Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite pickup tires?

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    When I had a pickup I always ran Michelin tires.
    They wore well and got me through the mud, snow and what have you.
    Ran them on a International Harvester Scout for several years in the early 1980s that got a lot of off-road mileage. They held up well for that as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    "Hey baby, how bout you and me having some fun"? Oh tires, not tries. Sorry.
    Mine was " what's your sign "....back when Disco was cool !

I can honestly say I've never heard of a tire fetish !

Boolit Master
    Labardigger1 Them tires are small rock keepers. I was glad when I got rid of them not long ago. Over half tread I gave them away.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second the General Grabber AT2, on my second set. First set ran for 85000 miles.

Boolit Grand Master

Last two sets have been Hankook Dynapro ATm no complaints. Full set 285-70-17 10 ply mounted and balanced for 880.00, can't beat it with a stick.
    Charter Member #148

My wife's family has had a Tire Shop for 35 years. I've worked in it for 13.
    Michelin being the exception, there ain't a beans worth of difference in pretty much any of them. Either the tire is suited to your driving needs or it's not. One brand better than another is a literal joke we laugh at around here. Again, a Michelin WILL run and ride better than most. That's why you have to sell a kidney to pay for them. AND, Do NOT be fooled by Wal-Mart/Sam's Club Michelin. They are certainly not reject or substandard but they are vastly inferior to the michelin you buy at a retail outfit. Reason being, when Walmart offers a contract, you FIND a way to fulfill it. Joe Blow's Tire shop orders a couple dozen tires for inventory.....Walmart..tens of thousands. Again, they are not junk BUT, Walmart doesn't negotiate their contracts. You take it or leave and no manufacturer in their right mind turns them down. SO, you find a way to meet cost. Usually at the expense of quality.

Pick the load range and tread pattern you need for your driving habits and buy whatever you have money for. Proper alignment, proper inflation and regularly rotating them is the life of a tire.

And plys are about a joke too. I hear people tell me every day...I gotta have a 10 ply tire. Yeah? Good luck. With rare exception, you ain't gonna find much of anything over a 5 ply tread and a 3 ply sidewall. For 99% of us there is absolutely no need of it. With modern materials, number of plys mean nothing. Either they are engineered to bear the load or they are not.

I liken tire to shotgun shells. No matter how much you explain to people about why "high brass" doesn't mean anything any more, they will not listen. Which is fine, it's their money. Sell them what they HAVE TO HAVE. Do it with a smile and good service, then laugh when they leave.

I will say though, there are cheap cråp tires out there like a Firestone FR380 or certain "house brands" but for the most part, they are all the same.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Labardigger1 Them tires are small rock keepers. I was glad when I got rid of them not long ago. Over half tread I gave them away.

They can and will steal gravel, I agree with you 100%. It is the nature of the beast when running open lug tread. For me however, it's a small trade off for a tire that does well and self cleans the mud and snow.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    They can and will steal gravel, I agree with you 100%. It is the nature of the beast when running open lug tread. For me however, it's a small trade off for a tire that does well and self cleans the mud and snow.

I'm sure you do but keep those rotated every 8-10K. All those open tread designs love to get flat spots on them and once they start wearing like that, you can't hardly smooth them back up again. I tell everyone who buys a mud grip or all terrain tire, stay on top of rotating them.

I did have one customer who could fix any tire with flat spots. His truck had a ZZ502 crate engine from GM with a Th400 tranny and would EASILY smooth those back tires up. LOL!!!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    B.F. GOODRICH T.A. - KO'S. The off roads boys love em for a reason. Think Baha 1000.

Boolit Master
    Michelins are my first choice. Hankooks are my second. If the savings is worth it I will choose Hankooks over Michelins.
    East Tennessee

When I had my Explorers and did alot of tracking of wounded game for the police, I ran Cooper Discovery M/S all year.. I did alot of driving on small gravelroads, lumberroads, mud, offroad, wet slick pastures, plowed fields, snow et.c. I only drove about 1/3 of my milage on paved roads, but didn´t think of any noice.
    Never had any problem with them. Good thing was that the thread design was self cleaning.. Ran some Firestone for a while with a pattern that just clogged up with mud and turned into slicks..

When you try to pull out a big moose bull that you just have put down after tracking it 1 mile out on a freshly plowed field.. 2am and rain.. slicks are no good!

Boolit Grand Master

These are the best I have found to date http://generaltire.com/tires/light-t...uv/grabber-at2

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    B.F. GOODRICH T.A. - KO'S. The off roads boys love em for a reason. Think Baha 1000.
    Those tires went through a significant redesign a couple of years ago. I wanted to try them out, but over $300 per tire was a little rich. My Cooper ST MAXX tires were $260 each and the AT3s were only $199 each.

I ran a set of the old style on my Suburban in AZ and they did pretty good on sand and rocks, but then I moved to Idaho and they did not impress me in the snow. Very hard rubber compound. Supposedly the new style is much better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    These are the best I have found to date http://generaltire.com/tires/light-t...uv/grabber-at2
    I put a set of those on a mini-van once when I lived deep in the AZ outback. They did great! Have almost bought them again for a couple of different rigs, but keep finding other designs I want to try out.

Boolit Buddy
    General Grabbers for summer tires, Blizzaks for winter. The Blizzaks are phenomenal.

Eric

Boolit Grand Master

Yokohama's were a jack of all trade, master of none but held up good to dirt roads, rocks and tree limbs when getting firewood and were reasonably quiet on the road. I got almost 80,000 miles out of a set.

Winter, Hakkapeliitta. Hands down if you can find them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Firestone Transforce have done well for me. My application: 3500 series diesel pickup towing a 15500 lb 5th wheel trailer. 55000 to 60000 miles and removed before being totally worn out.

Banned
    Hankook, you couldn't give me a Cooper

Boolit Master

Michelin put them on my truck 50000 miles ago rotate them every 7000 miles still looking good
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Been a fan of BFG my whole life, but the last 3 sets of tires I've bought have all been Falkens. First set was because I got a great deal, last two have been because I've really liked 'em.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast