Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are not going to believe this group

Boolit Master

You are not going to believe this group

I bought a 54 cal. renegade barrel from KOGER back in Sept, 2015. Today I finally took it out to the range and put some lead down range. Either I was a super lucky shot or I got a hotrod renegade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0201171543_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Perma-Banned
    Good shootin Trigger!!!!

Boolit Master
    3 shots at 100 yards. 435 gr. T/C maxi-ball mold. on top of 90 gr./volume Pyrodex RS. Bullet lubed with Bore-Butter

Perma-Banned
    Did you lube both grooves or just one?

Boolit Master
    Just the bottom groove. after 7 rounds It started to lead up, had to scrub with a brush and solvent after #4. Next session, I will lube both grooves.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    Just the bottom groove. after 7 rounds It started to lead up, had to scrub with a brush and solvent after #4. Next session, I will lube both grooves.
    The last time my dad and i were out his renegade got leaded pretty bad, pretty sure it was leaded before we started? He had to pound his Maxi balls down pretty hard, his gun stil shot really good though (my dad is a DARN good open sight shooter) After shooting paper patched and sized bullets i can't imagine ever going back to Lubed bullets, my bullets are sized 1-2 thousands under bore, they load like a dream! I swab between shots with a Windex/Alcohol mixture, the 10th shot loads the same as the first. You should give these paper patched and sized bullets a try Trigger! No more leading issues!
    Again, Good shooting!!

Boolit Buddy

Nice shooting there! I think you got a pretty standard T/C actually. From everything I've heard, and my own experience, those old T/C productions are, as a rule, good shooters.

You appear to be a good shooter too.

Perma-Banned
    Takes a fast twist to be called a Hotrod, The Hotrod stuff all started with Idahoron, if iirc Fly is the Guy that actually started the name for these fast twist 1:28, 1:30, 1-32, These are Fast. Your Stock TC barrel should be a 1:48 Twist which is about middle of the rd, (You have a Datsun 240Z, we have Lambo's) TC did the 1:48 to shoot roundballs, or Conicals. The Fast twist 'True Hotrods' are bullet masters! Tho ive heard of success with roundball and very light loads. Regardless the Twist Triggerhappy243 you have a good shooting rifle!! Now keep duplicating that!!

Beautiful! Good shootin'!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

Are you sure it was leading? I get that same hard to load feeling when I use Pyrodex and the Borebutter. It helps to use a hard felt lubed wad between the powder and the bullet. The main fouling I get is a crud ring where the bullet seats. But as long as I wipe every other shot it does not build up.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm with tomme boy on this one. The mild pressures in such a moderate black powder (or substitute) load do not "lead" the bore, that is, not in the way smokeless loads do. The powder fouling build-up causes more friction and eventually may cause some lead to rub off into the packed fouling. That's completely different from what we refer to as "barrel leading" in smokeless shooting, which is the result of the higher pressure.

I assert that you're experiencing simple powder fouling, which may or may not in turn result in some abrasion of subsequent bullets, and/or from the resulting higher pressures.

The only time I've found actual lead metal in a BP gun bore was after continuing to shoot a bore that was heavily fouled with hard powder residue. Keep the fouling soft, or swab more often, and there will be no "leading".

If that's a one inch group at 100, that's excellent. A group like that is fairly rare even for a modern rifle shot with iron sights. That is to say that most people can't do it even if the rifle can. I don't believe I've ever done it. For one thing you need pretty good eyes to resolve on that scale of 1 MOA.

If TC had been around in 1862 the war would'nt have lasted near as long.

Then again, the British would have started building them too.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    If TC had been around in 1862 the war would'nt have lasted near as long.

Then again, the British would have started building them too.
    Oh boy...don't get that topic started around here again.

you maybe correct but, just sayin..

Boolit Grand Master

Nice, keep it up. Brits in our Civil War?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Great shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    3 shots at 100 yards. 435 gr. T/C maxi-ball mold. on top of 90 gr./volume Pyrodex RS. Bullet lubed with Bore-Butter
    Nice shooting and yes, I believe that you leaded that bore. What appears on your dirty patch is real obvious.

The integrity / softness of various lead could splatter that Renegade bore using only 80 grains. All deoends on the lead and how it's cooked and lubed.

Banned

The paper patching will take care of that "leading". It will polish the bore to a mirror!

Boolit Master
    Glad the barrel with that bullet worked out for you, I believe I told you it would! That shows what a good TC barrel an slug can do, without paper patching, may do better with. I have harvested over 40 deer with a TC Hawken barrel on a Renegade, they were 1", and glass bedded the tang and barrel full length. I swab between shots with a solvent, on wet patch, on dry, never any issues, super accurate, and kills game like the hammer of Thor! I recently purchase another Hawken 1" to put on a renegade, love it for hunting back east here in KY!!

Boolit Master
    This wednesday, im gonna try it again. And the wednsday after that and after that.

Boolit Master

Excellent shooting! Nothing is safe at that distance.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast