Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Freak southpaw fn mauser

Boolit Master

Freak southpaw fn mauser

Sorry just couldn't do better with the photos. It was a task and a half moving the photos from my cell phone. This is real not another Photoshop scam. The FN Mauser showed up at my gun collector's club meeting. There are absolutely no marks indicating whom converted it. Collectors at the meeting speculated from the Bausch and Lamb scope mounts it looks like late 40 to early 50's. It was re-barreled to 257 Roberts and other than the caliber stamp nothing else stamped on barrel.

If anybody might know the story behind or the history. I'd really appreciate hearing from you. The member that brought it in said he bought it about 25 years ago and gave it to his lefty sister. He said his siter wont sell it for any price. there are a couple of missing photos from my file. If I can find them I'll post them here.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting, gear drive to rotate the bolt body, never seen one before, thanks.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Different scope, similar mounts, same caliber very similar rifle I saw, have seen it's owned by a man named Buck, he and his wife own a Bear hunting outfit in Canada! I was very intrigued buy it to say the least, haven't been there in 8 or so years but when I asked about it he said, 30 years ago it was the only lefty rifle I could find! Guns tools traps excetera are just that in the far north , tools. This is on an island in Glacier Lake, I'll try and call them maybe this weekend.

Banned

Never seen one done like that before. Definitely an oddity.

Banned
    For at least 50 years, gunsmiths have been converting Mauser receivers (& and other makes, too) to LH.

Now Remington & CZ make LOTS of LH rifles, so there's not much point in converting RH actions anymore.
    (CZ even makes a very suitable rifle for REALLY big game in 9.3x62 Mauser & .458 Winchester Magnum.)

Personally, MY personal choice is the Model 760 pump-rifle.
    (A large percentage of "760 addicts" are southpaws, in my experience OR persons who hunt in PA.)
    I currently have 5 of the Model 760 rifles in various calibers from .244 Remington to 9.3x62mm.

just my OPINION, tex

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting those pics, azrednek! I'm a 69 year old lefty, so I can appreciate the work done to convert that Mauser before production LH actions were available. I now own 5 LH bolt actions from Remington, Savage and CZ. We southpaw gun nuts have it better than ever now, IMO. Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Why are the 760s popular with lefties?

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    For at least 50 years, gunsmiths have been converting Mauser receivers (& and other makes, too) to LH.

Now Remington & CZ make LOTS of LH rifles, so there's not much point in converting RH actions anymore.
    (CZ even makes a very suitable rifle for REALLY big game in 9.3x62 Mauser & .458 Winchester Magnum.)

Personally, MY personal choice is the Model 760 pump-rifle.
    (A large percentage of "760 addicts" are southpaws, in my experience OR persons who hunt in PA.)
    I currently have 5 of the Model 760 rifles in various calibers from .244 Remington to 9.3x62mm.

just my OPINION, tex

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesisenforcer View Post
    Why are the 760s popular with lefties?
    Works with either hand .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    A friend who is right handed but has a left dominate eye built himself a Garand sniper clone so he could leave the cheek piece off and aim through the off set scope with his left eye while shouldering on his right side.

Another friend who is lefthanded, plus lost his right thumb in an accident chose the SMLE rifle because the low set comb lets him manipulate the bolt left handed fairly easily.

I've seen articles on converting the 1893 Mauser to left handed. The lack of a safety lug allowed the smith to reverse the rotation of the bolt. Not sure what other modifications were necessary. I think it still ejected to the right.

I remember Charles Askins had one in his articles about 8mm wildcats. 8mm-350Rem Mag Mauser98. Craig Boddington has a Win pre64 .375H&H so converted. Yes you leftys have it great these days. Best, Thomas.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Yep, that guy had either time, or money on his hands.

Years ago, P.O. Ackley had 100 left hand actions made. I believe he had them done in Japan. When I was at work one day, a shredded manilla envelope, no padding or extra care in packaging showed up. It was from Craig Boddington, one of the left hand Ackley's for a rifle we were building for him. I'm amazed it got delivered as it was. No insurance on the package, just stuffed in the badly abused envelope and sent. Still gives me nightmares.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

you might want to introduce your friends sister to a bottle of oil.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember seeing a couple of rifles converted like that close to twenty five years ago at a gun show in SoCal. I think one was a Mauser and one was a Model 70 Winchester. If my memory isn't playing tricks with me, think one was a normal deer caliber and one was a .375 H&H.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you might want to introduce your friends sister to a bottle of oil.
    Agreed!! He did say something about his sister's neglect. There was some minor pitting he claimed was there when he bought it. Over all the rifle's typical wear and tear indicated somebody got their money's worth. Shows use. Surprisingly the action functioned smoothly. Lifting the bolt felt like it took a bit more elbow grease than previous FN's I've handled. The low scope safety lever moved up and down like somebody spent a good deal of time fitting it. Indications are like a previous poster mentioned. Somebody either had a great deal of spare time on his hands or must have paid a smith a generous amount of cash. Also I should have mentioned in my original post. The FN action I presume was commercial as there is no stripper clip guide.

Boolit Grand Master

Seen lots of right handed rifles converted to left hand but the rack and pinion design is a new one on me. Very cool.

Boolit Master
    That's a neat rifle, I've never seen anything like that!

Barber Southpaw Conversions done in the 50's.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.