Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 caliber Zoli Zouave

Boolit Buddy

45 caliber Zoli Zouave

Was just wondering how many of you out there have come across an Antonio Zoli Zouave in 45 caliber (not 58). I'm sick today (little to do, lol) so was curious how often these things might have popped up.

Boolit Buddy
    Never heard of one in 45 cal. I know they were made in 54, and 58.

Rebel Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, they were. I have one. 1978 production date. Looking on the net I have only come across 2 other people who have owned one so that's why I'm kind of curious as to how many might have seen one. Of course not historically correct in 45 caliber but kind of cool just the same.

Hmm, could be a poor mans' long range rifle?
    I've wondered about getting a used repro P-53 or something and converting to .458 bore to shoot lubed lead or paper patched.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Personally, I've never seen one. Any possibility that you could post a couple photos? I'm assuming that it is in the standard 1863 Remington military configuration and not a "Buffalo Hunter" that Zoli also produced? In .35, that has to be a hefty barrel. I'd like to see some photos of the muzzle if it would be possible to post some?

What/how is it rifled? In .45, I'm assuming it isn't the standard 3 groove military rifling? How many lands and grooves? Better yet . . . how does it shoot? What are you using in it? Patched round ball or a conical?

I have a very nice Zouave that I bought used in about 1963 for $65.00. At that time, new ones were $125.00. It is unmarked as to maker but equal to the quality of the originals - walnut stock - very well made. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds down the barrel (I shot N-SSA) and the bore was oversize to begin with but was pretty well worn. I had a chance to buy a used Navy Arms Zoli a year ago and I took the barrel and swapped it out with the worn one on my rifle. I was going to send the original barrel to Whitacre to be relined but since the Zoli barrel was a perfect fit and the bore size right on, I've considered having the original barrel relined to .54 but the .45 sounds interesting. That's why my questions and interest.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide on your .45 caliber - greatly appreciate it.

Boolit Buddy
    Here are a few pics. I don't know how she shoots yet as I just received it yesterday afternoon. I have a Zoli Zouave 58 caliber and the Zoli Zouave carbine 58 caliber with the typical 3 groove rifling. I hadn't realized that Zoli offered the Zouave in 45 caliber until I came across this one so of course I had to add it to the collection, lol. It has 12 groove rifling. The rifle is in quite remarkable condition with only some light scratching on the barrel closer to the muzzle

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW,,,At one time (late 60's/ 70's) Numrich offered bbls for the replica Zouave in .45cal.
    Complete w/ breech plug and sights they were a drop-in replacement for the 58cal bbl.

I don't know if Numrich made the bbls or they were Zoli or other repro over-run that they bought and resold.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A .45 Zouve would be a useful rifle. What is the twist of rifling?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
    FWIW,,,At one time (late 60's/ 70's) Numrich offered bbls for the replica Zouave in .45cal.
    Complete w/ breech plug and sights they were a drop-in replacement for the 58cal bbl.

I don't know if Numrich made the bbls or they were Zoli or other repro over-run that they bought and resold.

Don't know about Numrich but this is an Antonio Zoli barrel with the Antonio Zoli trademark and marked exactly as my other Zoli Zouaves along with the Italian proofs and with the same exact color/sheen of bluing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A .45 Zouve would be a useful rifle. What is the twist of rifling?
    If I got it right it is 1:48.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Hmm, could be a poor mans' long range rifle?
    I've wondered about getting a used repro P-53 or something and converting to .458 bore to shoot lubed lead or paper patched.
    Bobby Hoyt is/was selling reproduction Kerr .451" barrels that are designed to fit the P53. Might check into that.

That .45 Zouave looks like a fun shooter, but if it has a 1:48 bore, would that not really be intended for long range shooting? Seems too fast to shoot LR heavy projectiles.

Perma-Banned
    neat gun. I would like to have one of Zoli's Buffalo Hunter or whatever they call their "sporterized" Zouave in 45cal.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the photos - interesting!

I had completely forgot about the barrels that Numrich made for the Zouave rifles and if my mind is working up to speed, I think that I only ever saw a couple of them. At the time, I was shooting N-SSA so didn't have an interest in them. I did have one of their drop in 45 cal barrels they made for the 45/70s and it was a good shooting barrel.

It will be interesting to hear how she shoots - should be a lot of fun! Thanks again for posting the photos - greatly appreciate it!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    Bobby Hoyt is/was selling reproduction Kerr .451" barrels that are designed to fit the P53. Might check into that.

That .45 Zouave looks like a fun shooter, but if it has a 1:48 bore, would that not really be intended for long range shooting? Seems too fast to shoot LR heavy projectiles.
    .............That 48" twist would be way too SLOW, to properly stabilize a 45 cal slug for most any range let alone a 400 - 500+ grain slug. 45-70 Trapdoor had a 20" twist, my Whitworth has a 20" twist and my Rigby match rifle has a 18" twist. A 48" twist is a relatively fast twist for a 58 Cal Minie'.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Maybe a .45 minie or the old hollow base boolit would be a winner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjustable 45.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	187372

Boolit Buddy
    I will try the rate of twist thing again to see what I come up with. I was in a bit of a hurry the other day plus I couldn't find my little box with my 45 caliber goodies in it (still looking, lol). It's bad to be getting old!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............That 48" twist would be way too SLOW, to properly stabilize a 45 cal slug for most any range let alone a 400 - 500+ grain slug. 45-70 Trapdoor had a 20" twist, my Whitworth has a 20" twist and my Rigby match rifle has a 18" twist. A 48" twist is a relatively fast twist for a 58 Cal Minie'.

.................Buckshot
    Oops! My PH Volunteer is a 1:20 twist, of course. Guess I was thinking in reverse, so to speak, about how fast that 1:48 is compared to my .577 calibers. As penance, I will cast up a bunch of .451" slugs for the Volunteer this weekend!

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I found my jag and I got a better rod and rechecked. Got the same reading 3 times. The rod turned 1/2 turn in 31 1/2" so I guess the rate is 1:63 as far as I can figure, not the 1:48 like I originally calculated.

Wow that is slow for a 45. Gonna need 45 cal minie' bullets or round balls for sure.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    neat gun. I would like to have one of Zoli's Buffalo Hunter or whatever they call their "sporterized" Zouave in 45cal.
    I'm thinking that 45 cal barrel would weigh a ton. The 58cal Buffalo Hunter is heavy enough but the muzzle end in the photo shows a lot of iron. My Enfield Musketoon is way thinner than on the Zouave or BH. It makes me wonder if the metal in the Zolis is softer than the Enfields.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast