Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Favorite baits or lures

Boolit Master

Favorite baits or lures

So lets hear it from the players, weekenders, long liners, short liners. What is your favorite, worst, best, or weirdest baits?

I'll start off. I have tried lots and lots of the most well known brands, but seemed like I always had the best luck with Russ Carman's brand. Course I tried making my own but could never come up with a money maker. Think I always caught the not so smart ones in my homemade baited sets.

Would spend the whole summer mixing up different concoctions only to have the neighbors complain about the smell. Would have been alright if I didn't have to vent the lids on all the jars.

Bring it on fellow trappers.

P S : Marsh-o-mellows, where I live suck! Oysters and sardines are king. 220's in a trial set with just the tripwires dipped in sardine juice was a pack basket filler.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

I use alot of gland lure for coyote.I have made my own bait for them also and work also.I do use Fur Country Lures also and they work out good also for me.As for coon, I mainly go blind set like I do for rats and otters and mink and most of the time for beaver. I do use fish for coon when I use bait on them and also works for otter.Also use urine for my coyote sets also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Cletus Richards Apple Road baits is tough to beat for canines. Carol Blacks Red Ranger for fox. Can't use any coyote gland lures here unless you want timber wolves to release in the morning. Tough to beat a snare where there "going to be".

Rally, I use snares also on coyote ,you are right it is tough to beat a snare .

Beaver too. Worked a contract this summer for the county forrester. Beaver had a CCC ditch backed up for @ 2.6 miles. Took out 27 beaver and removed all the dams. Skeeters were horrible. Had it all cleaned up and water down for over two weeks. About mid June this guy came from somewhere and decided to set up house about midway in, @1.3 miles from landing. All canoe work so it kinda makes a guy mad having to do rework, and did I mention the skeeters were horrible!! He had rebuilt a dam along a piece of high bank popple. I got the last laugh though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rabey clean-up 6-21-16 011.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	188242

I know what you mean about them move back in not long after you take them out. years ago I took some beavers out at the start of the season and then when the season was close found out new ones move back in.The land owner was jump on me about.I had a good talk with him.I was not paid to take them out it was in the season.So he back off after.Some think they are the only ones that you trap on .