WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your favorite pickup tires?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I love tires. I should have started my own tire business since I love researching, buying, and trying out all different tread types.

My latest tires I've tried have been Coopers. Ran the ST MAXX last year and they did very well in snow, dirt, and mud. A little loud on the street, but a great looking tire...

Attachment 186689

Just before the snow hit this year, I went to a milder tread that I thought would do a little better in the snow and still work well in the mud. They are the Cooper AT3s.

They are better on the road with a very smooth and quiet ride. Decent mud and dirt performance, but snow not as good as I hoped. I actually think the ST MAXX tires did a little better...

Attachment 186690

Yes to the ST MAXX, best and longest lasting tire I have run out here. When this set finally wears out another set is going on!

Banned
    Hankook, after my last go around with Cooper tires you could not give me a set. Bean stubble would cause flats faster than you could change them. Will never own Michelin's after Viet Nam

Boolit Master
    I also am a Cooper fan. I bought my first set in "86, and have been buying them ever since. The last set Cooper Discovery whatever they are, I have had all kinds of front end trouble. I have had them out of align more than they have been in, and with care, and rotating, they are still past the expected mileage!! had I not had all the issues, I would have gotten another 20k out of them easily. oh, well, 220,000 miles on the ol' Dodge, and I guess something had to wear out.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

Ironically, I went out to my dad's place in the country to shoot on his range. He's in AZ for a couple of months, but his drive had been plowed a couple of times by a friend.

I went out and there was still 6" of fresh snow on the plowed section and a foot and a half of wet old snow everywhere else. Was turning around to go home and couldn't see that I was backing into the unplowed area and got stuck, bad.

Had to use 4-lo and a shovel to get out. I think my old ST MAXX tires would have done better in that deep, wet snow...

Christmas tree hunting with the AT3 tires...

Attachment 187125

Trying out the old ST MAXX is the rare mud last year...

Attachment 187126

Boolit Master
    I had a set of the Cooper AT/3 on a jeep Cherokee. They really did well out here in the desert and they type of terrain I was willing to venture. I sold the jeep and now have a 2015 Ram 2500 with Cummins motor. The truck came with the Transforce HT which is a fantastic highway tire that I would put up against the Michelin.
    I pulled those off and went with the Discover ATP which is exclusive to Discount Tire. I was looking to put the AT/3 but a good friend had the ATP on his 3500 Ram and they had about 35K on them and looked to be about half tread. He said he was able to get close to 60K out of the last set.
    Another recommended tire I see a lot is the Toyo fun country. They wear real well on the heavier diesel trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I just put the Hankook Dynapro's on my Dodge, 275/60/20, $905 OTD. They work well in the ice & snow, they replaced a set of Goodyear Wrangler HT's that still had about 40% tread but might as well been slick in snow & ice. I think the Wranglers are just too hard a tire, long wearing but too hard for ice ....
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 02-04-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

Nitto Terragrappler. Currently running G2s on my tundra and really like them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Me, I like the ones that say "Made in USA " on 'em. Pretty much limited to Goodyear and Cooper, maybe some of the "Kelly" brand also made by Goodyear ? We roll on Coopers. Generally get 'em when they give you a gift card for buying 4.
    Bridgeston/Firestone make them here. I pickup and deliver to a place next door and one across from them in Wilson, NC. Big plant.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    I'm done with Goodyear's, had 4 sets on 4 different vehicles, poor mileage, uneven wear and crummy traction on all once they got some miles on them. Last set was on a Honda CRV and after 20-25,000 miles they had so much road noise and gave such a rough ride it made the vehicle unpleasant to drive. Switched to Coopers on the recommendation of a local shop and the vehicle drove like brand new for the next 50,000 miles until I traded it. Tires still had alot of life too at that point. Use Michelins on my minivan at work and the gave well over 70,000 miles of service and still gave an excellent ride, very good traction and were nice and quiet even when fully worn.

Boolit Buddy

I just picked up a used '07 Tundra. Off road package with an additional 2" lift. Has Cooper 275/70/18 S/T MAXX's on it. Have 7/32 tread left on them. Tires are 6 years old by the date stamp. I got this truck for hunting. Got tired of getting stuck in my '88 S10. This isn't an every day driver. It's my weekend fun truck. Read all the threads here. I think I'll replace these with another set of the same. I need the mud traction. Don't have to worry about snow. It's 2WD so I need something that's got good bite in the mud.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

My favorites were the ProComp Xtreme A/T. I say "were" because they have all but killed off that line of tires. Las tI checked they only had them in a couple sizes. Nonetheless, I loved them. I had them on my everyday driver Toyota Tacoma. They were a fantastic all around tire. Worked well on dirt/gravel, good in snow, good on the street and wet roads. They also looked aggressive but weren't excessively loud. They wore well and held up to my style of driving. The only other tires I've ever used on my trucks are BFG's and Coopers. Both were decent tires although I've never been overly impressed with the street traction of the BFG's. I'm currently running BFG Mud tires on my truck. I got them on sale and I know that they are decent tire.

Boolit Master
    My son has been using General Grabbers AT2 or maybe AT3 ( don't remember which) and loves them. He first had them on his 95 Chevy 1\2 ton 4wd and didn't need to us 4wd all winter in the snow. He will buy them again
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's...

Are they the best?? No idea, but this is the third set of them I've put on my truck and they've always worked great.
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Banned

whether there the best is arguable. Whether there a great tire is not.;
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun-adian View Post
    BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's...

Are they the best?? No idea, but this is the third set of them I've put on my truck and they've always worked great.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234