Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Gizzards in the slow cooker - Yum

Boolit Grand Master

WOW ! After letting the gizzards and gravy go all day in the slow cooker I am here to tell you they were so tender the spoon would easily go right through them...a SPOON !
    The gizzards, gravy and rice were wonderful. If you want tender gizzards, all day in the crock pot does the trick ! Next time I make gizzard gumbo they will get tenderized in the slow cooker before going into the gumbo pot.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmmmmmm.Mom had a surefire way to have very tender gizzards.
    Pressure cooker for a little while,then bread in seasoned flour(salt,pepper and garlic powder) and pan fry.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm.Mom had a surefire way to have very tender gizzards.
    Pressure cooker for a little while,then bread in seasoned flour(salt,pepper and garlic powder) and pan fry.
    Leo
    It's funny , my mom was leery of pressure cookers, I think a relative , back in the 1940's had a bad experience with one, explosion in the kitchen ! And as a result she never owned a pressure cooker , since she taught me cooking I never bothered to fool with one. Slow cooker and microwave were different , she embraced those. Might have to look into this pressure cooking stuff.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Modern Pressure cookers are totally different animals then back in the 40's I seriously would doubt that a modern one would blow up ( cooking on a stove that is)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Most modern ones have blow out plugs that let go if the pressure goes to high.

Boolit Master
    She was also VERY picky to clean the pressure relief tube on the top of the lid.Her pressure cooker was from the 40`s.Swabbed the relief tube with a pipe cleaner.Keep that cleaned,and should not have any meals that are"wall to wall and tree top tall".
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Well got that feeling again - put in the crock pot and added can of mushroom soup and thought I saw a package of gravy but it turned out to be onion soup - I said what the heck try it - it's pretty good combo - put in can of milk to help meld the flavors. Yum
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    For a little extra flavor,try adding a container size of your choice of green olives to that mixture,and then ladle that over some rice of your choice cooked with some chicken broth.Pretty good stick to your ribs meal.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Wen I want really good gizzards it's Go Chicken Go in Kansas City. If I fry them up at home I spend a lot of time trimming the gristle out of each piece and then they all get tender in the short fry time.

Today I'm going to give this a try. Getting ready to do a light pan fry and then make gravy from the dripping and toss it all in the crockpot for the day. We shall see how it turns out and if the girls like it.

Boolit Master

Gizzards

You guys are making me hungry . Now I got to sneak across town and pick up a LB. of Gizzards and a LB. of chicken liver`s . Please don`t tell my wife! The place I go to cooks them the way you want, and knows how to make them soft .

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to put a batch in the slow cooker in some chicken stock, then when I get home after work , use the tender gizzards and stock to whip up a gizzard gumbo....don't laugh , one of the best tasting gumbo's I ever made was with a package of gizzards, the tenderized gizzards will cut down on the gumbo simmer time. 45 to 60 minutes should have me a pot of gumbo !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The pressure cooker plug when it blows out will make a mess on the kitchen ceiling. Don't ask me how I know, that has never happened to me but the best cook I know had it happen to her before we were married, She doesn't want a repeat.

OK woodbutcher, 2 lbs are goin in the pressure cooker in 3 cups of chicken consume. May try to dredge and deep fry some of them.

Ok, about 30 min under pressure seems to be about the right amount - dredged in egg & milk and coated in Panko and bread flour.
    came out pretty good. Had the Oil at 375 deg took about 3 to 4 min per bath.
    Last edited by Artful; 10-13-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Chicken Gizzards ....yes !
    Time to do another batch in the crock pot and then make a Cajun Gumbo with them, now that's some seriously good eating.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KAF View Post
    Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken at one time had gizzards, pressure fried, I sure miss them from there, and their livers they also had.
    You and me both.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you are not familiar with boudin , check out this site www.boudinlink.com , will tell you all about it.
    My favorite is from the Best Stop in Scott, La. Their smoked boudin is the Best ! Now I got a craving flung on me....going to Scott this weekend.

Gary
    I didn't know I had a town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It's funny , my mom was leery of pressure cookers, I think a relative , back in the 1940's had a bad experience with one, explosion in the kitchen ! And as a result she never owned a pressure cooker , since she taught me cooking I never bothered to fool with one. Slow cooker and microwave were different , she embraced those. Might have to look into this pressure cooking stuff.
    Gary
    I used regular one for years. Wife wanted an electric one. Thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Then I saw the infomercial for the Power Pressure Cooker XL-6 qt. Man is that thing handy! Now I wish we had the 10 qt. You can easily use it for canning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I am going to try this one!!!

Made some yesterday, 2 1/2 lbs of gizzards and hearts, 2 large onions coarsely chopped, 2 packages of chicken gravy mix, 1 1/2 cups water. Stirred up good and in the slow cooker for 8 hours. About an hour before eating, put in two small cans (drained) sliced button mushrooms. Cooked up some white rice to put it over and made a caprese salad (mozzarella balls (pearl size), halved cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and onions coarsely chopped, italian dressing) to go along with it and sweet tea to cleanse the palate. What a great supper and had leftovers to have for lunch in a couple days.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Time for Gizzards again, thinking I will try my Sous Vide in em
    je suis charlie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast