Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Experiences with savage 220?

Boolit Buddy

Experiences with savage 220?

Considering getting a savage 220 for the kids. I live in Illinois so no rifles for deer hunting. We have a scoped muzzle loader they can shoot on private land but a lot of the youth hunts are slug only. Has anyone developed a good accurate cast slug load I searched here and found none. I have a load worked up for the 20 gauge smoothbore using a roundball that is good out to 50 yd. I would like to use the 220 myself as well. My marlin 512 is great but a bear to hike with, great for the stand.

Boolit Master
    I've had a Savage 220 since they first came out . And have shotvdeer with it up to about 140 yards . I've used the Remington factory Accu-Tip 2 3/4" shells almost exclusively . I realize that's not what you ask but that's what I use .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

http://www.furycustombullets.com

Uncle Dino vendor sponsor here and shotgun projectile genius. His plastic based slug has achieved 2" groups at 100 yds. Several threads herein including one with a neck shot at 88 yds.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

b buck,

I just recieved a box of Uncle Dino's 20ga attached wad slugs and plan on doing load work very soon using Blue Dot. I believe Dennis shot his tight groups using Steel. I am using an H&R Tracker II, fully rifled slug gun.

I am with you on the 512. Look at the Fury website, there are some very interesting FB projectiles available for a fully rifled 12ga.

BB

Boolit Master

I helped my BIL get his going. It was uphill at first. The scope that came mounted on the gun was bad. Savage sent another - it was bad too. He bought a Nikon shotgun scope and after that it was smooth sailing. Using 3" Remington accu-tips it shoots very good at 100 yds. with some groups being 3 shots touching. The down side is that with that ammo, it's $3.00 every time you pull the trigger. He shot a big 'ol boar at 140 yds. and it was like the hammer of Thor.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    So no magic load with commercial mold? Like from a lee or Lyman?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbuck View Post
    Considering getting a savage 220 for the kids. I live in Illinois so no rifles for deer hunting. We have a scoped muzzle loader they can shoot on private land but a lot of the youth hunts are slug only. Has anyone developed a good accurate cast slug load I searched here and found none. I have a load worked up for the 20 gauge smoothbore using a roundball that is good out to 50 yd. I would like to use the 220 myself as well. My marlin 512 is great but a bear to hike with, great for the stand.
    you can use muzzle loader in all of the IL deer hunts you are not restricted to shotguns even on state land
    but you can only use a muzzle loader in the muzzle loader only season
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 05-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Man
    If you are wanting to reload for the 220, I would look at the SPW (SABOT PRESSURE WAD). I have had good results with them and are cheaper than factory loads (accutips). Round ball loads shoot good too using Trap commander wads in cheddite hulls, low recoil and fun to shoot. here is two loads I have used http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0ga-round-ball

Boolit Buddy
    So no good options using commercial moulds like Lyman or Lee 575 cal molds like the REAL or Minies. The 512 shoots the hornady SST and heck yeah on the Nikon shotgun scope with the BDC redicle. I bought their rifle scope for the muzzleloader. For real if I lived or hunted in another state I'd be using a rifle. The kids really like the renegade I use but the public land hunts really limit what guns we can use. The shots lately are 80-120 yards. It's weird. Of the 60+ deer I have taken in 23 years of hunting maybe 5 have been over 50 yards with the exception of archery.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice RB groups. I use 19.6 gr herco in TC wad using fiochi hulls I use cards to bring 575 ball to the top of the wad. Good out to 40/50 yd with smoothbore IC choke 21" youth model 870