Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Trump Inaugural Parade Drill Rifles . . .

Boolit Master

Trump Inaugural Parade Drill Rifles . . .

I don't know about the rest of you - But I enjoyed looking at those swaths of 03's, 03A3's, Garands, and M14's. The topper was at tail end of the parade - VMI's 1500 cadets all shouldering M14's. I was under the impression that most of the M14's had been recalled for service over in that sandy part of the world. Were VMI's rifles M1A1's? 1500 is a bunch of either one. Does anyone know whether or not these are M14's or M1A1's? I enjoyed the sight either way.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    In any case VMI's rifles were de-milled for parade service. There's no recalling them after that.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    In any case VMI's rifles were de-milled for parade service. There's no recalling them after that.
    When I went to The Citadel our rifles were M14s and were definitely not demilled. We used them with blank adapters during field training exercises out on the Francis Marion National Forest.

Boolit Bub
    Have been a member of that establishment I can say that all rifles are M14s no M1A1. There are no firing pins in the rifles when at VMI and for the last Inaugural parade the bolts were removed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the correction, I had the impression that dedicated parade rifles were de-mil (permanent), training rifles were fully operational but would be disabled as keydet15 described unless the ceremony included a rifle salute.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by keydet15 View Post
    Have been a member of that establishment I can say that all rifles are M14s no M1A1. There are no firing pins in the rifles when at VMI and for the last Inaugural parade the bolts were removed.
    I noticed they, the bolts, were removed on these too. You could see daylight through the top of the bolt through the magazine port.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Well then - It warms my heart to know that there are at least 1500 M14's in VMI's Arsenal that can be made serviceable
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

I watched for the bolts being removed which is many times a SS requirement. I noticed about half the units with M14s and M1s had the bolts out. The bolts were out mostly on the NG and USAR rifles. I didn't see a single M1903 with a bolt out though they may have been demilled.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Regardless, it was great to see that many old workhorses still exist.
    Welcome back Larry.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

In Remembrance

During the last state funeral in Washington the honor guard that were on every step leading up from the street to the rotunda all had either an `03, an M-1 or an M-14. The neat thing I noticed was there were not 2 of the same rifle side by side.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Good to see Larry back, I enjoy reading his posts.

Curious how a private institution like a college can be loaned full auto weapons. I'm sure they have an ROTC component, but I doubt other schools with similar programs would get them.

is there a special relationship with that particular school and the military? I realize they are a training ground for the military, but still, not a branch of the service like West Point.

Boolit Master
    The M14s we had on loan from the DCM/DOD to the Wi State Association Rifle Team and other state civilian teams back in the 80s had a brazed cap over the "gear shift" so that they could not readily be converted back to full auto.
    Perhaps the VMI and Citatel rifles were also locked similarly to semi auto only.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    An acquaintance once showed me a nicely done fairly realistic full size replica of a Springfield 1903 made of hard rubber. from the weight and balance I suspect the rubber was molded around some sort of steel tube frame work.

Has anyone seen one like that?

Also the local Army Surplus store once had a rubber replica of the M16 rifle. It was no where near as realistic and I heard later these were used in basic training to simulate carrying a rifle through muddy obstacle courses and such.

Realistic cast resin rifles are available as motion picture props, sparing actual old milsurp rifles.

Daisy Air Rifle company makes an excellent and durable drill rifle based on the 1903A3.

Its a shame so many rifles were converted to deactivated drill rifles just because they were considered obsolete, but at least some were judged no longer safe to fire before conversion.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you - But I enjoyed looking at those swaths of 03's, 03A3's, Garands, and M14's. The topper was at tail end of the parade - VMI's 1500 cadets all shouldering M14's. I was under the impression that most of the M14's had been recalled for service over in that sandy part of the world. Were VMI's rifles M1A1's? 1500 is a bunch of either one. Does anyone know whether or not these are M14's or M1A1's? I enjoyed the sight either way.
    Are you referring to the U.S. Army's current iteration, Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR)? I don't believe any M14s were "recalled" for duty for that purpose. There was plenty of warehoused M14s collecting dust (something like 800,000 as I recall). That's where the EBR stock was plucked from.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 01-30-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    The M14s we had on loan from the DCM/DOD to the Wi State Association Rifle Team and other state civilian teams back in the 80s had a brazed cap over the "gear shift" so that they could not readily be converted back to full auto.
    Perhaps the VMI and Citatel rifles were also locked similarly to semi auto only.
    beltfed/arnie
    That surprises me too, I thought the official line was "once a full auto, always a full auto".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    That surprises me too, I thought the official line was "once a full auto, always a full auto".
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe that was always the case. Torch cut deactivation came about as a result of some illegally reactivated imports, again going my memory here. Then again, there may have been a variance issued, as happens sometimes.