Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: New .54 'Hotrod'

Perma-Banned

New .54 'Hotrod'

As many of you know i have been on a Quest for a Fast Twist .54 Cal for quite sometime now, i thought about a Knight MK-85 inline in .54 but after some thought i just can't get the 'bug' for an inline, i really like the Sidelocks. I ended up getting a New Lyman Great Plains 'Hunter' .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, I removed the stock sights from the Dovetails and installed a Lyman 17AEU Globe front sight and put a Lee Shaver fine post bead insert in it, hopefully i will get the Lyman 57GPR Tang Peep for it today, since i will be using Peep sights i fashioned a sight blank to fill the rear sight dovetail and installed it. I thoroughly cleaned the rifle (the barrel was factory NASTY with Goop/Grease!!) i read about Simple Green for removing such gunk, i gave it a go and it worked AWESOME! I have the barrel clean down to steel, i even have it loaded and ready to shoot, so im commited LOL! I weighed out some old cast Maxi balls and kept 10 that weighed within 1 grain of eachother, Ran them through my .539 sizing die, added 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and then a trip back through the .539 Sizing die, i am using .58 Cal Oxyoke wool over powder wads to create a good seal. My powder charge is 90 Grains of Swiss 2F, i weighed each charge on my beam scale, (i set my volume measure to 90 and then check weigh 2 or 3 charges in grains to get an average, then weigh my charges by grain with my beam scale, put the charges in little vials for the range session) The Maxis i am gonna try today look kinda rough from rolling around together, but they all weigh out the same and obviously sized the same, i plan on having a steel/iron mold made soon to my specs by Accurate molds, gonna go .532-534 with it. These Maxi's are just something to try for now. This rifle is TALL standing beside my TC's! Here is a Pic of it along side my others. Hopefully have a target to ad to this thread today!
    Attachment 186846

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking rifles. Have fun at the range today. I have to work...again. Haven't shot a gun in so long, almost forgot I own them.

Perm-Banned
    i had one of those in 50 cal. it shot sabots or paperpatch very very accurate. i did things to it to make it more reliable. shot gun primer nipple, better wood screws where needed, better back sight, cryo treated the barrel, recrowned it. i cut off the hooked butt plate and put a real nice straight shot gun butt plate on it. then i put a high quality lace up leather butt pad over that. then i gave it to my son in denver and he takes very good care of it. also made a nice aluminum ramrod for it. i cant leave any gun along, i have to up grade them as much as possible. i see your collect guns also. a couple years ago my wall wouldnt hold any more down stairs and every corner of the house had one in it. decided which ones i really wanted and sold the rest off. let us know how the 54 goes with paperpatching it. it can be done and done very well. i taught a shooter out of denver a couple years ago how to pp a 54 and he got 1 inch groups at 100 yards with it. you 54 has 5 thousands deep grooves and not 4 thousands like most fast twist. shouldnt make a difference, may even help.

Perma-Banned
    I didnt get the Lyman 57GPR peep til this evening so didn't get to shoot today, tomorrow is the plan! The Lyman 57GPR comes with a Shim and is definitely needed, but stil wasn't to my liking so i tinkered with it and eventually got it where i want it. I picked up a Box of Hornady Great Plains Bullets today so i will have something else to try besides these old beat up Maxi Balls, i cleaned the lube from 10 of them, ran them through my .539 sizing die, added 2 Wraps of onion skin paper and sent them back through the .539, if these end up shooting good they are readily available around here so will come in handy! I stil plan on having a mold made to my specs through Accurate Molds. Here is a pic of the bullets, and the 57GPR Peep and shim.
    Attachment 186907Attachment 186908Attachment 186909

Perma-Banned
    I shot this new rifle yesterday and it shot really good! I had enough stuff to shoot 6 times, it was COLD here yesterday, -4 at my Folks in the am so wasnt the most comfortable setting. Instead of shooting a Group i opted to Sight in, This being the first time firing this gun i had no idea where it was gonna hit, ended up being about 16" or so low, and about a foot to the right, i shot 6 times total, 4 were sight corrections and the last 2 were just above the bull, 50-60 yards is all i can get at my Folks place. I have a BUNCH of testing to do with this new rifle, and a few others, but its gonna wait til spring time when its more enjoyable to shoot.

Perma-Banned
    Attachment 187024

This is the bullet design from Accurate molds i am looking at having a custom mold made for this New Fast Twist .54, I plan to go .534 in Diameter, 2 wraps of 9# onion skin and ran through my .539 sizing die, will give a decent pinch on the paper, tightening it up good on the bullet.
    Johnson1942, If you dont mind running the numbers can you tell me the optimum Length for this 1:32 Twist?

Boolit Man
    600 + plus grains - That is a serious chunk of lead. That has BIG GAME written all over it.

Boolit Master
    that looks alot like the lyman 450 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Those big bore most never get the accuracy as smaller ones do. But I will keep up with your success. I love guys trying to get
    the most they can from a given rifle. I have a 54 GPR but it has slow twist round ball barrel. I bought a GRH 50 cal to build
    my Hot rod as to Rons advice. I shoot the same bullet & it shoots fantastic. Better than me. Hope the best for you & keep us posted.

Fly

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    that looks alot like the lyman 450 gr. bullet
    Trigger, I think they are REALLY close, Lyman makes a Great Plains bullet mold but im skeptical of Lyman molds, at least the newer ones.

Boolit Master
    i HEAR YA. i HAVE A 429421 AND IT CASTS .003 TOO SMALL FOR MY BORE AND CYLINDER.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    i HEAR YA. i HAVE A 429421 AND IT CASTS .003 TOO SMALL FOR MY BORE AND CYLINDER.
    Paper patch that bad boy & then size.
    Fly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Paper patch that bad boy & then size.
    Fly
    For a 44 mag revolver?

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! I love my .50cal GPH. It is even working with round balls now that I reduced the load some more. Probably not good for hunting but at the range it works. So far have 1" groups at 50yds.

I do need to order some PP bullets from Buffalo Arms.

Perma-Banned
    There are 2 different Paper Patch molds on Accurate molds that i have my eye on, i am waiting for a reply from Tom on them, They are 50 Cal Molds, if he can open them up to .532-.533 i will be placing an order for a 2 Cavity Iron Mold with each design.
    Attachment 187264Attachment 187265

Boolit Buddy
    I am anxious to see how you make out.I have the same rifle and want to have a load/bullet combination worked out before next years muzzleloader season.