Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 14" - No NFA Stamp Required,

OK say its legal with the feds But what about your states law interpretation on it ? I know there was a thread about is shotgun pistol thing on Pa firearms owners site and there are some conflicting wording of the Law at the state level . So you may want to check your state statutes before toting one of these around . Personally I cant really understand why one would take a chance when its only marginally shorter than a regular 500 with 18" barrel with regular legal pistol grip is that 3-4 " reduction really gonna make it that much better in any way . Even if completely legal Id personally never buy one or put a PG on any shotgun .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I emailed Mossberg the other day and got this response.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your email. Although the Mossberg 590 Shockwave is classified as a “pistol grip firearm”: under the Gun Control Act of 1968, and is not subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act, state and local laws may be more restrictive. Even though, it is legal federally, the 590 Shockwave may be considered a “short-barreled” shotgun or “assault weapon” by certain state and local laws; and therefore illegal to possess. Please check with your local authorities concerning the legality of possessing a firearm of this configuration. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Stainless steel and you have the Alaskan boonie gun of all time. What's not to like? It's a niche filler. Good for Mossberg! I like their style more and more.
    Having done various tests with a conventional 12 ga I've determined they are a poor choice for defense against bears, and reducing the terminal performance of a 12 ga by shortening the barrel and making it harder to aim would make a marginal choice less effective.

So, that's what's not to like.

Banned

The 12 Guage will smoke anything on earth, including any and every bear. Someone may choose some other firearm, but not because the 12 Guage is insufficient for smoking anything and everything on earth.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The ATF is known to reverse course. And it does it quite often.
    I'm aware of two such reversals by ATF going back in the 70's. One was a replica black powder cane gun. I'm told but never saw it in black and white. The importer of the cane gun was also working on approval of a black powder replica umbrella. The other was a spring loaded mechanism wound with a roller skate type key for AR-15 triggers.

Friend sent away for the replica cane gun advertised in Shotgun News and several weeks later got his money order returned. I believe but might be wrong the importer was a business named Morris Lanning.

I believe but could also be wrong, ATF did a reversal on tear gas pens and guns.

Banned
    To All,

I was once issued a WITNESS PROTECTION GUN (by Remington) & it was AWESOME to shoot & "saved my tender hide" more than once, when I was working warrants for the department.

99% of criminals have a general idea of what a "sawed-off" shotgun will do & generally CHOOSE to "go quietly" to jail, as they prefer that to a trip to the morgue.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

Mossberg 14" - No NFA Stamp Required,

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I'm aware of two such reversals by ATF going back in the 70's.....
    One of the most recent is the Sig arm brace. There have been more but I'm not going to list them.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    One of the most recent is the Sig arm brace. There have been more but I'm not going to list them.
    You can still have a Sig arm brace you just cant put in on your shoulder. So dont, just wear a shirt or a coat or a ........
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    You can still have a Sig arm brace you just cant put in on your shoulder. So dont, just wear a shirt or a coat or a ........
    Doesn't change the fact that there were approval letters from the ATF. Then they changed their mind. I'm not saying they do this all the time. But they do it often enough to make it confusing.

The fact that the laws are not black and white is a problem. There should be no gray areas. Bureaucrats should not be the ones making the laws. If the laws are so complex, or vague, so there are "loopholes" I question wether we need those laws or not. IMO we don't need them.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't change the fact that there were approval letters from the ATF. Then they changed their mind. I'm not saying they do this all the time. But they do it often enough to make it confusing.

The fact that the laws are not black and white is a problem. There should be no gray areas. Bureaucrats should not be the ones making the laws. If the laws are so complex, or vague, so there are "loopholes" I question wether we need those laws or not. IMO we don't need them.
    They didn't change their mind much. Bracing a pistol against your shoulder does not make it a rifle. On the other hand, adding a part for the purpose of bracing it against your shoulder means you're now intending for that weapon to be fired from the shoulder, which for a semiautomatic pistol means you have created an SBR.

It's the sort of legal distinction that, we're firearm regulations not the place where politicians go to die, would be quickly cleared up, but must exist by necessity.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, they did change their mind. They originally said misuse would not change the classification of the weapon. Then they changed their mind and misuse now changes the classification of the weapon. That's a complete reversal. Here is a good synopsis of what happened: http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/gra...-15-sig-brace/

You can find the letters from the ATF about this as well. They clearly state misuse was did not change the weapon classification. Then one day, it did. I won't deny that this particular product seemed like an end run around the NFA.

That whole saga is the grey area I'm talking about. There should Benin grey areas. I also think there should be no NFA, GCA, Hughes Amendment and many other gun laws.

Boolit Master

IMO we don't need them.
    I am a believer in personal freedom, I think this sort of firearm should be available to anyone who is legally able to buy a handgun.
    Personally, I have no use for one, at the moment. However, if at some point in my life and the situation is such that I need one, I would like to have the freedom and ability to buy one as easily as any other firearm.
    I do not own a semi automatic center fire rifle (AR) nor do I want one, at the moment, but if I ever needed one, I want the freedom to buy one.
    It's about freedom, not need.
    When you start thinking (need) you're thinking like a liberal democrat. They're quick to tell you what guns you need and should have.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    When you start thinking (need) you're thinking like a liberal democrat. They're quick to tell you what guns you need and should have.
    You do realize I was talking about gun laws and not needing them, right? I made no mention of needing a reason to own this Mossberg. It's not my style but if someone wants one then go get it.

Boolit Master
    I was understanding that this gun fell under the AOW category and did require a $5 tax stamp. It is legal since it was manufactured that way. If you were to modify a regular gun yourself, it would then be considered manufacturing and you would have to do the Tax stamp for making it or something like that.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I was understanding that this gun fell under the AOW category and did require a $5 tax stamp. It is legal since it was manufactured that way. If you were to modify a regular gun yourself, it would then be considered manufacturing and you would have to do the Tax stamp for making it or something like that.

Rosewood
    Nope, it's just a "firearm" and no tax stamp is required. If the overall length was shorter or it had a stock, it would be an NFA firearm.

Banned

id have to ask what the heck its good for. Even in a home defense shotgun id rather have an 18 inch stocked gun. To me it falls into the same category as those lever action mares legg pistols. About useless. More of a horses %%% then a mares leg

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    id have to ask what the heck its good for. Even in a home defense shotgun id rather have an 18 inch stocked gun. To me it falls into the same category as those lever action pistols. About useless.
    Range toy IMO. But there's nothing wrong w/ having some of them

Boolit Master

You do realize I was talking about gun laws and not needing them, right? I made no mention of needing a reason to own this Mossberg. It's not my style but if someone wants one then go get it.
    I am guilty of not reading your full statement, yes you were talking about the law and not the gun. I apologize for my assumption.
    However, I feel that my statement applies to those who feel a firearm such as this has no practical use. In the right circumstance this gun can be just the right tool for the job.

Banned

ya I guess whatever turns you on. Because I don't like it doesn't mean others wont.
    Range toy IMO. But there's nothing wrong w/ having some of them

Banned

maybe trump will get rid of those silly short barreled laws and let up buy a practical short barreled gun without a stamp or hassle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast