RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Concealed carry

Boolit Mold

Concealed carry

Looking for suggestions for wifes CC bought a 38 SW but it has a 6lb pull,she liked the glock but trigger very esay pull

Boolit Grand Master

She can't pull the trigger at 6#s? Only she can determine what is best for her. Go to a range and rent all they have available. She can determine what works best for her. Any other answer will be someone's personal preference that may or may not work for her.

Boolit Buddy

My wife got her a Sig 938 she likes it better than the Smith Bodyguard that she had
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    My wife got her a Sig 938 she likes it better than the Smith Bodyguard that she had
    My wife loves her 938, and my Ruger security six with 38's...

My wife likes her Sig 938, not in love ❤️ with it but likes it. Went looking for a Glock 43 but she wasn't sure about it. Looks like another weapon to carry in the near future.

There are many good choices on the market today. Here is some of the things I considered when deciding on a CCW gun.

First and foremost..... Grip size. ESPECIALLY for a female. There is something that isnt considered by 95 percent of handgun shoppers. The handgun has to be comfortable in BOTH hands....in two hand firing and one hand firing.

Second... Trigger pull. And not just the weight of pull, but the LENGTH of pull. A handgun with a trigger travel that can be measured in kilometers will have the same effect as a grip that is too big for her hands. Trigger reset is also a consideration but should be less of a factor if the length of trigger travel is acceptable.

Third... Frame size and caliber. These two categories seem to go hand in hand. I chose a 9mm for my carry gun and i will explain my reasoning shortly. After the above considerations have been addressed, next in line is.... how is she going to carry it? Not to many women will wear a shoulder harness. And i dont think it should be kept in a purse. So that leaves on the waist. There are several good options and I chose in the waistband. When I first got my CCW, I carried a P89. It is a honkin piece of metal to have in the waistband and it got very uncomfortable. But at the time, it was my only handgun. It wasnt too bad for the first 2 or 3 hours, but after 12 hours, it felt like it doubled in size and weight. So mode of carry has to be carefully analyzed.

You have to calculate what are the actual chances that you will actually have to use the firearm in a self defense situation. Chances are low. And after a long period of time, she, like i did, will become complaisant. An uncomfortable handgun will get left at home or in the car. That is when the situation will arise when it will actually be needed.

As for caliber, I chose the 9mm for many reasons including those mentioned above. The 9mm, and im sure there are many who disagree, is an intense and formidable self defense cartridge. The downside is the poor **** choice of self defense ammo. A lot of retailers only carry the 115 gr TMJ. And if you find a suitable carry round, you end up paying out the cornhole for it. But if you can obtain 124 or 147 Gold Dots, I assure you they are a completely capable self defense round.

To be a responsible citizen carrying a firearm, you have to practice. The 9mm is the most mass produced and economical cartridge on the planet. It should be within practically everyone's budget to practice often. After all, when the chips are down, all that counts is getting rounds on target, and as rapidly as practicable. Also, in a SHTF scenario, the 9mm will be around when other cartridges are long gone..... due to its popularity. You will still be able to barter for ammo if it becomes necessary.

Making a recommendation on a specific handgun is a tough one. There are many good ones on the market. After considering many....Glock, Springfield XD, Kahr, and several others, I chose the Ruger SR9C. It met all of my requirements and more. It is incredibly accurate for me. I can hit a 6x6 plate at 20 yards all day long. Of course i have to do my part. The trigger is second to none. Im sure all of you at one point or another have seen Hickok45 vids on youtube. He is a self proclaimed Glock guy. And with good reasons. But his first review of the SR9C left an impression on him. Many times in the vid he would comment on how good the trigger was. And a mention or two how accurate it was.

The SR9C is a great handgun and at a reasonable price. 425 dollars at most places. LOVE THAT RUGER! But I do have to admit, I like my stepsons SIG SP 2022 9mm. It is pretty sweet too. If it was available when I bought the Ruger, I would have had to think harder about it. But they are close enough in quality and function I would have probably still have chosen the Ruger. Bit more bang for the buck IMO.

Here is a link for hickok45's review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

EDIT.... Many people, including hickok45, were taking crack shots at the "excessively large"
    loaded chamber indicator. Yes. It is larger then most. BUT....It is never high enough
    to impede the sight picture. You dont know its there. And something no one ever
    expresses..... You can do a chamber check, at night, with gloves on, and still be positive
    there is a round in the chamber. Its actually very comforting.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 01-31-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'd thought a DA snubby would be the ticket for my wife, just load it and pull the trigger. Trouble is, the trigger pull is just too heavy for her. Then I got her a Ruger LC9s pro. The trigger is no problem for her to use and it's the same functionality of draw it and pull the trigger as a DA revolver.

The one item to consider on autos is can she rack the slide. Once I showed my wife the proper technique, she has no problem racking the slide and dry fire practice has the double advantage of practicing sight picture and trigger release as well as racking the slide.

My wife came home with the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380, mostly because it is small and had a laser. It's got a horrible trigger and no real benefits for her over a revolver since she is not well versed in semi auto's. I tried talking her into the Glock 380 but she would not listen.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

My wife permanently borrowed my Colt Police Positive for carry, it has a 17# trigger pull. She is 60, petite, and has no problem with the pull. I keep buying guns for her to get my Colt back but she refuses. It's an ugly gun but she loves it.

Last edited by Walkingwolf; 02-01-2017 at 04:33 PM.

I've bought 5 KelTec PF9s over the years and just love them. I haven't ran across too many ladies that have difficulty with the ergonomics or racking the slide. They are reliable and accurate. I don't recall any failure to feed or failure to fire issues. I did have some problems with the grip extensions and don't recommend to try and squeeze a mans hand into that area, but they are great for the ladies. Even better is they are cheap and come with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Only had to use the warranty once and it was a painless process.

Boolit Master
    On the little Smith J-frames, the trigger pull can be dramatically improved over stock with a simple & cheap spring kit like the Wilson Combat or Wolff kit. You can leave the stock hammer spring and just replace the trigger rebound spring and still see a big improvement without sacrifice of some hammer force. I also put the Cylinder & Slide lengthened firing pin in all my S&W revo's. My daily carry, S&W 442 no-lock, has the full Wilson Combat kit in it with the reduced hammer spring and the trigger is phenomenal! It has set off every round I have fed it including some very hard primer'ed PPU 158gr semi-jacket. For duty it has my own hand loads with a Lehigh bullet and Federal primers, not a single worry of it no going off. Still hits the primers with vigor.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed