Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Early Model Contender 10" in .410/45 Colt-What's it worth?

Boolit Buddy

Early Model Contender 10" in .410/45 Colt-What's it worth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	186790Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	186788Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	186787Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	186786Hello all, I have a very cean, early model 10" Contender with original wood furniture I'm considering selling. Its the 10" vented barrel in .410/45 Colt with the beaded front, rear flip up sight. I do not have the choke wrench for it. I've owned it for almost 8 years and have fired it about a half dozen time using .410 shot. I've also got a Pachmayr Decelerator grip for it. I'm in AZ and wondering what the average market $ is for these things is. I know very little about them, and I could use the space in the safe. Thanks in advance for any insight! (I'll try and get Pics up later)

Edit: Front sight is ramp post, not a bead. Shows how much time I've spent behind this one. Blue is near perfect, wood stocks have a few dings. I'd call it 90-95%.
    Last edited by Bula; 01-31-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Pics and revised desc.

Boolit Master

without seeing it I'd say in my area that's a $425-$475 range. I've seen several come and go & much more than that and they seem to sit for a while. Just my .02 worth.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    It may be hard to sell complete. Not much intrest in that caliber anymore. Splitting up the frame and barrel will attract more buyers

Actually that is the funnest barrel I have for a contender. They are hard to find and go for $200 if you have choke and wrench. The choke is the important part. The 45/410 barrels without the vent rib are worth a lot less.

The point to remember is IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A 45COLT it is just a legal way to make a legal 410 pistol. And its a very good one.

I shoot clay birds squirrels and rabbits with mine. Quail are beyond me but my dad is a wizard with the thing and never misses so he could probably do that.
    Last edited by bearcove; 01-31-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information Bearcove. It is choked, but I don't have the wrench.

You can make one out of sheet steel. I never take mine out, like I said its a shotgun with the choke.

They have a very long chamber I won't even call it a throat cause it is really a 410 chamber cut after a 45colt chamber is cut. Also the rifling is weak to not spin the shot as much. The choke is ribbed to choke the shot and remove spin which would spread the pattern. One of T/Cs best ideas for barrel options. I take mine on hunts for pot meat.

They pattern pretty good at 25 yds 30 max for mine. #4-9 shot work, 6-7 1/2 seems best. Great walking gun for small game better than any pistol with shotshell for snakes.
    Last edited by bearcove; 01-31-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master
    I have a vent-ribbed 45/410 barrel with a bead site. They seemed to like making as many different barrel combinations as possible. For value I'd agree with jeepyj, although I'd probably offer $400.

I'll give you $400 for it. If you don't want it. I got 3 boys they will wear it out. LOL!

Need to look for a 410 reloader next....

Boolit Master

When you first asked there were no photos. That contender would bring $450.00 around here easy especially since if you have spare pacs to go with it. I looks very nice. Good luck! Personally I wouldn't go any lower than $400.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

TC .410 pistol

I have two of the TC .410 contender`s both 10inch stainless, they are so much fun. I shoot Skeet, never shot a straight (25) but have done a few 24`s , at my club we only shoot singles with single shot gun`s . I use them to hunt grouse and woodcock , and did pretty good with only one shot. About the wrench to take out the choke I just saw one on evil bay . make sure to use a good grease on the choke threads. Have fun. PS. I won`t sell mine . I think 450/500 would be a good price Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0416.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	186871
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0415.jpg  
    Last edited by fivegunner; 02-01-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot to add that I would not sell mine

Aw come on! I was trying to figure out how to tell the wife why I needed $400.

But yeah they are fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen, you've all been a great help. As I wiped the pistol down to snap a few pics, I may have fallen back in love with the ol' gal! I haven't sold a gun in a loooong time. Just because I don't find much utility in it (for now anyways), doesn't mean my 11yr old son won't! If I recall correctly, I paid very little for this one, I'm keeping it.

Thanks All,
    Bula

Boolit Master
    I always regretted selling a gun. I would keep it unless you need the cash.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I fully agree with Bearcove. It is tied with my 32/20 for my favorite Contender barrel. The pattern of the #6 pellets from mine is good for grouse out to 20 yards (maybe a bit more) and with 0/0 buck, keeps the majority of the shot on a paper plate at 12 yards. I also never take out the choke to shoot the 45 LC due to extraction issues.