Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Case cannelure on bottleneck cartridges

Boolit Buddy

Case cannelure on bottleneck cartridges

Does anyone know of a (preferably affordable) way of putting a cannelure on a bottleneck case neck, specifically the .30-40 Krag? I've had success with reduced loads in .30 calibers (from .30-30 up to .30-06) using a tiny bit of Unique and a single 00 buckshot. This is a load containing TWO lead buckshot instead of the single.

I've seen the fancy machines from Corbin and similar places but I only want to make a few cases to experiment with, I don't need to turn out 500 pieces an hour.

Boolit Master
    If you had access to a lathe you could make a small rod that fits the case mouth, clamp it in the chuck, and support the base of the case with a live center in the primer pocket.Then make a round nose roller wheel, like the cutter wheel on a pipe cutter but with the appropriate profile, and feed it into the rotating case. You also might be able to modify a tubing cutter , but it might not be possible to get the groove that close to the shoulder.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    You have a sizer for 7mm/284?

I think i would size the neck down and expand the top part just enough to accept the pellet in the correct diameter.

Boolit Master
    CH and Corbin both make cannelure tools. I have had mine for so long I can't remember even approximately what it cost.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen pipe cutters converted with knurling rollers to hand knurl parts that cant be gotten into a lathe. It would work on a straight section here but for getting into the coner of the shoulder neck like shown 2 different dia rollers will be needed probably. Easiest might be to modify a lee collet die to press in the chanellure at that point. a new sleeve turned up with a ring at that point and just "size" it in place. A pin to support the neck and turned down below the point of the channelure ( you don't want to create a mechanical lock on the shaft).

Boolit Master
    I just tried 17Nut's method, and it works , but my NOE neck expanding plug expands all on one side of the cartridge neck. If I turn an expanding plug with a smaller bottom dia. to act as a guide in the resized neck, and the upper part .310, it should then expand the neck evenly all around. I think that method will be the easiest option. When I get some time I might try this with the 30-06, but might not be enough neck for two pellets.

Boolit Master

If you have any 30 cal Lee factory crimp die, just invert the case to the shoulder into the die and crimp hard. That should narrow/crimp the base of the neck enough to hold the buckshot without it falling into the case.

Boolit Master
    I tried to put a cannalure on the neck of a 30-30 case. No go without modifing anyone of the three tools I have( all different). Seems like the best bet will be a setup for the lathe.

Boolit Grand Master

The area he wants the cannalure in is going to be tough one because of the tightness of the area another is the extra "strength" the corner has with the shoulder coming into the neck this greatly strengthens that area. Folds rolls and shoulder stiffen a piece a lot.

While I have a tubing cutter modified to do this and a smooth roll for my cannelure tool as well..... These options are best only for non-bottleneck cases. The Krag would be a tough one to do close to the shoulder. The steep body taper complicating ways to keep the 'roll' from going off track.
    I think the partial neck expansion to hold round ball(s) from going too deep is the best option for the Krag case.

I sure liked those old FA rounds!

Eutectic

Boolit Buddy
    Some great ideas here guys! I think I may try the 7mm neck size and the inverted Lee crimp on some .30-30's to see what works the best as .30-40 brass is a bit hard to find around here.

Boolit Bub
    A bit late to the thread. Although not duplicating original method. Wouldn't a few nicely spaced dimples in the neck with a rounded point center punch provide the resistance needed to prevent the ball ingress.