Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else is truly living rural?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've lived back in the mountains for over 30 years. The thought of living in or near a town gives me the shiverboogers!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance

Pop <300............15 miles East or West for bread and milk, 72 miles West one-way to Walmart. Over 100 miles to a small city, 3-1/2 hours drive minimum to a big one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Veteran aerial.jpg  
    Last edited by HABCAN; 01-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

Rather remote here too, I live on 46 acres "back on the ridge" where I don't see anybody, hear anybody and I don't bother anybody! My shooting range is as another poster already said, it's whichever door I walk out of. Next to no level land on the entire place but I have a huge spring running out of a small cave, cattle, chickens, pigs and other critters plus we garden and even grow enough apples and berries to have some to sell. We really don't need to go out for much and rarely do, groceries are pretty much what we grow so even a shopping trip to the supermarket is not often nor do we need to buy much while there, I can't stand the thoughts of living in or even near a town with all that traffic, noise and neighbors, maybe remote living is not for everyone but it sure suits me!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

in Remebrance
    Don't live there, but we hunted a ranch in W. Texas where it was 40 miles to the nearest fuel station, and 150 miles to the nearest WM. No cell service either. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master

Who else is truly living rural?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Apparently 15 minutes is about the limit people will drive from their house, so we need a walmart or grocery store every 500'.
    This is southern NJ, right over the bridge from Philly. The same pattern repeats in the suburbs in PA but it's so built up and old it doesn't happen as often. If traffic is bad this pattern is great if you live there.

The homogenization of America is quite sad. I travel all over and most of the non-remote areas look the same anymore. I can't stand the chain restaurants. And local places are completely hit and miss. I'm guilty because I miss diners being everywhere and a WaWa or Sheetz all over.

Well my little town has 876 souls at our last census. I own a little hardware store in my town. We have most of the things you need right here in town but all the stores are like mine, small and owned and operated by locals. My hardware store is like an old time general store. I have most everything but groceries.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm sorry to report I live only 5 mi. from a smallish college town. And they're 4-laning the highway we live just off of now, which took our community well, so we've got a drill rig in the back yard now, drilling a new one for us. I once tried to get my wife to agree to build out on my farm, but she said if she moved, it'd be closer to town. So ... we've sat right here for 39 years now, come next month. We have a "branch" that runs parallel to the highway by our house, and it provided a great place for my son to grow up in. But I STILL want to build a little home on my farm, with a big shop behind it - big enough to put my boats in and still work at the various benches I'd need. My county has grown by leaps and bounds, and all due to the college, and the libs here make me wonder how long we'll still be voting majority conservative. I'm a social creature, but like "home" to be solitary and outset from others. That's how I grew up, and I loved it. At my age, it's good to be so close to the things I need, since my wife doesn't "believe in" keeping a good supply of food, etc. on hand when "you can just go to town and get more." And I can't get her to see the benefits of a full larder, no matter how hard I try.

She spent 30 years in the education system, so I attribute that to her "thinking" now. But if I ever go anywhere, it'll most DEFINITELY be further "out" from "civilization," out where folks are friendly and just plain old "folks" who have a spirit that seems to have been wiped out in the more urban locales. And where I can shoot in my back yard again! Where I can burn any trash I deem advisable to do so with. Etc., etc., etc. Where a man genuinely FEELS "free" and the air smells so much better. I fear that will be clean out of this county if things keep progressing as it is now. But we have a couple of likely candidates adjoining this county. Hmmmm. Now y'all got me to wondering and pondering!!!

Boolit Master
    Would love to live out in the sticks, but my job is town based and I'm not so sure my wife would be keen on being remote. I am looking at getting a few acres to build a cabin on.

Perma-Banned

I grew up rural, but since being grown...a long time now, I have lived closer in. I like the convenience of being close in...don't really have any desire to live out in the sticks, any more. We have property out there...but it was just to inconvenient to work and all of things the kids were doing while growing up. We have a place at the lake, about a 100 miles away and when I get to wanting to get away...a trip to the lake, helps my feelings.

Well, I have a 40 acre farm, tree farm that is, about 7 miles outside of a 1,500 population "city" that is in decline. Last week we started building our new home on the farm. I have gotten pretty fed up with the small city where I live now, tourists in the summer drive me nuts. So I am headed back to the country, grew up 10 miles south of Pahokee, FL, edge of the everglades, on the big lake, no electric, no running water, no indoor plumbing until I was 14. Hell, I did not know there was a grid or we were off one. It is funny how the world got along just fine without me knowing one thing about it. I bet it will be just fine if I check out of the rat race and move to the woods.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Buddy

Dang I guess I live in the city then , My place is 5 miles out of town we have 6 acres , I have my own range here at the house , Im one of the board members of our local gun club , Town pop is just under 10000 , Any bigger than that I get road rage LOL. nearest big city is 70 miles away , But I wouldnt change a thing , other than I would like more acreage .
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

I WISH I still did. Grew up on a 150 acre farm in Kentucky. Been missing that place and that way of living my entire adult life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    My entire county has one traffic light.
    My county has 0 traffic lights

Boolit Buddy
    I'm about 15 miles from a town of 1700. We do have a general store about a mile down the rd through.

Eric

Boolit Master
    While I shoot coyotes and crows out the kitchen window and pee off either porch I don't consider this remote. The towns of ash grove and walnut grove are only about 3 miles in opposite directions. 1 has 2 four way stops and the other has 1. You can get a pizza at the gas station. Ash Grove only has about 1000 people yet there's a grocery store, lumber yard, pharmacy, dentist, clinic and 2 feed stores. Both towns have a cafe. Wall mart is about 20 miles away.

While the neighborhood is relatively populated there aren't really any houses in sight and any day the weather is decent you will hear shooting in some direction, sometimes more than one direction. My driveway is 1/2 mile long but there is very little traffic on the road. When anybody comes to visit they often comment on how quiet it is.
    Game of all kinds are often seen in the yard.

We like it here
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Moderator Emeritus

7 miles to town but it is on the interstate and a state highway intersection. It's a busy town for 1100 people in the impact area [15 mile radius]. Grocery store is open 6 am to 10 pm, two restaurants, and two fast food places, subway and A&W/KFC. 2 gas stations, one sells ammo and fishing stuff, Dollar store recently moved in. Ladies Auxiliary is open Fri and Sat afternoons and you can get all kinds of used stuff. 2 parts houses and tire shop/repair places. 4 bars and 11 churches. It's only 30 miles to a Mart store. WE get a lot of Canadian traffic so shops stay open longer than the next town over which rolls up the sidewalk at 6.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Live on the back side (about a mile down a dead end dirt road) of 225 acres. Only 3 other families on this road. Town (1200 folks) is 3 miles away. Not as rural as I would like some days, but wouldn't trade it for anything.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

I just moved last week and finally got satellite internet working! My mailing address town has 500 people and I now live on 81 acres. Town is about 30 minutes for groceries and such. Costco is almost an hour away in Virginia. I love it so far!

Boolit Grand Master
    Rural as well. Closest neighbor is 3/4 mile. Back onto thousands of acres of state land

Mailbox is 2.5 miles. Post Office 12 miles away as is the gas station and a convince store.

Don Verna

Banned
    I can shoot my full size cannon off and not raise a fuss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast