Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WFN VS Semiwadcutter For 357 Revolver

Boolit Buddy
    LFN has meant lead flat nose to me long before the WFN arrived.

Boolit Man
    The replies have let me know I'm on the right track. Has helped me a lot in choosing my molds. Greatly appreciated...Jeff

Boolit Master
    One thing to consider regarding the LFN vs. WFN is you need to consider the meplat's percentage of bullet diameter. With the 44, 45 and 47 the WFN meplat is roughly 80% of bullet diameter, and the LFN is roughly 73% of bullet diameter. With the 357, the WFN is roughly 75% of bullet diameter. A long way of saying that a 35 caliber WFN is closer to an LFN design in the big bores.

I've shot 200 gr 357 WFN's into 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds from my contender in 357 max and 357 Herrett, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to group them at longer ranges. I've also shot the same sized group with a 310 gr LFN in a 480.

A buddy had LBT make him a 160 gr XFN in 35 caliber, it had a 0.30" meplat, same as the 44 cal LFN or a 83% meplat. I ended up trading into the mold and never could get stellar accuracy with that bullet whether pushed at mid range levels with Unique, or stoked to the gills with H-110. Conversely I have a mihec 360-640 mold that is an ogival wadcutter (sorry never measured the meplat) drops ~170 gr flat point bullet that is very accurate pushed either mid range with unique or stoked to the gills with H-110.

I don't know what the "magic" meplat diameter should be in terms of percentage of bullet diameter, but I think keeping it in the 73-75% range will most likely result in the best accuracy and still provide good terminal performance.

Banned

I have always felt the length of boolit engaged by rifling to make twist work is most important. As you change the engraving length, velocity must be changed. I never considered overall boolit length or weight alone to mean much or meplat size. If too long, many calibers can not be shot fast enough for stability. Of course boolit weight limits it too but I have found a heavy boolit if designed right will still shoot even if a little slower.
    My 330 gr has a very long ogive and will NOT shoot slow but it needs 1300-1316 fps as does the Lee 310 and LBT 320 gr WLN. There is no sense looking for 1000-1100 fps unless you can live with 2' patterns.
    My 330 gr has a drive length almost exact to the great RD 265 and the Lee 310 is a tad longer.
    Now we tested the ridiculous 405 gr once and they make sideways holes at 50. Might need a 1 in 10" or faster twist.
    Twist and boolit match can't be ignored.