MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 300 Blk Cast Hunting load "Help"

Boolit Mold

300 Blk Cast Hunting load "Help"

I recently built a AR 300 ACC with a 16 inch barrel and a pistol length Gas system. I have casted and shot the LEE 312-160 and RCBS 7.62mm-130-SPL. All water dropped WW powder coated and sized to .309. I have been gas checking them as well (more accurate). All have shot very well although I have not chrony'd them iam guessing they are in the 1900 FPS with 18gr of CFE Blk. I have used H110 and IMR 4227 as well (I don't remember the charge weights off the top of my head)

However I would like my son (9 yrs old) to use this rifle for a up coming hog hunt. He is a little recoil sensitive due to a Stepfather putting him behind "to Much gun to early" so I am looking for any load recommendations to start working with , and /or your experiences with cast 300 acc in hunting situations.
    I have also played with the idea of a subsonic cast hunting load for this as well and I have a LEE 2-CAVITY BULLET MOLD * TL309-230-5R on the way it should be here Friday.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated (especially by a 9yr old who really wants to get a pig)

Thanks Guys

Boolit Master

IMO, muzzle blast is a huge contributor to the flinch and even being recoil shy. Work up light or subsonic practice loads and let him hunt with full power loads. Subsonic loads are adequate for hunting in the hands of a seasoned hunter/skiled marksman who will pass on less than ideal shots.

The reduced velocity or subsonic loads will allow him to become comfortable with the rifle.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I would highly recommend a Krinkov style muzzle brake that directs muzzle blast away from the shooter. Can be had for $20 on ebay.

You might want to look at the Lee 309-200R.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Actually, I can't imagine the rifle having that much recoil to start with. Maybe let him shoot the .22 a bunch to become accustomed to some muzzle blast and minimal recoil first. Then work into lighter loads from the AR. Your son needs to learn/relearn that the push of recoil from appropriate rifles doesn't and shouldn't hurt. I understand the too much gun issue.

Boolit Master

I would reccomend either the NOE 247gr or Accurate Molds 245gr version. They do not have to be shot at subsonic speeds and can actually be loaded to around 1,450fps which makes round that penetrates very well and the flat point is a great game killer.

Vendor Sponsor

I have also played with the idea of a subsonic cast hunting load for this as well and I have a LEE 2-CAVITY BULLET MOLD * TL309-230-5R on the way it should be here Friday.

absolutely great way to start a recoil sensitive person out at sub speeds the boom is not there and recoil will be almost non existant

lil gun or h110 is your friend here

PS Moonie is correct the NOE 247 is a great mold If you order get all the pins .. it lets you make many combos of loads
    I have a wonderful subsonic HP load that just flattens deer at 100yds or less and a 1425 fps load that will take down anything I would need to here in NC
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 06-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

4227 is slower and you can download it some, H110 not. Turn down the gas on the pistol port. i use a 145gr that shoots well with lighter 4227 loads. Also a 170gr with 1680 @ 14gr, works OK, maybe 1400 fps. GKs didn't like the big guns but now they are fine. I just started using the CFEblk but understand it works best at full loads. I don't shoot subs so don't really know if the recoil is any less.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Actually, I can't imagine the rifle having that much recoil to start with. Maybe let him shoot the .22 a bunch to become accustomed to some muzzle blast and minimal recoil first. Then work into lighter loads from the AR. Your son needs to learn/relearn that the push of recoil from appropriate rifles doesn't and shouldn't hurt. I understand the too much gun issue.
    I agree. I shoot 150s form mine with top end loads and it hardly recoils at all. I also shoot the Lee 160gr but have only shot it sub sonic. (with powder coat and no gas check)

I would not hesitate using the Lee 160gr powder coated and gas checked at top super sonic velocity in the 300 BO. I already shoot it in 2 other calibers right around 2000f/s. I even flat point it for tube magazines and to make it less prone to punch holes.

The difference on impacting water filled gallon jugs is very noticeable. Sadly I have not had the chance to take any game with them yet.

Motor