Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Headlights

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I bought this at Target this morning. $9.47 for the box. And it works just like the picture on the package, surprisingly! I like it!!

Here's the box and before/after pics on my 2007 Tundra.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Try using OFF insect repellent. It is not perfect, but helps a lot

Don Verna
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Deet insect repentant does work. Spray and rub with a cloth.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Not the greatest idea!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/everyt...-products.html

Look all the way down.
    A few days ago, looking at my "yellowed" plastic headlight lenses on my Toyota, which I posted about previously (the polishing compound treatment lasted about 1 or 2 years?). I decided to read up and try the "DW OFF" (Deep Woods OFF insect spray) treatment.

First, After doing some reading, I learned the oils (or acidic oils) need to be neutralized, I used baking soda and water.

this procedure did work real well removing the yellow haze and did a only a little bit to 'melt' any scratches, the scratches were still there but not nearly as noticeable.

The first lens I "rubbed" with a towel treated with DW OFF in a circular motion, the circular motion was a mistake. The end result of rubbing that way was the lens seemed smeared. Then I sprayed the lens with water, then "powdered" the lens with baking soda, then sprayed lightly with water again, and let sit for a few minutes. Then I rinsed real well, and the plastic was NOT soft and tacky like can happen with this chemical reaction. I then coated the lenses with a good carnuba auto wax.

The second lens, I did much the same, Except I used one, straight wiping motion of the DW OFF treated towel, doing one area of the lens at a time, each time using a new towel that was newly treated. After one wipe of a treated towel, you can feel the sticky melted plastic on the towel, and touching the area of the towel, onto the lens again, just makes a mess. This technique gave a much clearer result.

I guess we'll see how this lasts...it sure was lots easier than 30 minutes to an hour of rubbing with some sort of mild abrasive.

PS, be sure to take measures to not get the DW OFF on the car's paint...I'm not sure if it will melt the paint? but if it would, that'd be bad.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I agree. it might help a bit IF your lenses haven't already yellowed but once the sun does the damage that causes them to discolor it usually damaged much deeper then these magic potions will cure. Even if they look better on the surface damage is done to the lenses all the way through and light output will diminish. About all your doing is putting a temporary bandaid on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Buy new headlights. Polishing doesn't do much. It ends up being wasted time. I'm glad I have e-codes on my VWs and they all have glass lenses. My truck is almost at the point that I need to buy new headlights for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Headlights

As an update I bought new lights all around for my truck, GMC Canyon, over the weekend. Cost a whole $188 for the headlights, turn signals and tail lights. TYC makes headlights for pretty much every car. The plastic they use doesn't yellow as fast as other brands. I'm sold on the brand after putting one on the Buick Regal we own. Light fit and looks just like the OEM.

OFF insect repelent
    Does really well for a temporary fix

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Try using OFF insect repellent. It is not perfect, but helps a lot

Don Verna
    Last edited by Bo1; 10-19-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: wrong place
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Like others have said if the lights aren't yellowed too bad then you can polish them out fairly good but if they are really bad then replacement is the only option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123