Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unknown mold: what is it? lyman 737

unknown mold: what is it? lyman 737

I received this mold in a large batch of relatively conventional molds. There are a couple other weird ones I'll ask about later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman 737 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	186874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman 737 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	186875WHAT IS IT?

.530 at base, flat base, .600 on the "flange/belt?" bottoms out my 505 scale.

Moderator Emeritus

A three digit number is usually the cherry number used to cut the cavity. Is there anything on the other side?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

737 mold

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    A three digit number is usually the cherry number used to cut the cavity. Is there anything on the other side?

I understand Lyman's mold nomenclature, unfortunately there is nothing else on the mold. Apparently this is a special of some kind.
    I have passed it around my gun club and most are as baffled as I am. Unfortunately I seemed to be getting baffled way more than I used to....

Banned

your missing the plug for the base.
    it's a nose pour.

Is it one of the Prot-X-Bore molds that held a zinc washer? Pop in a washer, close the mold, then cast the bullet. Supposed to act like a bore scraper, clean out the lead. Read about them before, but never saw a pic of one of the molds.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's a nose pour.
    Yes, a nose pour, but what is it for? No lube grooves and a massive belt? Along with being just a massive bullet--.530 dia 600-700 grains?

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvyMagnet View Post
    Is it one of the Prot-X-Bore molds that held a zinc washer? Pop in a washer, close the mold, then cast the bullet. Supposed to act like a bore scraper, clean out the lead. Read about them before, but never saw a pic of one of the molds.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Don't think so, I have read about them, thought most of those were for pistol calibers. I have not seen a Prot-X mold but I don't think this fits.

Banned

protex had a place for a washer but you poured through the washer and it was at the base with a little nib to lock it in place.

the base plug would have locked in the belt and either been a slight hollow or a flat.
    measure just above the belt.
    add about .0010 for the paper you'd wrap around the boolit and you'll have a bore diameter.

Do you have the base plug? The wide point may be for indexing an adjustable plug, but it seems that would make casting a bit of a hassle. At that size I'm thinking 54 caliber muzzleloader. Is the ring maybe for filling the grooves at firing? After that the hollow base expandsand gives a better grip on the rifling. Pushing it into the barrel will also scrape out some fouling.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    Do you have the base plug? The wide point may be for indexing an adjustable plug, but it seems that would make casting a bit of a hassle. At that size I'm thinking 54 caliber muzzleloader. Is the ring maybe for filling the grooves at firing? After that the hollow base expandsand gives a better grip on the rifling. Pushing it into the barrel will also scrape out some fouling.
    .070 difference between minor dia. and "belt" dia? I think it would do a whole lot more than scrape fouling. And need a hand sledge to get it down the bore.

Still looking for help on this mold, still as clueless as I was yesterday.

Help!

Have you contacted Lyman?

Boolit Master
    Lyman and Ideal both offered "Blank" moulds, blocks fitted out but no cavity cut, for those who wanted to try their own designs. Since your mould has only the assembly number on it, I would guess it was one of those originally.

As to the cavity, it's anyone's guess. Maybe for some kind of big bore "combustible" cartridge, though I couldn't find an exact duplicate of your casting in any of my books. You might send the picture to the NRA Q&A site and see what their historians can make of it.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    To me and my limited experience ,it broad but shallow . I would say most likely that it is an adjustable hollow base mould for a paper patched breach loading 54 cal rifle the belt would probably be the retaining groove for the base and pin . Paper cartridge is also a possibility . It is most likely a long range target design .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

thank you Harter.

It's a paper patch bullet, you are missing the hollow base plug that sits in the groove and forms a slight hollow for the pigtail to fold into. Sides are smooth because you would use a lube cookie or grease wad beneath the patched bullet.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    I contacted my BP mentor regarding this. He's dealt in some really 'different' stuff during his lifetime.

"That mold looks like it is a ML mold for a rifle or musket that used oiled linen or onion skin wrapped paper projectiles. It’s too large to be a Whitworth mold, (I never heard of a Whitworth over 45 cal.), but it is almost identical to the mold that I bought in England with a Whitworth rifle, also nose fed . I would hazard that it was for a 60 Cal. ML rifle that used oiled paper or linen wrapped slugs. Very interesting. When I was buying in the London auctions I saw many early ML African rifles of this approximate caliber, some side by side doubles."
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's a nose pour.
    Clean bottom to the mold no place to mount any kind of plate/plug.

Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    It's a paper patch bullet, you are missing the hollow base plug that sits in the groove and forms a slight hollow for the pigtail to fold into. Sides are smooth because you would use a lube cookie or grease wad beneath the patched bullet.
    Not convinced that is the solution, this is a smooth bottomed mold, no way to attach a base plug.

A completely separate part that has to held in position in the grooves as you are closing a hot mold does not sound like a fun option.

For fun look @ the Lyman 767 mold I posted, also .530 diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

The lyman pin is the base is a shouldered pin that has a cut out to fit over the bolt head and twist to hold it ( like a drill bushing or cam type lock) there appears to be a shoulder bolt on the bottom of the one block. Im thinking it is a hollow base or cupped base paper patched bullet for a 54 caliber rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast