Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 44 special problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    its a ruger what did you expect. I chuckle at some who think ruger makes a high end gun. There the fords of the gun world. I own a pile of them but very few of them haven't been tweaked or modified in some way. When I buy one I buy it with open eyes knowing it probably isn't going to be a perfectly fit tack driving gun.
    Well, having a hand-polished and tuned trigger out of the box is an unrealistic expectation but having a gun that's accurate with most everything isn't. In fact this was more likely to be an issue with 44SPL shooters than with anyone else. The Special is certainly a cartridge that lends itself to handloads and I'll bet 9 out of 10 people who are interested in this new GP will be wanting to reload for it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My GP arrived at noon. They replaced the barrel, cylinder and front sight. My chamber throats all measure .430.5. I did't have my feeler gauges handy to measure the cylinder barrel gap so I tried a business card and it won't fit in the gap. They smoothed up the sharp edge around the trigger guard. The single and double action trigger pulls are nice and smooth.

Last edited by Pistolero49; 02-06-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    My GP arrived at noon. They replaced the barrel, cylinder and front sight. My chamber throats all measure .430.5. I did't have my feeler gauges handy to measure the cylinder barrel gap so I tried a business card and it won't fit in the gap. They smoothed up the sharp edge around the trigger guard. The single and double action trigger pulls are nice and smooth.

Oh yeah!

Boolit Master
    Now those targets are promising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Keep us posted on accuracy especially with 240gr and up.

Daddy Like.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow what an improvement! I'm sending mine in tomorrow.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    its a ruger what did you expect. I chuckle at some who think ruger makes a high end gun. There the fords of the gun world. I own a pile of them but very few of them haven't been tweaked or modified in some way. When I buy one I buy it with open eyes knowing it probably isn't going to be a perfectly fit tack driving gun.
    So Very true!! Ruger wasn't always like this though, pick up and old gun and compare it to a brand new model, fit, finish, etc. No comparison. Todays Ruger is about how many can we sell, and how fast

Boolit Grand Master

It is flat amazing how different people's experience can be. The most recent Rugers I have bought were two Flattop .44 Specials. One is a blued 5.5" barrel Lipsey Special, and the other is a Talo SS 4 5/8" barrel. Other than a needed trigger job, both were excellent. Either of them will group under an inch at 25 yards off a rest with the Skeeter load. I am PROUD to own both of them.

I guess I have just been lucky...

FWIW,
    Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    Wow what an improvement! I'm sending mine in tomorrow.
    I think I'll send mine back too. I was going to wait but I think I'll schedule it for repairs as soon as the last of my .432 bullets is shot up.

Last edited by usbp379; 02-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    What I am reading is sight gap send it in.
    throat too big send it in.
    no problem getting fired.
    in another life, I worked on big concrete crews as a carpenter, we had a saying- never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it again.
    sad

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like a 6 month wait will move these out of inventory or the gun won't continue to sell and then Ruger will drop it. I doubt it's the guy on the line that causes these things .
    more like faster,faster
    no time to do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1944 View Post
    Sounds like a 6 month wait will move these out of inventory or the gun won't continue to sell and then Ruger will drop it. I doubt it's the guy on the line that causes these things .
    more like faster,faster
    no time to do it right
    I think the gun will have a fairly short lifespan. The 44SPL market is fairly limited and once the aficionados have bought one sales will stumble accordingly.

This brings us to the LCR in 44SPL. Would a lighter (probably not smaller) gun have a more broad market appeal? Would such a gun pull 38/357 fans over into the big bore carry market? I like the GP100 for what it is and have found it to carry and conceal well but I don't think the gun will appeal to many outside those who already like the 44SPL cartridge.

Speaking of LCR's I always thought Ruger was onto something with that design. I've often wondered why they haven't done more with it. Would there not be a market for a polymer K or L-sized 4" 357 Magnum in the revolver market? What about an N-frame polymer chambered in 45ACP or 44SPL or even 45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy

Can someone remind me why a 0.434" throat could be a problem? I know a tight will size the boolit down, but how does a 0.002-0.003" oversize create a problem?

My Browning 92 has 0.431" grooves, so I order all my molds at least 0.432".

Quote Originally Posted by bcr View Post
    Can someone remind me why a 0.434" throat could be a problem? I know a tight will size the boolit down, but how does a 0.002-0.003" oversize create a problem?

Please see the article at the bottom of this page:

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5...FITTINGBULLETS

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bcr View Post

Tight throats have more negative effect than large throats.

Of coarse...if you are looking for something to blame for poor shooting...use either excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    I think the gun will have a fairly short lifespan. The 44SPL market is fairly limited and once the aficionados have bought one sales will stumble accordingly.

This brings us to the LCR in 44SPL. Would a lighter (probably not smaller) gun have a more broad market appeal? Would such a gun pull 38/357 fans over into the big bore carry market? I like the GP100 for what it is and have found it to carry and conceal well but I don't think the gun will appeal to many outside those who already like the 44SPL cartridge.

Speaking of LCR's I always thought Ruger was onto something with that design. I've often wondered why they haven't done more with it. Would there not be a market for a polymer K or L-sized 4" 357 Magnum in the revolver market? What about an N-frame polymer chambered in 45ACP or 44SPL or even 45 Colt?

You are probably correct, but I think they will follow Smith's lead. Larger diameter threads/thicker forcing cone. Not sure if they can do anything about the location of the bolt stop notch, but they could make the cylinder slightly thicker. That would probably allow for 44 magnum GP100.

I am not interested because I have a model 21-4 that I absolutely love. I would be VERY interested in a factory 10mm six shot GP100. I have currently a CA Pitbull for .40 S&W, it is OK but I hate the ejection system, and it is not as solid as a Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    You are probably correct, but I think they will follow Smith's lead. Larger diameter threads/thicker forcing cone. Not sure if they can do anything about the location of the bolt stop notch, but they could make the cylinder slightly thicker. That would probably allow for 44 magnum GP100.

I am not interested because I have a model 21-4 that I absolutely love. I would be VERY interested in a factory 10mm six shot GP100. I have currently a CA Pitbull for .40 S&W, it is OK but I hate the ejection system, and it is not as solid as a Ruger.
    A Magnum version is the next evolutionary step. Can it be done without a serious overhaul? I'm curious about Ruger’s plan and what will need to be changed to accommodate.

I am also curious about the small 44 Mag. Everyone says they want one and some will purchase one but how many will actually shoot the thing? Kind of like super compact lightweight 45ACP concealment pistols. They look great on paper...

My understanding just from rumors is the 45acp 1911 compacts feed better than the 9mm. Plus 45 acp is much lower pressure than the 9mm, about half. I don't have any, but I do know that my 45 acp never leads with cast. My Star Super does slightly with cast, higher pressure faster velocity. Since I open carry I am just not interested in compacts, or the 5 shot GP. There is not very much weight difference between my model 21, and the GP 44.

To be honest if I could have bought a factory .40 from Smith, or Ruger I would not have bought the Charter Arms. But I wanted a .40 just in case Hillary got elected because of the amount of reloaded ammo I have. With Trumps election I probably will never carry the Pit bull.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    But I will admit the fit and finish is lousy. Big gap under the front sight. The trigger guard has one side that hasn't been polished. The crane fitment is really bad with large gaps. I thought CNC was supposed to be so precise.
    This is common with Rugers today, pick up an old Ruger and compare it side by side to a new model, take your time and really study the fit and finish, there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison in todays Ruger vs Yesterday's! With today's technology Why can't they build them like they did the old guns??? I went with a Talo version GP-100 in hopes that they would have been a little pickier with their QC beings the Talo is an exclusive deal, My GP-100 is perfect, i am really glad i went with the Talo version! I have looked at MANY under glass counters that I would not have taken home!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast