WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 1892 Winchester SRC 44WCF Century arms import marked?

1892 Winchester SRC 44WCF Century arms import marked?

1919 vintage, been reblued and sling swivels added. Has a crude mark on the left side of receiver looks like a pine tree? Stamped import mark on lower tang. Any body know where this gun came from?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by paul s; 02-04-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I would suggest contacting Michael Puzio at "2bitrifles at gmail dot com" and send him the serial and other info. He is very active in the Winchester collectors association and is conducting a survey on the model 1892. If anyone would know, it would be him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A fair bit of sporting rifles have been imported from England within the last 10 to 20 years. Previously legal there, but increasingly difficult to keep.

Super Moderator

...................Quite a number of of private citizens here in the United States sent personal rifles to Great Britain in late 1939 into 1940 when it was felt that Germany would invade. It's been quite awhile since I'd read anything about the program so I may be mis-speaking to mention that very few were ever returned.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I do not believe that is the British broad arrow. Please see this old thread at Leverguns. Several members have seen or own similar rifles with the same mark. My hypothesis was they were reimported from South America after the GCA of 1968. Take a look at the lower tang under the lever loop and see if there isn't an importers stamp there.
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=31550

Boolit Master
    I would agree with the south American import. I saw quite a few 92's from there about 20 years ago. they were all rough. yours mite have been reworked here after it came back. I read .44-40 cartages were used as money down there atone time.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I would agree with the south American import. I saw quite a few 92's from there about 20 years ago. they were all rough. yours mite have been reworked here after it came back. I read .44-40 cartages were used as money down there atone time.

They were imported from Argentina, best I can tell. The pine tree mark is a marking from FMAP Rosario, the Argentine arsenal. You see it on their FAL lower receivers, as well. It would appear these guns were refinished at FMAP at some point prior to being surplussed.

That makes sense because the refinish is very well done?

Boolit Buddy
    Unique part of history you have there. Just imagine where that rifle has been and what it has seen.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Having looked at numerous 1892's down here in all sorts of conditions take a look at the upper tang area just behind the hammer . Is there a faint mark that reads "Model 1892" ??? Possibly it may have been polished off it that is a reblue. Look carefully as some of these are very hard to read.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remembrance

The Winchester 1892 in .44-40 was ubiquitous in rural Brazil until the 1960s when stiff gun control laws were enacted. It was so popular that domestic manufacturing sprung up in Brazil with the .44-40 lever-action "Puma" a direct copy of the Winchester 1892. Many of those original rifles made their way to surrounding Countries and some were imported in the US in the early 60's. Today, the ONLY centerfire rifle cartridge approved for civilian ownership is the .44-40. Supposedly that was because the Brazilian President at the time of the passage of laws prohibiting civilian ownership of center fire rifles owned a Winchester .44-40 rifle.