Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Another Unknown mold: what is it? lyman 767

Another Unknown mold: what is it? lyman 767

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	767 mold 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	186961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	767 mold 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	186962

The next what is it: with the same batch as the Lyman 737, .530 dia. variable weight, straight cylinder with hollow base.

Only marked Lyman 767.

This guy must have been a Boeing fan.

Boolit Buddy

Paper patch wadcutter plinking mold?

Or probably more likely for a non-shooting related purpose like a lead bushing (or maybe bearing for an old machine?)

the other half of the cavity is only marked 767 too?

Boolit Master
    You didn't get a swage die in this collection of stuff, did you? Maybe the two slugs are a nose and a base, to be pounded together to form a bullet for a benchrest slug gun.

The old timers used to make a harder lead nose and a softer shank and swage them together.

Whatever it was that fit in the base of the other mould could tell the tale, if it could be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    You didn't get a swage die in this collection of stuff, did you? Maybe the two slugs are a nose and a base, to be pounded together to form a bullet for a benchrest slug gun.

The old timers used to make a harder lead nose and a softer shank and swage them together.

Whatever it was that fit in the base of the other mould could tell the tale, if it could be found.
    What you see is what I got. Only marking on both molds is just Lyman and then the numbers 737 and 767.
    They both look almost unused, of fairly recent mfg. I have a variety of Lyman and Ideal molds and comparing these orphans to my old ideal/new Lyman molds I
    would place these at the much newer end of the space-time continuum.

Boolit Master

I think you got somebodies project: hollow base wad cutter. Very odd that the blocks numbers don't match. I really doubt this came from the Lyman shop; as it now sits.
    Might make a good Sharps bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I think you got somebodies project: hollow base wad cutter. Very odd that the blocks numbers don't match. I really doubt this came from the Lyman shop; as it now sits.
    Might make a good Sharps bullet.
    I think you missed my other post, I have two odd molds this one that is labeled 767 on both sides of the mold and another one labeled 737 on both sides of the mold.

Search for Lyman 737 and you will see photos of that frankenmold.

It is likely that Lyman made the mold blocks but the bottom plate and plug were homemade.

This is the way the plug assembly would have come from the factory...

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

Not following the discipline but seems like I recall that the old "slug" guns used two part, paper patched bullets that were either cast as one piece or swaged together after casting. As I recall, it was a slow loading process involving a very soft, long and large projectile fired in a very heavy rifle that required a slug starter and false muzzle "starter". I recall one match that they had where fly silhouettes were the target and you picked off a "part" (wing, etc.) in a certain order. May be a set for one of these old guns. Been a long time since I read that and my memory is not as great as it once was. Interesting thread to speculate on though./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    What are the dimensions? Could it be a slug mold for fabricating a proof round. Those things are big & heavy.