Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: What were the first mold(s) you used and how did you acquire it/them?

Voters
545. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee molds, purchased.

259 47.52%
  • Lee molds, given, borrowed.

20 3.67%
  • Other brand mold, purchased.

214 39.27%
  • Other brand mold, given, borrowed.

52 9.54%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Quick poll on first molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lee had not begun making molds when I first started casting, and those Lyman SC's owned by my neighbor's dad were instrumental in determining my own initial purchases. I bought a Lachmiller and a Cramer mold at a Yard sale and for years I used them--still have them, though both have been replaced by 4 or more cavity molds now. Both are iron alloy molds.

I am not a fan of Lee molds for beginners. It is easier to learn on a steel or iron mold than it it is on an Aluminum mold. However, for the more experienced caster, those 6 cavity gang molds are the bomb for producing piles of boolits fast.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    The first mold I had was a Lyman 452460 swc for a 45acp. Still have it and shoot it as well as a noe H&G #68 clone.

Boolit Buddy
    First was an H&G 68.

Boolit Bub
    1st mold was Lyman 457125 for 45-70 still have and still use it, got it in 1957. 1st mold I purchased was Lyman 311467, still have it and still use it. Got it about 1957 nor 1958.

Bob Maerdian

Boolit Master
    Lyman Dbl. Cav. .375 R.B. For .36 Navy Arms copy of the 1851 Navy percussion revolver. I was 16 and taught myself how to run ball on an old wood fired cast iron range using a 10# cast iron pot that just fit in the smaller hole in main burner lid. & an old spoon. Soon graduated to the Lyman dipper. Using that old wood fired range thru the years, I cast everything from Lyman 225415 up thru Lyman 575213. Gave up the wood stove when a co-worker took pity on me when I was just getting into handgun silhouette and sold me a little SAECO electric

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the early 80s, traded some gun slings for a zouave rifle. It came with a round ball and a minie ball mold (lyman I believe). Not knowing a thing about casting, I busted up some old batteries I had, melted the plates down on the kitchen stove (REAL forgivivg wife). What a pain those minie's were!
    A couple years later, I got a colt saa clone in 45 and bought a lee mold. WAY easier. That dipper had to go!

Boolit Grand Master

My first bullets were cast with a 4 cavity Lyman. I don't remember the numbers but I still have them. A 180 grain 30 caliber, a 130 grain 30 caliber and a 230 grain 45 caliber. I later bought several 2 cavity RCBS molds and recently bought a few 4 cavity H&G molds from members here. They all make good bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    My first mold was a Lyman 429421. Cast for my S&W 629 Classic. Still going strong after 20+ years of service. I usually cast enough bullets to last me a couple of years nowadays.

Mid seventies, first one was a single cavity Lee 150 grain round nose for .38 Specials.
    Made oodles and scads of boolits. And it's still good to go.

Boolit Bub
    I've recently started shooting, reloading and casting:

• new 2 cavity LBT 316-160 LFN (I was glad to let Veral decide what I needed)
    • new 4 cavity NOE 316-202 RN (haven't shot these yet)
    • new 4 cavity MP 311-180 (haven't shot these yet either)
    • used 2 cavity IDEAL 311466 152 gn (in the mail)

Boolit Bub
    Started a month or so ago with a LEE and have since aquired 2 MP molds. Have yet to load a single one. Been having enough fun just casting boolits so far.

My first mould was a Lyman 2 cavity in 44. Since then I have been collecting/using Hensley & Gibbs with 2 old original Carpinteria CA SAECO's for 45 auto.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I started with a couple of Lyman molds, and liked them, but then tried a couple of Lee molds to compare. Liked them too. They're all keepers. Then I added a couple of old-old Lyman/Ideal single cavity molds I found on Gunbroker-- and they work great too.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Just realized I could finally vote!

Boolit Grand Master

1968 Lee single cavity 309150. Still have it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have quite a few moulds from 12 makers .
    A few cast easier than others and a few that require attention to detail .
    In the end product where they fit well , and some do better but are designed for a specific chamber , it's hard to tell whether they were top shelf or bargain basement .
    Attachment 192272
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

All of my moulds are steel except a 230gr Lee I bought to try with the 300 BO and sub PC loads with a can. First mould was a Lyman 2 cavity 148 gr solid base WC, still have it after 50 years. Cast them on the stove in a cast iron frying pan using a dipper, I shot them as cast, pour lubed in a cake pan, then cut with an empty case, wrapped with speed tape, with the base cut off. Very frugal days.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Buddy

First mould: thompson center .490 RB in 1977-78, thereabouts...

It is still in my inventory.

Boolit Master
    Before this site and before I knew much of anything about casting I started out with a Lee double cavity mold. Let me tell you knowledge goes a long way to helping ease the frustration levels of casting. Many, many years ago I threw my second Lee double cavity mold into the trash can in my shop and now looking back I could have easily fixed that mold with a little time. I still do have a few Lee molds however most all others are from custom mold makers.

Boolit Master
    First mold was the Lee 6-cav 452-200 SWC.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast