Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 44 special problems

Boolit Mold

GP100 44 special problems

Want to buy a ruger 44 but don't know if I should wait till Ruger sorts out the problems?
    I read something about the Chambers reamed wrong.
    Sight gap
    Anything else?

Boolit Master
    The sight gap is being looked at. I personally pointed it out to the Ruger folks at SHOT. As for chambers,,, I haven't seen that issue yet.

Boolit Buddy
    The main problem is the 433-434 size throats. Mine has a small amount of thread choke as well. I PC to get the bullets up to size since none of my molds throw that big. It shoots ok definitely not a target gun.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    The main problem is the 433-434 size throats. Mine has a small amount of thread choke as well. I PC to get the bullets up to size since none of my molds throw that big. It shoots ok definitely not a target gun.

Jon
    What weights are you using?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1944 View Post
    I read something about the Chambers reamed wrong.
    Sight gap Anything else?
    This is exactly what I was talking about in my posts.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    What weights are you using?

So far I've only tried the 200 grn Lee rnfp over 7 grns of unique. This combination shot great in my Ruger flat top 44spl. I haven't had enough time to really work up loads for it yet. But with a 3 inch barrel I look at as more of a winter ccw. That being said I don't expect 2" at 25 yards. But I will admit the fit and finish is lousy. Big gap under the front sight. The trigger guard has one side that hasn't been polished. The crane fitment is really bad with large gaps. I thought CNC was supposed to be so precise.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about in my posts.

Randy
    If Denis Prisbrey's gun is an example of current production the cylinder "over reaming" may now be corrected. He is posting on another board that his gun has throats that are .430 or a bit under. In fact one is .428 if I remember what he posted.

While .428 might be less than ideal it will be easier to correct than the .432-.433 on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    I don't expect 2" at 25 yards.
    Me neither. But 4" or so would make me happy.

Please update when you have some additional information.

Vendor Sponsor

I question the measuring of these cylinders. I know that no machine shop would have that much variation in sizes over any production run. Now we are talking .005 overall? That's simply not happening with the machines and tooling being used, unless the operators are asleep, and nobody is paying attention.

Also we need to start seeing some serial numbers so we can tell where in a run these guns are coming from. I want to see the last 4 numbers, and nobody cares about what your actual serial number is as it is useless to anyone.

Andy You can ask Mark what the SN Ranges are, so we'll know when your gun was produced and compare it with the others.

It is pointless to speculate about production runs and cured problems if you don't know when a gun was made.

Another thing I'm going to throw into the mix here is the fact that every cylinder is going to machine slightly different. This is due to the grain structure of the material, and it varies thruout the length of a bar of stock. No two cylinders are going to cut exactly the same way. That said they should be similar.

I don't know if Ruger is Gang Reaming (all 5 or six with 5 or 6 different tools.) their cylinders, or using one reamer to cut all the chambers in a cylinder. If it is the former then there is 5 different reamers, and they could easily be five different sizes. If it is the latter then the reamer can pickup built up edges and which would cause different size holes. This is usually attributed to either the material or the Coolant be used.

Ruger uses a 410 series Stainless Steel which is relatively gummy in its machining characteristics. This can cause built up edges on a cutting tool where the material sticks to the cutting edge and influences the cut.

I want to caution everyone reading this thread. There is way too much missing information here to even speculate as to what is going on with these guns and in no way should anyone draw any lasting conclusions about them.

I stated earlier that "it was exactly what I had said in another thread." What I meant was "someone" read "something", "somewhere" and his opinion was swayed as a result.

He hadn't read deep enough to even understand what was happening,,, but he now had an opinion.

Kind of like what is going on right now with Trumps Immigration Ban, or Travel Ban or whatever the left wants to call it. Mis-information influences people! And most of them are too dumb to actually read the source, but they aren't too busy to form an opinion and show up for a "Protest" and break some windows. After all someone said it was a ban on Muslims,,, Right, and I'm not a Racist cuz I'm here protesting, so I'm cool!

Think about it before you speculate.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-04-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Didn't you say in my thread that Mark told you the oversized throats could be traced to one reamer that had already been removed from service?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Didn't you say in my thread that Mark told you the oversized throats could be traced to one reamer that had already been removed from service?

No that is not what I said. I said "the problem could probably have been caused by one reamer which had probably been removed from service due to wear."

There is only so many holes in one cutting tool and they change them out based either on wear or a programmed number of uses if the wear rate is predictable.

Mark didn't tell me much of anything at the show other than they were waiting for your gun to come back so they could figure out what the problem was.

Randy

Well, the original gun has been back at Ruger for a couple weeks. Depending on who all went to SHOT and when they got back I imagine someone should have been able to inspect the gun by now. Maybe you should email Mark and see if he'll share with you what problems were found if any.

They have had mine since January 13.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger received mine on January 23rd, and is on the way back to me with an ETA of Monday, Feb. 6th.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    Ruger received mine on January 23rd, and is on the way back to me with an ETA of Monday, Feb. 6th.
    Please let us know how it shoots/looks when you get it back.

Boolit Buddy
    Will do.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Pistolero: -"Where in Heaven is Chama?"

The entrance is right in the middle of the Cumbres and Toltec Yards in town. I have pictures!

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Yep you got it! It is heaven on earth and my summer home.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

Posted by Denis Prisbrey on another forum. Encouraged by this news!

Just off the phone with Ruger.
    The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
    May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

I'm encouraged.
    This is a neat little gun & I WANT it to succeed.

Also, if the GP you already bought has a problem with chamber-related accuracy, Ruger is aware of the issue & should be able to correct it if you return it for service.
    Denis

Banned

its a ruger what did you expect. I chuckle at some who think ruger makes a high end gun. There the fords of the gun world. I own a pile of them but very few of them haven't been tweaked or modified in some way. When I buy one I buy it with open eyes knowing it probably isn't going to be a perfectly fit tack driving gun.