RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lam 2...

Boolit Master

Question Lam 2...

Lube coming out the bottom of the sizer—below the sizing die where the stem pushes the boolit back up through the die…

Before I tear it all down, is there a O-ring or such in there to seal it?...

I was sizing 357 WC’s using Alox…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master
    Using alox ? Just plain liquid alox .

Boolit Grand Master

I get some leakage in that area. It's caused by over pressure. The only o-ring is on the top of the die.

Boolit Master

Stick Alox...

I thought maybe too much pressure also, but I am not really getting all the lube grooves on the 38-148-WC filled. I am pushing the boolit completely out of sight and the top grooves don't fill. I am not so worried about that, but the mess is not so good...

Guess I'll clean it all up and try it sometime down the road...

I did use the sizing die for Caranuba previously and I was thinking it is much harder than the Alox. Maybe the Caranuba wasn't moving, although I did use the heater attached to the sizer, and I was turning the crank too much?...

I never had these problems until I started to cast boolits!!!...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    OK. I am pretty dense sometimes. What am I supposed to see on page 7 of the LAM instructions?

I would suspect the problem is using a RCBS sizing die to lube the boolits as a RCBS sizing die only has one row of lube holes vice the many rows of holes in a Lyman sizing die. More pressure is required to lube all of the grooves on a 38 148 WC as they pass by the one row of holes as compared to many rows of holes in a Lyman sizing die lubing the many lube grooves with many rows of holes that come close to lining up with the lube grooves when the handle is at the bottom of the stroke and you add a little pressure to the tube reservoir.

Or am I missing something here? I would use a single row of holes to lube a single lube groove and many rows of holes to lube many lube grooves.

Boolit Grand Master

Those instructions are for the LAM1 which is a different design. The LAM2 has a solid bottom w/ no base plug. Maybe mdi thought the OP's was leaking around the base plug which is a common occurrence.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    OK. I am pretty dense sometimes. What am I supposed to see on page 7 of the LAM instructions?

I would suspect the problem is using a RCBS sizing die to lube the boolits as a RCBS sizing die only has one row of lube holes vice the many rows of holes in a Lyman sizing die. More pressure is required to lube all of the grooves on a 38 148 WC as they pass by the one row of holes as compared to many rows of holes in a Lyman sizing die lubing the many lube grooves with many rows of holes that come close to lining up with the lube grooves when the handle is at the bottom of the stroke and you add a little pressure to the tube reservoir.

Or am I missing something here? I would use a single row of holes to lube a single lube groove and many rows of holes to lube many lube grooves.
    I checked the sizing die I was using and it is an RCBS and it does have one set of holes. It is possible I was putting much too much pressure on the lube in an attempt to get it to fill all the lube groves. This is an aspect of the sizing dies that I did not know or never really considered--Live and learn it is called...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Those instructions are for the LAM1 which is a different design. The LAM2 has a solid bottom w/ no base plug. Maybe mdi thought the OP's was leaking around the base plug which is a common occurrence.
    Yep, I looked at page #7 and I see what mdi was talking about. As mentioned, mine is the LAM 2 and it seems to be leaking around the bullet ejector assembly. I didn't take a real close look at it, but I am pretty sure it is from too much pressure. I never had this problem, at least to that extent, with other boolits and the RCBS sizing die. BUT, as mentioned also, those boolits had one or two lube grooves. Live and learn...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    The lube is under too much pressure or too much heat, lube will go there if the lube grooves are full but pressure and heat continue, the lube has to go somewhere. Don't overthink the number of holes or their location on the die, you only have to be concerned with that on a STAR.

Boolit Grand Master

OP asked if there was an O-ring in the tool. I found an exploded drawing showing all the parts used. No LAM 1 or 2 designation for the drawing. Just trying to be helpful and mebbe show that "google is your friend".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I have never owned/used a RCBS, but I assume the LAM 2 is similar to the Lyman as to how die seats into the press...as the dies are interchangable. The Die has a beveled base and mates to the press at the bottom of die cavity. If that area has some crud or dried lube on it, then you don't get a good seal, and lube is more likely to leak...OF course as others have mentioned, excess heat and excess pressure will exacerbate the issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    OP asked if there was an O-ring in the tool. I found an exploded drawing showing all the parts used. No LAM 1 or 2 designation for the drawing. Just trying to be helpful and mebbe show that "google is your friend".
    I honestly forgot about that question. The LAM2 manual is designated as such. Obviously there was no 2 when they made the first one :laugh:

I agree about a Google search. The amount of info at your fingertips is quite large.