StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWisconsin TriggerInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokeless powder in MagTech brass shotgun shells?

Boolit Master
    If you can't find the cushion and card wads in the proper size (11 gauge for a 12 gauge brass shell) try circle fly. They make wads. I use their wads for loading my 12 gauge brass hulls. I also use Red Dot powder and large pistol primers.

Boolit Mold
    There are some 12ga brass, smokeless recipes in the 12ga from hell thread if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bentaz View Post
    There are some 12ga brass, smokeless recipes in the 12ga from hell thread if i remember correctly.
    Any idea which page?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    From my research I can tell you this about the wad column. After putting the card/seal over the powder, the wad column needs to be a minimum of half the inside diameter of the shell, and a maximum of the ID of the shell. You can use a mylar wrap if you want, but it isn't nessesary. Oh, if you use two felt wads put a drop of oil in the top one, and squeeze it, so it will absorb it. This will help with leading. Put an over shot card on top and seal it with Elmer's glue. This is from memory. I read it in an Ed Harris article. It was talking about loading 410 brass shells, but the reasons for the rules are the same. I'd find an old manual that has recipes that use the old Alcan felt wads and seals. Look for one that uses a straight walled hull. I'd use Promo/Red Dot, or Green Dot.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra. if it's moving tax it, if it's still moving regulate it, if it stops moving subsidize it

Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Hmmm....here's an article on this.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ss-shotshells/

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra. if it's moving tax it, if it's still moving regulate it, if it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Brass shotgun shells are only for black powder, not smokeless? Someone should have told the U.S. Army who has used smokeless brass shells for generations.

It depends on the cases. Brass cases are much thinner than paper or plastic. This requires different wads. Also in increases volumes so that powders and loads that work with the smaller volume cases with not work properly with all brass.

Whether loaded with smokeless or black the allowable pressure limits will be the same. The problem with MagTech cases is that they are folded head, like a 22 rim fire, so they will not be as durable or long lived. Also the rim will be a weak point and if it fails there will be nothing to contain the pressure whereas with a solid head case the sidewalls of the head itself may contain some of the pressure in the event of a crack.

Boolit Master

Find the article that CE Ed Harris wrote about it. He has no issues with it.

Boolit Master

Find the article that CE Ed Harris wrote about it. He has no issues with it.

Boolit Master

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12