MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Guns

Hey, why not? Some people collect Volkswagons......

Well my wife and I shot that little gun today.

Shoots to point of aim at 20 feet. Cycles most fine although it did hiccup a time or two. But then so did my Ruger Mk III 22/45 so I am calling it old bad ammo.

Comfortable in the hand. Simple, easy to run. It is sitting in a case in my wifes car with a fully loaded mag but an empty chamber. Cock it, slap the slide back, let it fly and let fly.

My wife was hitting the 2" bullseye dead center once she quit trying to "aim" and just shot when it "felt right".

Sigh, wish I could do that.

She beat me with the Phoenix, with the Rugers it was a draw. We both put 10 into a 2" bullseye I had 8 in one ragged hole, with 2 more less than half an inch out. Her group was perhaps not quite as tight, but if she was aiming for eye's they'd of all been dead.

So as far as I can see it is a perfectly acceptable "truck' gun for my wife. Neither of us is really wanting to go to the bother of getting concealed carry. Both of us feel better knowing it is there if we need it. Dang cheap insurance policy in my opinion. I'll bring it in and oil it, clean it once in a while to keep it from rusting up on me.

Was easy to work on thanks to a few video's on Youtube detailing exactly how to fix each problem.

I'm thinking there may be another one in the near future for the other car.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Leinad 410 Derringer for $50. Always wanted a .410 pistol, but didn't want to pay $400 for a Bond Arms or Judge. While the patterns are large, it seems to pattern better than a lot of other.410 pistols so it's somewhat useful at 7-10 yards.

Funny, the Bond Arms reps were at a Shooters show this past summer where you can try out guns. You could shoot them, but they didn't have any targets for you to shoot at, just shoot to feel the recoil. I wonder why.

Boolit Master

A friend had a Jennings J22 pistol recently, asked if I could help him improve it's reliability. I tinkered with it a bit, read up on it online, and we shot it a little. I then proceeded to remove the firing pin and fashion a small bolt to take its place holding the gun together. It's now a nice looking little paperweight. We both came to the conclusion that it just couldn't be made into a safe or remotely reliable gun.

I had a Jennings 9mm for a while back in the '90s, was glad to get rid of it. On the other hand I've got a safe full of inexpensive guns that I do like. I was a sucker for cheap mil-surp for quite a while. I sure miss the $50 Turk Mausers and Mosin Nagants, wish I had bought more. I bought a couple $99 Ishapore Enfields. I loved the Tokarevs and CZ52s, and Nagant revolvers, all under $100 each. My favorite of all inexpensive handguns was the CZ82 when you could buy them for under $200. That was the best value around, IMO.

My grandpa had a saying I heard him mention anytime we talked about guns. "I wouldn't own any gun I'd regret throwing in the river when I was done using it."

i used to carry a Berretta Jetfire as a back up / throw down piece. Guys would always give me grief about just pissing someone off, but nobody ever took me up on the offer of taking one in the vest lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I don't know why but I'm attracted to some of the really cheap guns! 
    Some really good guns come in the form of sporterized, misunderstood and obsolete.
    Cheap prices just sweeten the deal. Glad you've discovered them.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned
    In my case, I'd guess that I'm "just a cheapskate", as I'm a sucker for "garage sale guns" (and garage sale outboard motors, too).

In the last 5-6 years I've bought a:
    1. circa 1900 River Arms 16-gauge single barrel for 20 bucks,
    2. 20-gauge Revelation bolt-action shotgun for 25 bucks,
    3. Astra 400 for 40 bucks
    and
    4. 12-gauge Savage 311 DB for 50 bucks.

All of those were DIRT CHEAP "hardware store-quality guns" but fully functional & useful.
    (The bolt-action shotgun has taken more "game for the pot", rabbits/squirrels/doves AND a very likely rabid raccoon, than ANY of my expensive guns, as it "lives behind the seat" of my PU & is "all too available" when an opportunity to take small game knocks.)

Note: My latest "junk-sale find" is a 1958 Johnson 18HP Electric Start OB with tank/controls for 40.oo.
    (For those of you who aren't "old OB addicts", that's a RARE outboard & will be worth $$$$$$$ when restored.)

yours, satx
    Last edited by texasnative46; 02-05-2017 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master
    I will admit it, I'm a gun snob. Just can't find it in me to buy junk. I guess because I've seen so many buddies have problems with inferior guns over my lifetime.

There is ONE exception. I got caught up in the HyPoint Carbine craze 15-18 years ago because I heard great things about them. Funny thing is, I have yet to shoot it. I reckon because it's like the joke about the Moped and fat woman - you are too ashamed to be seen with either one.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Confession time! Couple of years ago I bought a Hi- Point 9mm pistol. I can barely pull the trigger but it cost $169. Not nuch for handguns anymore, anyway. Turns out I shoot it pretty well, I just use both index fingers on the trigger! Can't help but laugh as I'm sure you would if you could see that picture...Ya'll don't tell anybody, OK? Hey LUBEDUDE, I'll trade you my handgun for your carbine, nice and broke in, local, one owner, a real creampuff! Comes with instructions on two-fingered trigger technique....
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Lubedube just go to a range where you are not known and try it.

IMO you can't beat a Hipoint carbine. You simply can not shoot 10 at a target and not have a smile on your face.

I have 2 now, had 3 but my shooting buddy bugged me and bugged me until I sold it to him.

LOL which I bought knowing he'd do.

Funny my Hipoint C9 has a pretty good trigger.

I don't buy ****, I love to find a good dependable gun for a very reasonable price.

Bond Arm's Derringers IMO are at least double what they should be. If your interested check out Cobra.

Last my wifes shotgun is a 70$ pawn shop H&R single shot. She has a box of brass hulls loaded for bear, mostly buckshot and punkinballs sitting right beside it. Plus 7 on the stock in the ammo carrier. You do NOT want to be on the wrong side of Momma and threaten someone she loves.She turns into a momma bear and has no fear.

Boolit Buddy

In the mid ninetys I bought a Norinco 1911A1, It worked very well so I bought another one. They cost $295 each, the first is more accurate the my Colt NM the second not so good, but I still have both.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought a 03A3 about 15 yr ago rather poorly sporterized . I still don't have it shooting well but it's not a focus project. When I got home I found I'd paid for the complete rifle the bbl'd action price in Shotgun news .

On another forum a guy asked in course of thread drift if someone was interested in a 98 action and a couple of stocks . Well yeah ! $65 to my smith/FFL . I had to get bottom metal and a follower , springs and a trigger . So the smith calls me to let me know it is a good base for a build . Then tells me he has a 26" Shilien take off in oddball 35 cal wildcat with about 200 rounds through it . How about I cut the threads off ,rethread it for your Santa Barbara 98' and run my 358 reamer in it ? My dime ,you helped me out and saved me a fortune .
    $200 in it with box of stuff K4 Weaver mounted last winter.

2 SR Mausers saved from the recycle bin 1 became a sub MOA 257 Roberts total investment $210 plus glass . The other is well on its was to a 2 MOA 45 Raptor same money .

I guess that covers the real steals .
    The $200 Boito O U has been worth every penny even with the broken firing pin the left me on a sage hen hunt weekend with a single shot and a modified choke .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Inexpensive guns are usually very reliable. and trustable with your life.

Cheap guns not so much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I will admit it, I'm a gun snob. Just can't find it in me to buy junk. I guess because I've seen so many buddies have problems with inferior guns over my lifetime.

There is ONE exception. I got caught up in the HyPoint Carbine craze 15-18 years ago because I heard great things about them. Funny thing is, I have yet to shoot it. I reckon because it's like the joke about the Moped and fat woman - you are too ashamed to be seen with either one.
    I have a few of the different calibers. Go ahead and shoot it, you will enjoy yourself! They always go bang.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

A question for the cheap gun fans out there.

I ran across an American Arms 12 ga Knickerbocker 2 3/4" 32" F&F. This gun was made by Crescent Arms (probably in the 1920's) for American Arms Co. which in turn sold them through mail order houses, sporting good stores and hardware stores.
    The gun was made the same as the Crescent Arms shotguns but very plain with plain wood. Crescent made side lock shotguns for anyone that would order 100 or more guns and they would put anyone's name on them.
    These guns were sold as inexpensive working guns. They were bought and USED, so it is rare to see on that is in mint condition.
    I ran across this one with mirror bores, 99% barrel blue and 98% case colors. Actually a very pretty cheap shotgun. It is rare to see them like new, PLUS it is a 32' F&F....somebody's duck gun no doubt.
    The dealer wanted $795 for it PLUS 5% Maine Sales tax. Forget the sales tax, but I wonder if this gun is worth it. This is the best condition one I have ever seen.
    The gun was probably $4 when it was new. This one has been used so little there is virtually no wear on it except for the handling marks on the wood.
    Condition is everything. And it is pristine.
    What do you guys think? $795 is fair?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Tight on face, lever not centered, Barrels ring when hanging by the lug with no buzzing. Not bad price IMHO I see the junkers go for 350 with the barrels falling apart.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really buy "cheap" new guns with a unreliable track record. I did try to buy as many cheap mil surplus guns as I could. Mosins, k31, mausers, enfields, etc.

Boolit Master

I have a chrome Raven 25 auto new in the box. I won't fire it, but it's sleek lookin!

Just bought another of those Phoenix .22lr, this one nickel plated. Price went up a little but at 125$ it is still a bargain IMO. At some point I will invest the 36$ for 5" barrel and spare 10 round magazine.

It is easy to shoot and at that price to me makes a great car gun. Lubed, loaded, fix a couple of the safety's put it in a cheap case and slip it under the seat. My wife and I do not carry, mostly have no need for it up here. But knowing that 5 seconds could put a loaded gun in my hand at need to me makes it worth the modest cost.

If I want accuracy I'll use the Ruger Mk III 22/45.
    But for a budget car gun, with small size, easy to slip into a door pocket or under a seat I have never seen anything better.

Considering buying one in .25 acp. Same everything except barrel and magazine from what I have seen.

Milsurp SKS's and Moisin Nagants are the cheap ones up here now, as a kid in the 50's there were barrels full of SMLE's for real cheap in every rural hardware store, now an unBuba'ed original issue one goes for a very good buck.

$219 Canadian is about like $149 US

http://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/...l#.WKIpkfkrLIU
    Last edited by dave524; 02-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge