RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mauser 98 extended extractor

Mauser 98 extended extractor

Can someone tell me where to get an extended extractor.? Brownells no longer sells them. Or would someone please tig a little more metal to one of mine so I can trim it fit. I built an awesome 7.62*39 rifle and it's a real shooter. Just need to get a longer extractor lip

Boolit Master
    Take it to your local welding shop and ask if they can do it. If they say they say they don't know what filler to use take a piece of spring steel wire from the local hobby shop and have them use it. That is what I used to build up Colt triggers and hammer notches. Presuming they do TIG it up for you it will be harder than woodpecker lips and should be drawn back to a straw color or it will be brittle. Be sure to polish out any scratches as they will act as stress risers.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Maybe Midway will have them again. You can request to be notified when they are available.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/44...l-in-the-white

Boolit Master
    Brownell's doesn't sell that extended extractor for a reason - it was terrible! It was too narrow and the metal was so thick that the bolt couldn't even be inserted into the receiver. It took a tremendous amount of grinding to thin down the body of the extractor so that it would fit into the raceway. Even then, it was so much narrower than the raceway that it would try to "roll over" instead of remain stationary as the bolt was rotated, and would bind up the bolt. After a lot of effort I ended up just tossing it and welding on material to extend the claw.
    There are two ways that I've seen to extend the claw on a Mauser extractor which look like they'd work really well. The first is to cut away the claw and square up the end of the extractor. Then make up a replacement extended claw. Drill and countersink two mounting holes in the new claw for flat head screws. Use very small screws like size 2-56 (no larger than 3-48) Now drill and tap two holes in the face of the extractor for these screws. The screws are going to attach the new claw to the end of the extractor, but they're not strong enough by themselves. Flux the end of the extractor and the claw, attach the claw to the extractor with the screws, then silver braze the new claw into position. Make sure to protect the rest of the extractor from the heat as your doing this because it is a spring, and you don't want to draw it's temper.
    The other method, which is the one that I use, is to TIG a piece of metal to the edge of the extractor to extend it. I use some copper sheet as a backing for the weld, and make sure that I get full penetration. After the weld cools I place the new edge of the claw against some flat steel and lightly peen the weld with the ball end of a Ball peen hammer. Then I toss the extractor into a toaster oven at 400 deg. F for 45 minutes, then allow to cool to air temp. With both methods the extended claw is then ground, filed and sanded to shape. I haven't had an extractor break yet.
    By the way, is your 7.62x39 a large ring or a small ring?