RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300/357

Boolit Master

How bout 30X357 Max ala Jim rocks old chambering.

I have an old odd ball ( at least to me) 30X trimmed 357 Max Long neck build from a old heavy 308 target barrel and Francotte action.

Even with a couple of pieces of brass that came with it it took me a while to figure out how to form brass. 30X357 Max dies are not it, it takes a backed off 30X221 die to form it.

I need to dig it out and get to shooting it this year
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The 30 TCU takes standard .223 brass and simply necks it out. More capacity than .357 Max brass and *much* cheaper.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banner Sponsor

Several years ago I played with a single shot pistol in 30-38spl. I used the front half of a 30-30 barrel and cut the reamer out of O-1. I used a variety of dies to form and load the ammo until someone mentioned trying the 7.62x25 sizer. I ran a 38 spl case full length into the sizer die and it formed almost exactly what I had been doing. You might look at the same, but just run the 357 mag brass partway in. That would get rid of the cost of custom dies.
    Here is a 357 case run partway in.

303 Britt barrels might be more common in your part of the world along with bullets of the correct caliber. Or are .300" bullets a norm down there?
    Just some random thoughts floating by at Midnight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    This is a project I have been working on for a couple of years, it has been real slow, I want to get a commercially made reamer but they are not cheap. I have about 400 brand new Starline 357 Max brass that I bought years ago and have not used and a barrel that I am going to make for my contender, also one to make for my TCR-87 as I believe the caliber is well suited to single shots. This is what I am going to chamber in them.

I formed the cases by simply stuffing a 357 Max case in a 357 Max sizing die and then into a 30 Herrett sizing die which creates a neck of .290"-.295" in length, just right I think. I am going to attempt making a "D" reamer to chamber the barrels. I have one drawn up that I think will do the job just got to get out to the shop and make it however I am going to call PTG first and inquire if they have one or can make one.
    This would be very close to the ideal cast-bullet cartridge for the small Martini. Just as you describe it should be fine in the TCR-87, but in the Martini it would probably be the better of a little taper in the body for reliable ejection.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    This is a project I have been working on for a couple of years, it has been real slow, I want to get a commercially made reamer but they are not cheap. I have about 400 brand new Starline 357 Max brass that I bought years ago and have not used and a barrel that I am going to make for my contender, also one to make for my TCR-87 as I believe the caliber is well suited to single shots. This is what I am going to chamber in them.

I formed the cases by simply stuffing a 357 Max case in a 357 Max sizing die and then into a 30 Herrett sizing die which creates a neck of .290"-.295" in length, just right I think. I am going to attempt making a "D" reamer to chamber the barrels. I have one drawn up that I think will do the job just got to get out to the shop and make it however I am going to call PTG first and inquire if they have one or can make one.
    I was just talking to Nobade a few days ago about doing about the same thing with the .357 Max case by running it into a 7.62x40WT die. I already have the dies and reamer which makes it easy, I just need to order a barrel blank. I figure it will make a nice cast bullet barrel for my CPA for our local silhouette matches.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master

I fooled around with a 357 case necked to 30 caliber some years ago and found that 30 Luger or 30 Mauser sizers worked well.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    [

300 Diameter bullets are not made by any one that I know of only casters that load for the 300 Sherwood .I cast my own ,but have recently come across some 110 and 100gn speer 308 plinkers (jwords ) which I plan to stuff through my .302 sizer and give them a try .My CBE mould drops 140GN RFN AT 304" .
    I doubt many of your countrymen have heard of the 300Sherwood ,developed by Westley Richards to compete in the target shooting arena in GB during the 1900's, many rifles chambered for the cartridge were brought to Aus and NZ by migrating Brits. Kynoc ceased making ammo some time ago .It was also used as a hunting cartridge and a few different loads were available , including WR ,s copper capped LT bullet . The cartridge gets a 140 gn bullet travelling 1420fps , similar ballistics to the 357Mag , but the case is much longer, and can be made from the 25-20 long single shot basic brass, or Bertram makes the 300 Sherwood brass .

QUOTE=lar45;3967890]Several years ago I played with a single shot pistol in 30-38spl. I used the front half of a 30-30 barrel and cut the reamer out of O-1. I used a variety of dies to form and load the ammo until someone mentioned trying the 7.62x25 sizer. I ran a 38 spl case full length into the sizer die and it formed almost exactly what I had been doing. You might look at the same, but just run the 357 mag brass partway in. That would get rid of the cost of custom dies.
    Here is a 357 case run partway in.

303 Britt barrels might be more common in your part of the world along with bullets of the correct caliber. Or are .300" bullets a norm down there?
    Just some random thoughts floating by at Midnight.[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12