WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a protective finish for new casting bench

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-N...eet+baking+pan

Get a full sheet baking pan. The aluminum will absorb the heat and protect the bueatiful wood top and all the casting splatter and drips.
    Or...don't the auto parts stores sell large pans to slide under an auto that leaks oil? Pretty large too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I used a stone bathroom counter slab that was broken on one end. These can be had very cheap, and how classy is it to have a marble casting bench?

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that's the 2 part finish I have used mirror coat. Once cured its pretty indestructible. I used it on some vases I turned up along with a few other projects. Its kind of a pain to work with but is good. Ive found the squeegee type tool works better than the brush to spread with fewer air bubbles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Or...don't the auto parts stores sell large pans to slide under an auto that leaks oil? Pretty large too.
    WalMart has one, about 14x28, about $15.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Anything that will allow the wood to show? Or am I just wanting transparent aluminum?
    Scotty knows how to make that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkqiDu1BQXY

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Easy, get a sheet of bullet proof glass 3/4'' thick!
    Aaron
    Bulletproof glass isn't glass, it's polycarbonate plastic and melts at 311 F.

Go To Home Depot or Lowes there are counter tops in the returns area.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    Go To Home Depot or Lowes there are counter tops in the returns area.
    I was going to say go with Formica, I have a casting bench that is an old recycled bathroom vanity, have never had a problem with the lead splatters marring it. Wipes clean when I come down with a case of ambition.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Finish it in what ever you want. Then get a piece of sheetrock and place it on top. When it gets nasty with a lot of burn marks...flip it over. It is also cheap to replace.
    I've seen this done. Works great.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I used a solid core door for the top of my current table. Then I purchased a carton of laminate flooring, cut it to size then glued it to the table. It looks good, oil and such wipes right up. I don't cast in the house so protecting it from burns was not an issue. If it was I would just purchase a piece of 1/16" thk cold finished steel plate to fit one end of the table.

The only thing I would do over is place heavier weights on the laminate while the glue dries. I was recovering from shoulder surgery when I did the table top and could not pick up heavy objects.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Bulletproof glass isn't glass, it's polycarbonate plastic and melts at 311 F.
    Some of it's polycarbonate. The stuff rated to stop rifle rounds is laminated glass like in a car windshield except several more layer of glass.

Banned
    Going all the way back to post #2, - pretty much what I did. Got a piece of sheet steel, (28ga? maybe, I can't recall) and epoxied it to a piece of plywood.
    Sanded the metal, used some old cold blue on it and called it a day. Trimmed the edges with aluminum angle to make a small 1/8" lip all the way around.

It works great. lead doesn't stick to it, nothing rolls off and I don't care if it gets beat up.

Boolit Master
    I just put cardboard on mine, when the cardboard is nasty looking I trash it.

I bought a small metal table at Harbor freight, it had some kind of a particle board composite material. I took a gander through my scrap pile and found a nice piece of sheet metal that came from a metal desk. Painted black, had rolled smooth edges on 3 sides. I did a rough fold and tuck of the raw edge and put it towards the back.

By my estimation it would contain at least 3 or 4 of my pot's liquid contents before spilling any to the floor.

2 sheet rock screws into the composite below hold it stable.

Think outside the box.

I'm starting to wonder about this project...is this a new top for a bench in an actual working shop or is this one of those 'Man Cave' type thingies?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Parker View Post
    I was going to say go with Formica, I have a casting bench that is an old recycled bathroom vanity, have never had a problem with the lead splatters marring it. Wipes clean when I come down with a case of ambition.
    Formica countertops bubble and smell horrible when your Lee pot pukes all over the place...

My tabletop is 3/4" plywood. It has some brown spots on it but hasn't even got hot enough to smoke. If your molds that hot you got other problems...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

This is intended to be a real casting bench but I like my work areas to look as great as the work that comes out of them. At least when possible. And I don't mind putting forth a bit of effort to make it look nice since I will be spending hours at a time sitting at it. But you guys really have made reality set in, and I appreciate that.
    I'm not gonna have the grain showing. I'll still make it look great, just haven't decided how. I really like the creative ideas given here, especially the marble lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12