Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Contender & Pachmyer

Boolit Master

Contender & Pachmyer

A recent post brought out a little confusion about the Pachmyer grips & forends offered for the T/C Contender. The Pachmyers allow a shooter to enjoy heavier recoiling calibers w/o as much pain as experienced with the factory wood grips. Considering the initial calibers for the Contender weren't hard kickers,,, the wood was fine. But as different calibers came along,,, recoil became uncomfortable & even painful.
    Pachmyer came along & their grips tamed the beast & allowed for very good shooting with the kickers.
    To compliment the grip,,, they also built a rubber forend,,, and to allow it to attach to the barrel,,, they built an adapter to mount to the barrel, then the forend could be screwed to the adapter. This Pachmyer forend was for the bull barrels,,, and as such,,, there are 2 main different lengths when this was offered initially. A 10" & a 14" bull barrel was the 2 common lengths. As such, Pachmyer had 2 different barrel adapters,,, called "barrel blocks" to fit either one. A short one,,, & a longer one. A 10" bbl only had one screw for the factory forend,,, while the "Super 14" had 2 screws & a different factory forend. So, Pachmyer made 2 different blocks. Later on,,, it was discovered that you could use just the longer block & they dropped making the shorter bbl block.

I've had a Contender in my stable since the 1970's,,, and I've got several still. I also have many barrels to allow me to enjoy this fine firearm.
    I wanted to show the different barrel blocks,,, so as to clear up any confusion.

Boolit Master

I never knew there were two sized bars for the forends? I only ever had the longer 2 screw ones as I had mostly 14" bbls. The one 10" bbl I had I just stuck the bar on with one screw and it worked fine. I managed to get some extra blocks so I could leave them on the bbls and just move the rubber forearm.

Boolit Master
    I too have blocks for all my barrels.

Boolit Master
    Mine was that way too. I liked the all black look better than the stock stuff, besides it being more comfortable to shoot. Especially on those hot days at the range when the hands sweat. I still have fond memories of shooting my .30 Herrett at 400m plates.

Never had any pain from the grips, the trigger guard/spur have gotten me before though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Never had any pain from the grips, the trigger guard/spur have gotten me before though.

Heres one for you It's actually not too bad

Boolit Buddy
    You sir will not get a call from PussyGalore.
    Although she prolly would send you a smile or two.

Thank you for this, I've been trying to understand the subject and this made it clear. One more question, do these fit the octogon barrels?

Boolit Master
    These blocks do not fit the octagon barrels.

My luck. Thanks!

Actually, they do, as I have two Octagon barrels, One is 44 Mag/Special and one is 38 special. I have Pachmyer on both of them.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Now I have to go & check my octagon bbl & a Pachmyer block. I'm thinking I tried this long ago,,, and due to the taper of the octagon,,, as well as the flat vs. round,,,,,, the mounting screw & all didn't work.