Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol scope advice

Pistol scope advice

I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk cal. 480, i would mount a scope that resistant recoil.
    I saw these scopes , which i recommended in increasing order
    Tanks!

N​ikon Force XR 2.5-8X28 BDC Reticle
    Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32
    Burris 2-7x 32
    Burris 3-12x 32
    Weaver 2.5-8x 28mm
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Boolit Buddy

Are these pistol scopes you've used in the past? I'm asking becauseuse I just got a scope mount for my SBH in 44 Mag.
    Jeff

I would like to have opinions on these scopes, because I would not make a purchase to repent.
    I read that simmons with the big guns as the 480 Ruger, 454 Casull, 460/500 S & W break because of the recoil.

Boolit Mold
    I've had good luck with Nikon and Burris, poor luck with Weaver. I prefer the Burris for it's optical clarity, ruggedness and affordability. I've had no luck with Simmons and don't recommend them. The Burris 2x7 will allow you to do fine target work but back off the magnification for the field. I seldom use more than 2x - 3x for the field, larger field of view and less oscillation on target.

Banned

For the price of the Burris you could get a 2x Leupold
    If you are going to go variable, I would go with the Weaver, not on your list.
    Otherwise Burris

Boolit Master

I have this on my Encore 13" barrel 454 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...-reticle-matte no issue with it at all I keep it set on 2x wile hunting turn it up for target work I'm happy with it

also have this on my Contender 44 magnum https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...duplex-reticle out of the two if i was looking for a new pistol scope for hunting i would get the Leupold
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

+1 on the vortex scout. Just mounted it on my Rossi and for the money it's a good scope. If you every want to trade it, the scope has a lifetime warranty that transfers, great selling feature. Same with Burris. I have a Burris on my Super Blackhawk and it has done just fine.

I really like the Burris 2-7x32 ballistic plex, $ 357.00
    then the Nikon Force XR 2.5-8X28 BDC, $ 251.89
    Otherwise there would be an opportunity for a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 a $ 169.58
    What do you recommend among these three scope?

I mainly have Burris handgun scopes but have some Leupolds, Simmons, Weaver. I have a Burris 2-7x on an XP-100R in 350 Rem Mag and a Burris 3-9x with Posi-Loc on another XP-100 in 350 Rem Mag. I had an issue with the posi-loc sent it in have not had any issues with it. The scope was slipping in the rings with Burris friction paper until I tightened the ring screws more than I felt I should. Other XP has a 3 ring setup.

These will shoot a 225 gr bullet at 2,450 fps (3,000 ft-lb) and 273 gr cast at 2,150 - 2,000+ out of a 4 lb handgun, using 50 + grains of powder so decent impulse and momentum.

I have Leupold on a 44 mag no issues, and on a 7-30 Waters Contender, this is a snappy cartridge in a handgun kind of like hitting a light pole with an aluminum baseball bat on a cold morning with no gloves. Just has a sting to it.

Simmons on a K-Hornet so not recoil issues to deal with all other scopes are on mild to mid range recoiling handguns.

Buddy was tearing up scopes on his Encore in 308 Win; do not recall the brand but they were sending new scopes out. IIRC they were more on the low end of the price curve $125 - $150 ish. He does not load but his brother started loading him up some Hornady 130 gr SSP bullets at 30-30 type velocities.

I won't own another Trophy XLT. I got one that replaced an older Trophy under warranty and mounted it on a Contender .44 Mag. barrel. In no time the objective bell came loose and I sent in for repair and got another one as a replacement. I put a 2 X 6 Elite on it. My son had a 2 X 6 XLT do the same thing on his .358 JDJ Contender shortly thereafter and he sent it in. That time they merely turned the objective bell to tighten it again leaving the little power indicator dot down in the 5 o clock position and they merely punched a new dot at the top and returned it. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 2 X 6 on my BFR .475 Linebaugh with over 4000 rounds through it and no problem so far. Bushnell changed their Elite line to the 3500 which now carries a different warranty that replaces the scope even if you run over it with a truck. I can't speak for the other scopes the OP mentioned, but a friend has a Weaver. He says the eye relief is shorter than any of the Bushnells.

Boolit Master
    My preference in handgun scopes is Leupold first, Burris second... Fixed over variable, lowest power that meets my needs (although I do use both)... Aluminum tubes over steel (less weight, better balance).
    My all-time favorite is the Leupold 2x... tough, light, huge field of view.

I have busted 2 Burris scopes in the past (exceptional service, lifetime warranty).
    I've used Leupolds longer, harder, and more often... going on 40 years now, NEVER needed the warrantee. Never had one fail.

Boolit Master
    Burris is always good with normally good service if needed -all of my rifle scopes are Burris but 1
    I have only owned on Leupold and it was good but had a lot of reflections on the back lens from your surroundings. Newer is likely better-- for the price it must be
    Simmonds ok -- mine (4x) is optically all right- anti reflection coating non existent
    Had a 2x6 xlt-- was like as my son says looking through a toilet paper roll-- not much on anti reflection
    2x b trophy sound again not much on anti reflection-- good image and bright
    2x Nikon overall good but I broke it on a .41 mag Redhawk with a 255 @1300
    I am thinking about trying a Swift 2x6 Premier -- if any one has any thoughts on that let me know please

Attachment 186441My Dan Wesson 44 mag has had a lifetime of 265 gr RNFP over Win 296 or 2400 at max load levels. It has worn a Leupold with great success. The scope is low power, less than 2X, which works for me. The Leupold warranty is one of the best. I have a Ruger Security Six .357 with a 2X Weaver. It has worked fine for thousands of rounds. I like fixed power in a handgun scope.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Nikon on my SBH. I haven't used it a lot, so I can't really help you much, but it has worked well, at least so far.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Burris only .

Boolit Grand Master

Of those you mentioned, Burris. I have a 2x7 weaver Classic I had on a 41 Mag and it was good, but I'd prefer a fixed power Burris on that 480

Don't overlook the 2X Weaver.

Perma-Banned

I have pretty much had them all, over the last 30yrs...the only handgun scopes that I would not buy again...Bushnell Trophy and Thompson Center...problems with both of these.

I even have a couple of old Simmons scopes on hard recoiling Contender barrels that have held up VERY well...never a problem with them...however, I am not sure if the new ones are the same quality.

Now, my favorite, as far as using it, would definitely be the Weaver variables...I like most everything about them.

I don't like the weight of the Burris scopes...but they are good scopes. And, of course, you will seldom go wrong with a Leupold.

In Italy you will find only the Bushnell and Leupold, other scopes are garbage from € 50-150.
    On another gun I have an old Burris 4x20 with parallax correction on the front bell, I try to mount this to see how it shoots.
    But I think to take the Burris 2-7x32 for $ 357, has the parallax fixed at 100 yards, I would love even Burris 3-12x32 but $ 100 more and
    magnifications are too many, if they had built the 2-7 with adjustable parallax would be amazing.
    Leupold 2.5-8x32 costs too much for me, Italy is very expensive!
    Nikon and Bushnell seem to me that they had problems and Weaver 2.5-8x28 has the fixed parallax only 50 yards.

I would go with a Leupold. Lifetime warranty and they are made in the US. I had a reticle break on one before and they upgraded it to a better reticle for free. Not a fan of any of the imports.
    Keep moving forward!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast