Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going back to SOLID Slugs for Rifled Gun.

Boolit Master
    If you had access to a lathe, you could make a new piece for the mold. Thats what I did with a Lee mold, the .575 minie. Its not made as a shotgun slug. I made a new base piece that shortens the skirt to get the right weight. Simply filling the base would make them a bit heavy, all the solid slugs are pretty short. I think its a bit of luck to find the right wad for this use. I bought some Fiochi bulk 20ga, opened them up, melted the shot into buck or slugs, and re crimped them. The slugs do pretty well. But another brand, they were all over the place, just the difference in wads.

Boolit Master
    50 yards: round ball. Simple, effective.

~ 570 grs 73 cal ball is going to make a bloody awful mess of anything it even partially connects with.

I have had great success with 20ga brass shells, black powder, and .626" round ball. No need for plastic wads etc. Over powder card (can be punched from waxed cardboard or plastic), fiber wads (can also be punched from cork), ball, sized into place or simply held in place with a piece of tape, provided wads have been pushed down firm on powder. If planning on multiple shots, a BP lube cookie between fiber wads or over fiber wad and under a waxboard or plastic wad beneath ball will keep fouling soft.

If using smokeless, Ballistic Products have recipes for slug loads that include their .725" pumpkin ball, so that should get you into the ballpark and I am assuming that their book would not be restricted from import or that someone could be found that has a copy and could share info. If you have access to black powder, round ball over 3 1/4 drams should do it.

Boolit Buddy
    RPRY: no success with the Roundball. God knows I tried!

I have some success now with a home fabricated 15 socket wrench slug.

Check here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4034114

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12