Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35 Remington loads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Check out the earlier mention thread or check out the thread on the NOE Forum on the 35 XCB cast bullet over LeveRevolution Powder in the 35 Remington.

Larry Gibson
    Thanks Larry, good stuff. At the moment, I need some data for jacketed. I guess have a book that gives me a starting place.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not know all there is to know about the .35 Remington cartridge except that it's performance can be greatly improved by diligent reloading. I have a Remington 141 from 1938, two Marlin 336 lever actions so chambered and a Remington 7600 pump also in .35 Remington. I use Alliant Reloder 12 powder in all my .35 Remington reloads. RL-12 was discontinued by Alliant (Hercules) in December 1998. When RL-12 was announced for discontinuance I had already become a fan of it for use in my four .300 Savage rifles for it's velocity and superb accuracy. When I read of RL-12's deletion from the line up of powders made by Hercules, I did a local gun shop tour and purchased 23 more pounds all in Lot #12. Since RL-12 is a double based powder it's shelf life will outlast me as I'm now 65 years old.

After stocking up on RL-12, I decided to work up loads in all my .35 Remingtons except for the 141 Remington pump which I relegated to factory pressure loads as only cheese gets stronger with age. As mentioned earlier, the 760/7600 pumps have been chambered to some of the highest pressure factory loads known to man so not too much fear or trepidation was experienced by me in developing loads using RL-12 powder for my 7600 Remington pump chambered to .35 Remington. The 7600 pump and my first trial of RL-12 and a 200 grain RN from Hornady and Remington produced 2400 fps and accuracy was outstanding as all shots touched.

One day I just had to try the 7600 pump load in my two Marlin's and achieved 2300 fps without any apparent pressure signs and flawless extraction. I've also loaded the Hornady gummie tips at 2300 fps in the two Marlins and 2400 fps in the 7600 pump and it has proven itself very effective on deer at those speeds and accuracy was outstanding also.

358 Win

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    I do not know all there is to know about the .35 Remington cartridge except that it's performance can be greatly improved by diligent reloading. I have a Remington 141 from 1938, two Marlin 336 lever actions so chambered and a Remington 7600 pump also in .35 Remington. I use Alliant Reloder 12 powder in all my .35 Remington reloads. RL-12 was discontinued by Alliant (Hercules) in December 1998. When RL-12 was announced for discontinuance I had already become a fan of it for use in my four .300 Savage rifles for it's velocity and superb accuracy. When I read of RL-12's deletion from the line up of powders made by Hercules, I did a local gun shop tour and purchased 23 more pounds all in Lot #12. Since RL-12 is a double based powder it's shelf life will outlast me as I'm now 65 years old.

After stocking up on RL-12, I decided to work up loads in all my .35 Remingtons except for the 141 Remington pump which I relegated to factory pressure loads as only cheese gets stronger with age. As mentioned earlier, the 760/7600 pumps have been chambered to some of the highest pressure factory loads known to man so not too much fear or trepidation was experienced by me in developing loads using RL-12 powder for my 7600 Remington pump chambered to .35 Remington. The 7600 pump and my first trial of RL-12 and a 200 grain RN from Hornady and Remington produced 2400 fps and accuracy was outstanding as all shots touched.

One day I just had to try the 7600 pump load in my two Marlin's and achieved 2300 fps without any apparent pressure signs and flawless extraction. I've also loaded the Hornady gummie tips at 2300 fps in the two Marlins and 2400 fps in the 7600 pump and it has proven itself very effective on deer at those speeds and accuracy was outstanding also.

358 Win
    Thanks 358; I suppose there is not much point in asking what your load is, as I have no RL-12, and it is unobtainium now. Do you recall if they made a replacement, or do Alliant powder customers just live with a gap in burn speeds?

Sounds like a good load, and an somewhat uneducated guess on my part would be just over 40 000 PSI. Not familiar with how strong the 141 is; would that be the "ancestor" or the offspring of the 14?

Are you getting 100 fps difference with the exact same load, between rifles?

Banned

The 141 was the improved version of the 14 but basically the same rifle. I have one I need to work with more, great rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post

358 Win

Thanks for posting that information. It was the type of data I was looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    Tactical Lever,
    All loads with RL-12 exceed published maximums for the .35 Remington, therefore the load was not listed. I too questioned the velocity difference of 100 fps between between my 20" barred Marlins and the 22" 7600 pump. My suspicion is that the 7600 pump has a tighter chamber tolerance than the Marlins resulting in the 100 fps higher velocity with only 2" of additional barrel length. The test was done numerous times with the 7600 always producing 100 fps more velocity. As mentioned in my previous post, both the Marlin 336's and my 7600 pump both produced accuracy well above what should be expected from lever action and pump rifles. As already mentioned by RichHodg66, the 141 model pump is an improved Model 14, albeit mostly cosmetic in it's improvements.

Tazman,
    You are quite welcome for my post above on the .35 Remington.

358 Win

Boolit Buddy
    An answer to the question about Alliant Powder Company's replacement for RL-12 is that RL-15 and RL-12 are so close in burning speed that the gap was to be filled by RL-15. However, it has been my experience with both Alliant powders that RL-15 proved slower than RL-12 and never produced the sparkling accuracy that RL-12 has done in .35 caliber rifles from the .35 Remington, .358 Win, .35 Whelen and .350 Remington Magnum, all in my battery of .35 caliber rifles.

The .358 Winchester round is a much more effective .35 caliber cartridge when comparing it to the .35 Remington even in +P+ loading. Brass is another issue that the .358 Winchester does not share with the .35 Remington which can be hard to find where as the .358 can be produced by using .308 Winchester brass and one pass into the .358 sizing die. My tests with my bolt action .358 chambered rifles using Ramshot TAC powder has allowed safe pressured loads to exceed factory .35 Whelen loads i.e. 200 grain bullets at 2675 fps, 225 grain bullets at 2550 fps and 250 grain RN bullets at 2404 fps. The above speeds are not needed for our PA Whitetail deer so my .358 reloads stay at about 2500 fps for the 200 grain bullets I normally use. As a note to my comment on .358 Winchester reloads exceeding .35 Whelen factory loads is a moot point as my reloads in the .35 Whelen far and away exceed my .358 Win reloads due to the increased powder capacity of the .35 Whelen.

358 Win

In the Model 81 I tried .35 180 grain jacketed spire point pistol bullets. I was thinking hey maybe shave the weight a little and up the FPS with a thin jacket designed to go slat. The 200 grain round nose was every bit as good. Uh, better really. But I was hunting southeast Texas brief case deer (lop off the legs and stick 'im in your brief case) so a HP'd #358315 was over kill.

About shooting .35 Remington in the 760, that would be outstanding to know you can crowd max and not have to worry about it. My .35 now is a 1953 Marlin. The loads will be cast and paper patched geared towards the deep rifling. Might have to get a hollow pointed paper patched mold made just for the Indiana goofy reg for 1.8" maximum case length in a lever!

On a side note, there's plenty of power there for short range. And I might be using FFFg.

Since the 35 Remington I was looking at became unavailable, I have been considering either a 358 Winchester or a 35 Whelen. I probably will never need the extra power of the 35 Whelen for my uses, but I like cartridges base on the 30-06. This is not a factor in my choice though since the 358 Winchester is based on the 308 Winchester.
    Other than the obvious velocity difference is there any important factor in a choice between them?
    How easy is it to obtain either chambering in a new or good used rifle?
    I haven't made the rounds of local gun shops looking yet.

Boolit Buddy
    tazman,
    The .358 Winchester and the .35 Whelen never set any sales records so a used one may be somewhat hard to find. I know in my case that both rounds are too good to ever get rid of any I own. I have three .358's and two .35 Whelens. My most favored .358 Win is my 760 pump carbine which has been rechambered from .35 Remington and has an original 18.5" barrel. In 1979 Remington tested the waters once again by chambering their superb pump rifle to .35 Remington in both 18.5" and 22" length barrels. In 1980, one of those carbine length pumps rechambered to .358 Winchesters found a permanent home in my gun safe and I have never looked back. Both it's handiness and effectiveness have been thoroughly tested by myself. I always bench test my 760/7600 pumps by placing the clip entrance on top of my sand bags, never by the pump handle. I then do not touch the pump handle when firing my pump rifles but rather place my non trigger hand under the heel of the butt stock. Thus held, recoil will lift the rifle off the sand bags and the pump will open extracting the empty cartridge shell. Of course with that said, the rifle's chamber must be absolutely clean and free of any lube or oil. I know the above because I own a 760 pump in the already mentioned .358 Win, a 7600 in .35 Remington, and a beautiful wood stocked 7600 in .300 Savage. Both my 7600 pumps were purchased new through "Grice Gun Shop" in Clearfield, Pa. Grice contracts with Remington on some unique pump rifles for sale to pump loving guys like myself. Only 300 units were produced in .35 Remington and .300 Savage. My 7600 in .300 Savage does not get fired often due to it's beauty but the others see a lot of range time.

358 Win

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123