long shot strings like the medium heavy barrel contour.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I am having a hard time changing out the lever, specifically punching out the pin. I'm using a 1/16 because that's what I've used on my other ARs, and I've bent to punches so far. Does anyone know if since the 901 CH is proprietary the lever pi is smaller than standard ARs, or have any suggestions??
    Thanks a lot

Boolit Grand Master

Measure the hole and see what they are size wise. Most calipers have outside jaws and inside jaws use the inside and measure the holes. When spring tension is involved I will use a slave pin to hold in alighnment and drive it out with the actual pin. A set off number drill bits shanks can give a clos idea of hole size also. A simple slave pin is a running fit in the holes with a heavy chamfer on one end this makes assembly easier as the chamfer helps center and alighn while sliding thru easily. In use assemble on slave pin and tap square end close to surface place pin on slave pin and tap thru driving slave pin out with the actual pin.

Boolit Master
    I used a 1/16 punch.

Boolit Mold

Colt LE-901 Ambi Charging Handle

Did anyone ever come up with an ambi charging handle? Has anyone tried to machine/ modify a stock handle and add another brand of levers to handle? I would gladly purchase another brand of handle if the parts could be fitted to the stock Colt handle. Thanks,