MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Contender/Encore peep sights?

Boolit Master

Contender/Encore peep sights?

Does anyone have experience with a peep-and-post sight for the TC Encore or Contender? I haven't seen anything of the sort, but I do kind of miss the iron sight benchrest shooting after selling my Enfield a few years back.

Boolit Master
    I had one years ago that was made by Williams Gun Sight I believe. It didn't work well, it wasn't straight and it didn't seem to go back correctly. After playing with it a while I ended up giving it away. Might be just me, but I didn't care for it. Like any long range sight, it has to be level and machined to tight tolerences.

Boolit Buddy
    Skinner sights make a nice one for the Contender and many other rifles.

Boolit Master
    Are you talking about a ladder sight? If so, I'm no help.

Otherwise, I have an original TC made Contender 30-30 carbine barrel on which I mounted a TC peep sight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contender.jpg 
Views:	951 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	186860

Had to put a hunk of lead in the buttstock to help balance and recoil, but with lite to moderate loads it makes a nice walk-about gun.

Boolit Master

Some of TC's original Super 14 barrels came from the factory with peep sight...made by Williams, IIRC.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have the Williams peep that came on my Katadyn .460 barrel, but it's not quiiiite what I'm looking for. I'd prefer click adjustable. The skinner at least looks more manageable than the Williams, which is an exercise in frustration at best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Are you talking about a ladder sight? If so, I'm no help.

Otherwise, I have an original TC made Contender 30-30 carbine barrel on which I mounted a TC peep sight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contender.jpg 
Views:	951 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	186860

Had to put a hunk of lead in the buttstock to help balance and recoil, but with lite to moderate loads it makes a nice walk-about gun.

I have been looking for some of those adjustable rear peep sights. They are long ago discontinued. I notice lots of used and old stock sights resembling this but with a blade rear. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the blade with a piece of flat stock drilled and tapped for an aperture. I have lots of apertures lying around.

I have a pair of the Williams blade sights for pistols with knob adjustments. I have the one set up on a .22 match pistol barrel and it holds zero and responds to adjustments very positivly. The peep sight version is next on my list for a few rifle barrels I've picked up recently. Its a good sight for target work and well lit hunting...the skinner would be a good option for a strictly woods walking gun.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    I have the Williams peep that came on my Katadyn .460 barrel, but it's not quiiiite what I'm looking for. I'd prefer click adjustable. The skinner at least looks more manageable than the Williams, which is an exercise in frustration at best.
    I recently picked up a prohunter in 460, I had the williams peep rear, but it came loose this morning and went AWOL, Do you know where a guy can find the windage slider& apeture?
    Did you keep the Williams or go a different route? I am half tempted to just screw on a Pic mount& use a reflex sight.
    Nra
    Jpfo life
    SAF life