Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Gizzards in the slow cooker - Yum

Chicken Gizzards in the slow cooker - Yum

Tired of the hassle of oil frying your gizzards? Find them tough?
    Well, the solution is your slow cooker.

put in your gizzards, diced onion, garlic, and 2-3 cans of Chicken or Turkey gravy - if you want to change the taste from Canned gravy you can cook up your own or just add a can of mushroom soup and rough chop some mushrooms.

Put the lid on and wait 6-12 hours and everything will be done and tender.

Serve on toast, put in a platter and give out toothpicks to get
    what you want, or this evening it was served over white rice.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Tired of the hassle of oil frying your gizzards? Find them tough?
    Well, the solution is your slow cooker.

put in your gizzards, diced onion, garlic, and 2-3 cans of Chicken or Turkey gravy - if you want to change the taste from Canned gravy you can cook up your own or just add a can of mushroom soup and rough chop some mushrooms.

Put the lid on and wait 6-12 hours and everything will be done and tender.

Serve on toast, put in a platter and give out toothpicks to get
    what you want, or this evening it was served over white rice.

Sounds great! Mom made great fried gizzard also!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I absolutely love livers, but gizzards have never been that great. But I've always eaten them fried, so maybe I need to try them like this. Sure sounds like it'd be good! Thanks! I can't eat any livers any more. Too high in cholesterol, like all other organ meats, but I think gizzards might be OK if I don't overdo them? What's the cholesterol content in them? I think livers and brains are the ultimate cholesterol dosages, but can't recall what level gizzards are. Anybody know?

My mother makes poultry stuffing from gizzards, liver, eggs, cheese and some other stuff. DELICIOUS !!!

Wrap in bacon with a slice watercress nut a small slice of jalapeno on low in the oven covered then uncovered on 400 till bacon is crisp. Hold together with toothpick.

Boolit Grand Master

Slow Cooker....excellent idea, served with the gravy over rice...We Have a Winner!
    I love easy cooking, thanks for idea!
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Love Chicken Livers and also Gizzards done right.... May give this a try!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I gotta give this a try. I never liked the tough gizzards but this should fix that.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Moderator Emeritus

Chicken livers floured in seasoned flour then pan fried in butter! The only liver I will eat! Gizzards I am not fond of, to chewy!

Boolit Master

Love both,but have to be careful with how many I eat for they are loaded with vitiam k and that upsets my cumin don.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken at one time had gizzards, pressure fried, I sure miss them from there, and their livers they also had.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah they really mess with the coumadin, if I eat them I skip anything green veggie for 2 days or my INR gets whacked.

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Love both,but have to be careful with how many I eat for they are loaded with vitiam k and that upsets my cumin don.

Boolit Grand Master

Artful,
    I was telling the wife about your slow cooker chicken gizzard recipe post , she kept thinking about it, made up some lame excuse about being out of bread , went to the local market and came back with bread and two big packages of chicken gizzards !
    She said you went and flung a craving on her ! Gizzards in gravy over rice, she used to get that at the old A&G Cafeteria in New Orleans when she was a girl . It was her favorite dish there.
    Going to use two cans of beefy mushroom soup and 1 pkg. dry brown gravy mix.....this should be a winner !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-17-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling, thinking was spelled as thing
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    That is a good way to serve them...... The only thing better then Chicken gizzards are a plate full of Chicken livers!

Many years ago when I was first married my wife and I took a vacation in Shenandoah Nat Park. I remember we came down one of the mountains and stopped at a resturant that had an "all you can eat" Chicken Liver Special! Well 2 1/2 plates full ( and probably 2 years off my life) later, I left that resturant well Feed!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    O man.....Someone throwed a hankering into me too.... man that sounds good....

Dale

Boolit Master

Had been many--many years since I had gizzards, mom would make them, think just fried, we kinda tough too. Well the OP sparked my interest. Went out and got a new slow cooker and put it to the test, picked up 2 pkg Tysons gizzards & hearts, rolled them in flour, browned them slightly in skillet and off to the cooker with cream of mushroom. 2 hrs on high, 6hrs on low, WOW turned out just great, hearts were just a tad chewy but gizzards I could cut with a fork. Only time I've used a slow cooker before was with pork cutlets, does a good job on them too.

Boolit Master

I had a friend that used to can all of the duck and goose gizzards the group would get. Canning makes anything tender.

When I was young we raised rabbits. If you like chicken livers, you should try rabbit livers. Very nice and mild.

another use for chicken livers is for making boudin, which is a rice, pork, and liver sausage and quite amazing. Cheap to make but labor intensive.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

If you are not familiar with boudin , check out this site www.boudinlink.com , will tell you all about it.
    My favorite is from the Best Stop in Scott, La. Their smoked boudin is the Best ! Now I got a craving flung on me....going to Scott this weekend.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Chicken livers floured in seasoned flour then pan fried in butter! The only liver I will eat! Gizzards I am not fond of, to chewy!
    Mary, pan fried gizzards are chewy - but the low slow treatment tamed pretty much all of chewy - give it a go.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

This morning I pulled out the slow cooker, put in the gizzards with a sprinkling of meat tenderizer, a can of beefy mushroom soup, a package of dry gravy mix ( used turkey ,I'm out of brown) a Tablespoon of dry roux (we can't cook anything without a roux) and as per my wife's request , 1/2 cup chopped tomato, a little onion and garlic powder. Set on low , asked the wife to stir it at lunch, I will be thinking about having this over rice all day long ....yuuuum!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast