Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 1895 Chilean Mauser

Boolit Buddy

1895 Chilean Mauser

I managed to score one at a pawn shop in a condition that can only be described as lightly carried. I think it was carried a bit, but never fired, and I don't think it ever had a bayonet affixed to it.

It's marked Ludwig-lowe. As far as I can tell, that puts manufacture at 1896 at the latest, since that firm later became DWM.

Now I want to shoot the darn thing. It's my understanding that the barrel has a long throat to accommodate a long, round nose bullet. As such, it may not perform well with spitzer type bullets. Any good bullet and load suggestions?

Super Moderator

..............The 1895 Chilean is a typical 7x57 small ring other then a couple differences that don't matter to it's operation. Are you wanting to shoot jacketed or cast? I have 3 Chileans. An infantry, short rifle, and a carbine.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............The 1895 Chilean is a typical 7x57 small ring other then a couple differences that don't matter to it's operation. Are you wanting to shoot jacketed or cast? I have 3 Chileans. An infantry, short rifle, and a carbine.

...........Buckshot

I intend to shoot a bit of both. I intend to go shoot some vintage bolt gun matches with it. If it does have a long throat, I think that would make it a good candidate for PP cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Mine does very well with Sierra 168 match bullet, in fact all I have ever shot are spitzer type J bullets. Sounds like you found one of the unissued ones, they sure are purdy. Mine was a little beat up but had a very nice bore with matching bolt.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Mine does very well with Sierra 168 match bullet, in fact all I have ever shot are spitzer type J bullets. Sounds like you found one of the unissued ones, they sure are purdy. Mine was a little beat up but had a very nice bore with matching bolt.

Dave
    My bolt doesn't match, but everything else does. It's not mint. There are some dings in the stock, and the wood shows some age, being darker than it would have been when new. All the metal is in excellent condition though. Rifling is still square at the muzzle. Not bad for a 121+ year old rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    It's marked Ludwig-lowe. As far as I can tell, that puts manufacture at 1896 at the latest, since that firm later became DWM.
    Since you haven't provided serial number I can only roughly give you this: letter prefix up to at least G were made in 1895.

It's my understanding that the barrel has a long throat to accommodate a long, round nose bullet. As such, it may not perform well with spitzer type bullets.
    Not true. The 1895 Chilean shoots most excellent with spitzer/pointed bullets. For a treat try some Sierra Match Kings.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Dutch
    I have found that you are correct about the Match King bullets in these old rifles. It's a shame with all the manufacturing methods today that a lot of new rifles shoot no better than some of these old warhorses. You just have to tinker around with them and enjoy them for what they are. Most shooters are unaware of how well some of them are made.

I have given several guys a fit when I out shot a new heavy barrel and a big scope with a Swede. They still haven't figured it out.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Since you haven't provided serial number I can only roughly give you this: letter prefix up to at least G were made in 1895.

Dutch
    I'm not keen on giving out serial numbers, but thanks for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Dutch
    I have found that you are correct about the Match King bullets in these old rifles. It's a shame with all the manufacturing methods today that a lot of new rifles shoot no better than some of these old warhorses. You just have to tinker around with them and enjoy them for what they are. Most shooters are unaware of how well some of them are made.

I have given several guys a fit when I out shot a new heavy barrel and a big scope with a Swede. They still haven't figured it out.

Dave
    That's called "craftsmanship". It's the work of people who took pride in their work and cared about the person that would be using it. That's gone now. These days, our guns are made by a bunch of entitled slackers whose only worry is drawing a paycheck to buy their weekend case of beer. They work for companies owned by collectives of people who neither know nor care anything about their product. That's why, for all our technology, we can't reproduce the quality of these old rifles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    That's called "craftsmanship". It's the work of people who took pride in their work and cared about the person that would be using it. That's gone now. These days, our guns are made by a bunch of entitled slackers whose only worry is drawing a paycheck to buy their weekend case of beer. They work for companies owned by collectives of people who neither know nor care anything about their product. That's why, for all our technology, we can't reproduce the quality of these old rifles.
    When I worked for a Federal Agency that issued Colts to some of the LEOs, a fellow agent from Hartford told me in so many words: You'd have no confidence in that Colt if you saw the morons that got off the bus in front of the Colt plant to make it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    When I worked for a Federal Agency that issued Colts to some of the LEOs, a fellow agent from Hartford told me in so many words: You'd have no confidence in that Colt if you saw the morons that got off the bus in front of the Colt plant to make it.
    Of course, if a company hired passionate, intelligent workers and produced a quality product, they'd go out of business. The majority of gun buyers can't discern the quality difference between a Holland and Holland sxs and a Stevens 311. As long as it's cheap, they don't care.

Boolit Bub
    My two Chileans, a 95 and a 1912 exhibit phenomenal accuracy all things considered. I have used SMK 168s, and am now going to see how cast will perform. I have no-drill scout scopes and mounts on both. My 60+ year old eyes don't do so well with iron sights anymore. I'd post targets but I have done so on other threads and methinks folks might be tired of seeing them.

If you read Chapter 24 of Olson's book, you'll get an idea about why they are built so well and so accurate.

Enjoy shooting yours. I sure get a kick out of shooting mine.

Jeff

Boolit Master

Mauser Books

Here are a few good books on Mauser rifles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser Books.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Old Western Scrounger just listed some of these Mausers in sadly used condition for just a bit more than $100 each... I ordered one with an original stock (still C&R eligible), I'll probably be disappointed but this was the first time in years I'm seen a distributor with any quantity of C&R arms!
    Last edited by trooperdan; 02-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    My '95 Chilean, shoots 130 gr cast very well indeed...seated slightly long...but not terribly so...
    I don't worry too much about what is supposed to be...I worry about what actually happens....and My '95 Don't miss unless the Shooter does!!!!