Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxPBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: black powder lube?

Boolit Bub

black powder lube?

I am a cowboy action shooter. I have about 8000 bullets cast sized and lubed. They are lubed with Jakes purple ceresin lube. I am contemplating starting to load and shoot in a black powder class. What will the result be if I shoot these bullets with either black powder or a sub. suggestions.
    Last edited by kb7tgr; 02-03-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    kb7tgr
    Your nemesis
    SASS 92020
    ><}}}}*>

Up front I'll admit I'm not familiar with Jakes Carnuba lube. That being said I do a lot of wood work and am familiar with carnuba wax. I also do a lot of black powder shooting. Carnuba is a hard wax, which is exactly the opposite of what you want for black powder. A black powder lube is supposed to keep the fouling soft. Since you can't wipe the bore between shots this becomes very important for accuracy. Soft fouling is pushed out by the next shot keeping the bore in pretty much the same condition shot to shot. SPG seems to be the most popular black powder commercial lube and it is very good. For a homemade lube I've used Darr's lube for years with good success. Some people don't like paraffin in bp lubes but I've had no problem. If it bothers you then substitute bees wax.

Good luck and good shootin'

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also not familiar with Jakes Carnuba lube either, I would call or e-mail them asking about its uses. Most like natural ingrediants for black powder lubes. Petrolium based lubes tend to make the fouling hard and tar like affecting accuracy and making cleaning hard. I to have used the darrs lube recipe it does good. better yet is emmerts improved. For an off the shelf lube SPG or bullshops Nasa. Emmerts is 50% beeswax, 40% unslated Crisco, 5% canola oil and 5% lanolin. This makes a soft easy to use lube that keeps fouling soft and manageable. I also add 3-4 drops of murphies oil soap to help blend the ingrediants and keep them from separating when cooling. A lotn of the original lubes used beeswax and tallows or lards with small amounts of various oils. Sperm whale oil was very popular back in the day. Darrs is Parafin Vaseline and stp or the old rcbs sizing lube I cant remember the ratios now. I also had a decent one that was paraffin, neatsfoot oil and nutragena bar soap. I find to emmerts improved to be one of the better ones so far. In your use you will be shooting fast and no time to wipe or blow tube, so a lubes performance will really show. One other thing to do is ask around at the matches of cometitors shooting black as to what they use.

Boolit Bub
    wrong lube name it is jakes purple ceresin.
    kb7tgr
    Your nemesis
    SASS 92020
    ><}}}}*>

I've had good luck with Satin's lube (666 lube)
    6 parts bees wax
    6 parts paraffin
    6 parts uncented Vaseline
    And 1 part ivory bar soap shavings.
    All added by weight, not volume.

Guess it should be called 6661 lube.

For warm weather use, you can cut the Vaseline in half or increase the paraffin 50 percent. I chose the former, and it works well for me. Use it in 45- 70 and on black powder maxi balls.

Boolit Mold
    I also shoot Cowboy Action in Black Powder Classes. If you use American Pioneer Powder or Triple 7 you can just load and shoot them with no problems. For real Black and others I use Dick Dasterly's Pearl Lube.

Boolit Bub
    Well I was planing on shooting APP and my bullets are pretty hard so I think that is what im going to try I also called jakes lube and he said the same thing just watch the first 100 or so but he did not think I would have any problem
    kb7tgr
    Your nemesis
    SASS 92020
    ><}}}}*>

Banned

only black powder lube I ever used is 5050 Crisco/bees wax

Boolit Master
    I want to load real BP in 45 Colt. A 50:50 mix of Crisco and Bee's wax would be relatively cheap and easy to make.
    But I want to know if the Crisco it would cause rusting inside the iron body of my Saeco Lubri-sizer?

Vendor Sponsor

I want to know if the Crisco it would cause rusting inside the iron body of my Saeco Lubri-sizer?
    Nope - it will be fine.
    Chill Wills

50/50 beeswax olive oil has kept me in the money on every BPCR match I ever entered, about 15.Beautiful lube star on the muzzle face.,stable in hot weather as well.

Boolit Buddy
    A good lube for black powder, if you don't want to make your own is, "Ox-Yoke Originals" comes in stick form that you can use in your lube-sizer. Its available on line, at "Track of the Wolfe".

Rebel Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    50/50 beeswax olive oil has kept me in the money on every BPCR match I ever entered, about 15.Beautiful lube star on the muzzle face.,stable in hot weather as well.
    Is this by weight or volume? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What we use around here is called Confederate Army Lube and is equal parts by melted volume of Goya Manteca, a filtered UNSALTED lard product and beeswax.
    Works fine in a lubricator-sizer. Consistency is similar to SPG.

Attachment 190244
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.