Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you do this in your area

In Remembrance

Can you do this in your area

The logging road I haul out of is 33 miles long after you leave the payment, the more we log the longer it gets. After a sale is completed and the logger turns it back and moves his equipment off it becomes public. There are a few old log roads where you can turn off the main one, most just go a mile or three at the most and none goes anywhere. With no logging activity these roads get no maintenence, and no one plows them either, but are used by hunters, trappers, and for personal firewood.

Right now there is a trapper that parks at a turnout road at mile 2 1/2, he takes off from there on a newer honda pioneer side by side. I guess he doesn't like pulling his trailer, because he leaves his atv there in plain sight, just 2 1'2 miles off of the pavement when he goes home in the evening.
    Most places he would be loseing it after the first day or maybe hour. lol
    Maybe he is trying to collect insurance. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No, you can't do that in my area. They would take the ATV, any available trailer, any nearby gates and probably any nice sales-worthy trees in the vicinity. Sheesh.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    In this area while you were checking the oil in the ATV they would take your truck, trailer, lunch, and any thing else that wasn't welded down.

Perma-Banned

You can't do that in my area, either.

When I was a kid, what's now State Forrest behind the farm was at one time, (1880-1920-there abouts) logged heavy and hauled out with little Shay locomotives. Very little of the old Shay lines remain, but if you're looking and have a map, they're still there. Hard to follow at times, but the old Shay rail beds remain.

Perma-Banned
    most places around here you could do that. but anything within a 5 or 10 mile radius of the Town of Pulaski, the oil probably wouldn't get cool before it was on it's way to whoever buys such stuff so the perp can buy more drugs.

In Remembrance
    Atv's are a pretty hot item around here, so the guy is pretty gutsy in my opinion.
    Maybe he figures that he needs a snow machine worse, and will buy if this gets stolen.
    To be fair on most days there will be les than 15 or 20 people on this road, some of which work logging and are as honest as they come for the most part, but it just takes one even mentioning it to someone that isn't.

For the most part though, loggers leave their equipment in the woods during the off season, all of them claim it is safer than haveing it in town, and it is rare for anyone to mess with it.

Boolit Master
    No...
    If you leave stuff laying around in South Central Pennsylvania it will be gone in less time than it takes to tell about it.
    Thieves abound and apparently you can't do much about it except file a police report.

Boolit Master

Thats why it should be legal to booby trap things.

Boolit Master
    No way ..... gone down to old Mexico or Pomona...both places are basically the same thing.BUILD THE WALL!!!

Boolit Master
    Sadly you used to be able to do that all over Alaska, but in the past few years there have been cases of people leaving there trucks and trailers to go 4 wheelin or snow machining only to come back and find their trucks broken into, fuel siphoned, and/or catalytic converters cut off. Not to mention backwoods cabins being broken into.

I have a hard time of thinking of a single good reason thieving meth heads shouldn't be shot on sight.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to leave my Softtail on a tralier near the road when I went into camp because the road was too rough to make it with the trailer. I left it there when I was gone 3 or 4 days a week. Nothing but a tarp on it. No-one ever bothered it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    In my area not to much thievery yet, but we were told if we want something get a job and earn it! My remedy for thieving dopers would be a little surgery with castrating knife, at least that might get the attention of the other gang members!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There is one area here, you could leave y truck parked keys in it and unlocked. No one would bother it Lock it, take the keys, sure as hell, someone will break in, figuring something good must be in there.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Can you do this in your area

Yes, you could do that here. Lots of people but no one messes w/ other peoples stuff. Now if thieves come out of the city that's another thing. Plenty of people still leave their homes unlocked and a spare key is under the doormat. I don't recommend this and don't do it myself. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Probably a day here,. Came up the interstate Monday and someone had left a logsplitter on the side of the road. Surprised no one had loaded it up. But it would be work I guess

Banned

I have left my camper at the lake for a couple of weeks without even locking the door, and left my boat at the lake this summer for almost 2 weeks.
    I was using the boat about every other day or so but no one touched it or anything in it including my tackle boxes and fishing poles.

Boolit Master

Yes you can. Weeks before hunting season starts, people start scouting out the choice camping spots in the mountains and then "save" them by parking their RVs on site and leaving them unattended for weeks.

Dozens of them all over the mountains. My dad and brother did that last year on a moose hunt. Nobody messed with them.

And this was in a clearing just off a logging road about 15 miles from the pavement...

Attachment 186924

In Remembrance
    I am seriously considering taking my sawmill out and leave it on the sale for the summer, a service truck full of tools and a flatbed truck would accompany it if I do. We can gate the road at the start of the sale, which would be a couple of miles away from the equipment, which would stop honest folks from messing with it.

Boolit Master

Here in eastern Mo. just outside of a little town of 2000 or so, my buddy's house burned to the ground. He lived down a 1/4 mile driveway that was lined with houses. 3 days later a known felon drove a pickup truck down the driveway in broad daylight and hooked up to my buddy's 5X8 trailer and left. two weeks later the county sheriff found it and two others down on a pasture that the owner rarely uses. They got finger prints and arested the guy. No, little towns here are not safe.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast