Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hog hunting tips

why do you recommend the lighter boolit, velocity? penetration? right now it does win as far as reliability, I've never had those jam, but the 185's im working with, I think I have them figured out. but I'm game for either boolit, just curios and interested in your reasoning or possible experience with either of these boolits?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

oh, and thank you everyone, for all the good info, and the link, popper

Boolit Master
    Remember that hogs are feral livestock and not game animals. If the prohibition on baiting in your area applies to deer, it may not apply to hogs (and I don't know why it would. A farmer could be accused of baiting for just feeding livestock). The same thing could also apply to the prohibition on night hunting. In Texas hogs are feral and game laws do not apply with the exception that you must be in possession of a hunting license. For non-residents it need only be a small game hunting license.

nope, it says specifically for hogs... I need to check again though, now that I think about it that was last year, and all the years before, hopefully they will have changed it

Boolit Mold
    Get large trash can with lid. Make sure fits tight cause coons gonna try get it. One sack corn, 4 packers yeast, 4 boxes raspberry jello. Cover in water and let ferment. Gonna take longer in cold weather but will work. Keep checking water level and make sure can is in much sun as possible. Take post hole diggers and dig deep as you can. Take 5 gallon bucket put 2-3 shovel full of mixture in then cup or 2 of disel and mix. This keeps deer and coons from eating it. Put in hole and sprinkle couple handful dirt on top. Check in day or two and if they coming rebait.probably will have to clean up hole if they comin. Set as far as you can see and shoot and start waiting on them. You keep it baited they gonna keep comin. Yall just have to be there at same time. You and the hogs that is.

no baiting, defined as grains,feed, feed cubes, even piling up natural food such as acorns!! legal examples- salt or mineral blocks, sardines or other trapping lures, and commercial scents. not sure about the koolaid or jello powder, I bet hogs would go for sardines, and the scent would definitely travel! I wonder what flavor would be best??lol mustard, hot sauce, in water or oil? hmmm. I am gonna try this sardine idea ! (by the way, these laws are talking about dept. managed areas, like where I go

punch, thanks, but I already know how to make moonshine,lol

I would do it if it was on private property, but I am hunting on WMA's but thanks for the tip

Boolit Master

I would add that unless you are extremely proficient with that Sks I would forgo the head shot and shoot low in the front shoulder. Hog anatomy is different than deer and their neck vertebra are much lower in the neck than deer. If you hit one and it goes down, then drop another round or two in its head. Myself and others have shot pigs in the head only to watch them get up and run like heck. A couple have been brought down and the damage from the first round was unbelievable, yet they were still mobile.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

yeah, I have studied the anatomy of where the heart/ lungs are, about 2inches up and 3 inches forward from the elbow. besides, I plan on keeping the skull to do a European mount, so no boolits are going there!

Boolit Buddy
    my limited experience is that hogs don't seem to like to get too far from water. my bet is once you find out where they are going to drink then you got to find their travel times and route, they seem to be like every thing else in that they will take the path of least resistance. Next are there any open fields from what i have seen here in Texas is they like to dig around in fields. some time I have to spend time looking for sign, then find travel times and is this their habit. I have also found that some times you will see a bunch at once and other time just one lone hog.

Boolit Master

I've killed over 200 with a recurve bow over the years, almost all off the ground stalking. The problem this time of year is that they're almost exclusively nocturnal. As mentioned, deer hunters have stirred up the woods for the last several months. The best tme to kill them is in late spring and early summer. Nobody's in the woods, there are no acorns, etc. so they are on the move looking for tubers to root up. There's also good cover and quieter walking. You're doing good to wear out some boot leather now though. Even though they are bedded up in the thickest stuff you can find right now, keep your eyes open for good wallows. They don't perspire and their cooling system is their snout. The wallowing coats them in mud they let dry awhile, then rub off on the trees you've seen to remove bugs. That's why diesel/burnt oil works too. Patches of johnson grass, nut grass, anything with edible roots is a likely spot in the spring and summer. Catch 'em doing a backhoe imitation and you can get a lot closer than you need to if you've got the wind. When you spot one or two don't focus solely on what you can see...it's the ones you don't see that will bust you. Keep at 'em and you'll find them. YOu know they are there now, so spend the time learning the territory, and when you find the right spot it will be the right spot for years to come. If there's any agriculture nearby don't fail to check that out. Ain't a farmer in Georgia at least who won't let you ease around the edges of their planted fields in June if they're certain you are hog hunting. A pecan pie or pound cake beforehand is better than lease money..... HOGTAMER
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    On our land we stand hunt them in the evenings . i use a 450 bushmaster and my son double oo or 1oz slugs . They can see worth a fart but good pretty good noses . So stand hunt or keep the wind in your favor .

Boolit Buddy
    Forget to add I'm in Central Texas .

fps = flatter shooting. You have a 2-3" 'window' for a good hit. Did I mention they run fast? Even after hit? Take the pistol when looking for them after a hit. Remove any remains from choke points or sign. What are your 'orange' requirements on WMA?
    Whatever!

yeah, I think you have better odds, lucky! lol I am planning a road trip early summer, and I want to go south, either texas or Louisiana and hunt some hogs down there.

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

At the rate that "Rachel" is catching pigs on our farm in Northeast TX & moving them to OK, you need NOT come to Texas to shoot them.
    (Mother, long before her passing in 2016, contracted with Rachel to remove hogs from our place & we still get a check from time to time for our "cut". = Mother called it, "My Christmas fund." = CHUCKLE.)

Btw, I use a Model 760 Remington in .30-06 for pigs, with a 10-round COLYER CLIP for QUICK follow-up shots.
    (LOTS of practice on "the running boar target" is in your best interest.)

yours, tex

Buddy traps them, then release and shoot. He had one turn around toward him, his 9mm shield jammed and I think he set the record for clearing the jam. Then emptied the mag - he didn't get hurt.
    Whatever!

well, that's motivation for ya!!!

no orange is required, unless hunting during deer season

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast