MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

View Poll Results: What were the first mold(s) you used and how did you acquire it/them?

Voters
545. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee molds, purchased.

259 47.52%
  • Lee molds, given, borrowed.

20 3.67%
  • Other brand mold, purchased.

214 39.27%
  • Other brand mold, given, borrowed.

52 9.54%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Quick poll on first molds.

I got my casting start years ago, when a friend lent me his Lyman 452374 double, and his Lee 10lb pot.
    I just bought my own 452374 tonight, used.
    Most of my molds are Lee though.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    My first mould was a Ranch Dog RD311-165-RF.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

My Dad gave me a LYMAN #358495 2cav about a week after I got out of the Service in 1975. I had aquired an old COLT COMMANDO while on the east coast. He gave me a LYMAN #452460 1cav three months later when I got my first .45 Auto. I got the handles too.

My DAD would have never owned a LEE mold. Although he bought 3 used LEE 44cal 2cav molds at a gun show. FOR ME to cast bullets for COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING with our COLT SAA's in .44SPL.
    He passed less than a month later. June 1988.
    Last edited by Walks; 06-23-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I was "forced" in 1976 to obtain a Lyman 311316. My father gave me a Stevens .32-20 and one box of ammo. Then, it was up to me to procure any more rounds. I doggedly assembled reloading gear with teen job money, but you know right then no manufacturers offered jacketed .311-.312 pistol sized bullets! I was stuck, until I learned of casting and bought that mold. I still have it. Lyman ceased its production.

Lyman 357446. That was in '73 and Lee didn't make moulds back then.

I bought a used Lee pot and molds at a nearby gun store in my 20s. I didn't know what I was doing but figured it out. Tumble lube and push-through sizing was great for me at that stage. Still is, but I'm about to start powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    One of the best reasons to buy a gun is that you got "such a deal" on components. My first 9mm came to me after an elderly friend gifted me with a shot bag half full of 9 mm surplus ammo.
    I've had several "deals" like that over the years. It's amazing what the human brain can justify when it wants to!

Boolit Buddy
    My first mold was a Lyman 2-cavity 358156 (155 gr SWC). I had gotten a Lyman lube-sizer at an auction for $20 (it was in pieces and required me to send it back to Lyman for some repairs) and decided I needed to make use of it. Mixed up some Lyman #2 as best I could and went from there. That was back in the mid '80's and I've been climbing the learning curve from there.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What I like about Lee Molds is that they are inexpensive enough that you can try out different boolit weights. When you get used to casting and know what your gun likes, you can order a custom mold just the way you want it.

Started with a RCBS 2 hole, then ebay for a couple of Ideal 2 hole, then a few MP brass 4 bangers & last was an Arsenal 4 hole. Still don't own a Lee mold. Not sure why that is.

My first purchase was a single Lee 150 grain .358 round nose. Wheel weights dropped into water were so hard you could dig them out of wood and find no deformation except the rifling marks. Them's was some gooood wheel weights!

Boolit Mold
    my first was lee .490 for 50 muzzzle loader ,, today paul jones , and brooks molds for bpcr guns ,, wll be the last ,,, wade

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I had the opportunity to buy out an older gentleman who used to come by my shop. We both had .45’s and we would talk about reloading and shooting. He brought me some bullets he had cast, they were lubed up and ready to load. He was the one who got me interested in casting. When I bought all his loading and cast equipment, his health was failing. I was supposed to go by his house the following week and he was gonna give me a casting lesson. He passed away the day before. Bittersweet memories. At any rate he had both Lee and Lyman molds so that’s what I started with.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I had the opportunity to buy out an older gentleman who used to come by my shop. We both had .45’s and we would talk about reloading and shooting. He brought me some bullets he had cast, they were lubed up and ready to load. He was the one who got me interested in casting. When I bought all his loading and cast equipment, his health was failing. I was supposed to go by his house the following week and he was gonna give me a casting lesson. He passed away the day before. Bittersweet memories. At any rate he had both Lee and Lyman molds so that’s what I started with.
    That is sad, but at least his equipment is in the hands of someone who both appreciates it and knows who it came from.

I had an older friend who passed away last year. He would often beat me to Nix or Larry's gun stores on Saturdays and grab good deals on revolvers before I could. I was trying to buy one or two guns from him in the years before he got sick, but he never got around to finding something he wanted to sell me. His daughter was out of state and had professional estate folks sell all his stuff and all his guns ended up on Gun Broker. I did go by the estate sale and got a couple of small things that can go to the range with me.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I remember Nix well !!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I remember Nix well !!
    I probably saw you in there. I was there a LOT from the mid 80s until it was gone.

My introduction to casting was in 1959 followed my purchase of a Winchester '73 in 38-40. I bought a Ideal single cavity #40143.

Boolit Buddy

First boolit mould was a H & G 4-cavity 400 gr 45-70 Started casting in 1964 because I bought a cut down 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifle for $35 Had alot of fun hand lubing and reloading rail punch 45-70 empties. Going blasting in an old strip mine pond was lots of fun. I would gather up all my empties and go home and cast more boolits and load em up again.

Boolit Master

My first mold was a LEE 38 150gr SWC 2 cavity!
    I cast plenty of boolits with it !
    Next was a 4 cavity SAECO 38 158 SWC and I still have some boolits from it!

Boolit Buddy
    First molds used were Lyman 2 cavity round ball, borrowed from my neighbor Clark Flake along with his Lyman pot and dipper. First mold bought, a single cavity Lyman 452460, purchased used at a gun store.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast