Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsInline Fabrication
StainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2ADvertise hereLee Precision

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast and suppressors.

What if I added copper powder to my powder coat?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maliveline View Post
    What if I added copper powder to my powder coat?
    I think probably a waste of time and money.

Ya I was thinking the same thing later in the day after I posted this I guess I’m going to try to dick around with plating
    Last edited by maliveline; 05-08-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    I have a 300 BO that I have been casting the 230 lee and powder coating it to bring it up to proper size. Still not real happy with it but its the only boolit I can powder coat and get a good OAL that will function in the ar platform. THe problem is with the suppressor I am getting lead in the suppressor, none at all in the bore. I can take my can apart, (form 1 titanium can) and clean it but lead is stubborn. Has anyone fired cast using a can, subsonics, and not having any leading issues? What mold are you using, powder coating, lube, hitek, or not, etc etc.
    I had the same problem 'way back when the USAF issued me a High Standard 22 w/muzzle brake. What happens is that the rifling smears itty bitty tails on the bullets, and the tails get blown off as the bullet exits the bbl, to be deposited in the brake. Same situation in your case, I bet...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

first thing to do is to shoot some of your bullets into water and see if the coating is holding up. I recovered a bunch of pc bullets out of the snow bank this spring. Some done with smokes black and some with his brown. Some bullet designs looked like they were gas cut with bare lead showing. Much more prevalent with the brown then the black. None leaded the barrel but id about bet theyd lead up a can eventually. He has a new brown pc color that is suppose to be the toughest color he has. I bought some and will try it but it will be a while (thank God) before theres snow to shoot into again. Your problem might be cured with just a switch to a different powder.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

So best to use JB or plated with a can? Inquiring minds need to know.

Boolit Master

I guess if you make more money then I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarry1 View Post
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Nope powder coated cast with no issues.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Interesting thread as I'm waiting on a couple form 4's...

Boolit Master
    I've put a lot of lead through cans. I switched to PC because it's so much cleaner than running lubed lead. Since switching my cleaning interval went from every 200-300 rounds to every few thousand. That's mostly pistol calibers through sub-guns, but includes a fair bit of subsonic and supersonic rifle as well.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

I collect all things .32. If you have something you don't need, please let me know!

Boolit Master
    Personally, I use plated bullets ONLY through the cans. 147 gr 9mm and 95 gr 380's, and 230gr 45's. Never had a problem since I started doing that.
    Collector and shooter of guns with selector switches and threaded barrels. Collector of suppressors, SBR's, AOW's and SBS's. Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Apparently I’m not the only one with this question. I’m planning on just use it lubed boolits, it’s just too easy to live them with a star, I figure with a dab of super glue the gas checks aren’t going anywhere. Subscribed to this thread and when I get my can in a few months hopefully I can add more to the convo.

Boolit Master
    The can on my 300 blackout has seen at least 5K rounds, all of them cast and lubed. I specifically bought a serviceable can for this very reason, and I have cleaned a good bit of lead out of it. I just recently started using the Hi-Tek coating and am looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference in keeping my can clean.

FWIW most of my bullets have been checked and Iíve never found one inside the can.
    NRA Endowment Member

Just because a handful of people on the Internet share an opinion doesn't prove it is correct.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123