RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's a top of the line brass tumbling rig for personal use?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    7acres -

Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but auto wash and wax is just as good a cleaner. Plus, the wash and wax leaves a microscopic coating on the brass that cannot be felt or seen but which inhibits re-tarnishing of the brass over time. I've got brass tumbled several years ago in wash and wax that are still shiny. So, yes, I use wash and wax instead of Dawn.

Suggest you rinse your drum and pins very well to assure all of the NuFinish is removed. You may even want to tumble just your pins in detergent to assure they are clean of the NuFinish.

Your tumble time will vary depending on how shiny you personally want your brass. I like the "jewelry" look but that's me personally. Also, pre-soaking will reduce your tumble time. For me, an overnight soak in detergent cuts tumble time in half. You will experiment as you go along.

Here's a couple of pics of recently tumbled cases using the recipe I described to you:

Bayou52
    Yes jewelery quality is the goal! That is some beautiful brass there.

Just did a rinse. Man, a serious amount of black liquid poured out. Did several rinses to get as much out as possible. Running again now with Lemishine and Dawn only.

Boolit Buddy
    I've wash/rinse/repeat about four times now. I'm going to keep doing this till the water is clean after an hour of tumbling.

But the brass is getting real pretty now.

In case anyone was wondering... Don't use NuFinish in a wet tumbler. Haha!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Acres View Post
    I've wash/rinse/repeat about four times now. I'm going to keep doing this till the water is clean after an hour of tumbling.

I was wondering about that . Substituting car wash works great I just ran out of mine and didn't feel like buying more. I pulled out a few bags of brass that have been stored in my closet, they are tarnished slightly but not enough to bug me.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

You're making progress! Keep us posted on your results....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, I finally got a clean run. I probably did 7 rounds, one every hour, before getting them as clean as new. Here's a before & after:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170203_165125.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	187208

Name:	IMG_20170204_182007.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	187210

Boolit Buddy
    I was so happy it finally all cleaned up in there!

So now I have a few questions.
    To get the pins out of each case I handled each one and dumped its pins back into the drum. I was glad to see the pins slid right out. But the whole time I was thinking there has to be a better way. Is there?

Others above said they add mineral spirits. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Is that a dry tumbler suggestion too like with the NuFinish?

Boolit Master

Yep; dry tumbling and Mineral Spirits.

To get the pins out of each case I handled each one and dumped its pins back into the drum. I was glad to see the pins slid right out. But the whole time I was thinking there has to be a better way. Is there?

Others above said they add mineral spirits. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Is that a dry tumbler suggestion too like with the NuFinish?
    Yes, mineral spirits is added to dry tumbling media. It has no place in the wet tumbling process.

To separate pins from cases quickly, I use a rotary media separator like this one :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...edia-separator

I couldn't imagine life without one. I also use it to quickly dry the brass.

Your last batch came out very nicely! Congrats -

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

what size pins are you using?

7acres -

Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but auto wash and wax is just as good a cleaner. Plus, the wash and wax leaves a microscopic coating on the brass that cannot be felt or seen but which inhibits re-tarnishing of the brass over time. I've got brass tumbled several years ago in wash and wax that are still shiny. So, yes, I use wash and wax instead of Dawn.

Suggest you rinse your drum and pins very well to assure all of the NuFinish is removed. You may even want to tumble just your pins in detergent to assure they are clean of the NuFinish.

Your tumble time will vary depending on how shiny you personally want your brass. I like the "jewelry" look but that's me personally. Also, pre-soaking will reduce your tumble time. For me, an overnight soak in detergent cuts tumble time in half. You will experiment as you go along.

Here's a couple of pics of recently tumbled cases using the recipe I described to you:

Bayou52
    thats great if you're happy with that level of shine.... but could you get them even more shiny?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    what size pins are you using?
    .047" diameter .255" length. 5lbs of pins.

Boolit Buddy
    thats great if you're happy with that level of shine.... but could you get them even more shiny?
    I'll take the bait. I've got brand new brass. Bayou52's is just as shiny. And his won't tarnish like my new brass has.

How do you get shinier than that?

Hi, Drew -

With the level of shine and polish that I'm achieving with wet tumbling, I feel we have approached the limits of what can be obtained with our tumbling process. In short, I don't think brass can get much shinier and still be brass.

Please don't misinterpret, as I'm certainly not "bragging" here but merely stating the facts as I see them. I'm trying to help others, like 7acres, achieve shiny brass.

Here's another snap of some recently tumbled 30-06 brass:

Happy Tumbling-

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, mineral spirits is added to dry tumbling media. It has no place in the wet tumbling process.

To separate pins from cases quickly, I use a rotary media separator like this one :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...edia-separator

I couldn't imagine life without one. I also use it to quickly dry the brass.

Your last batch came out very nicely! Congrats -

Bayou52
    Thanks, Bayou52! I've got one of those I used to remove the corncob media from cases out of the vibratory tumbler. There were always a few crumbs left in a good portion of the cases after separating. Does the separator do a more thorough job with the SS pins?

Thanks, Bayou52! I've got one of those I used to remove the corncob media from cases out of the vibratory tumbler. There were always a few crumbs left in a good portion of the cases after separating. Does the separator do a more thorough job with the SS pins?
    I use the Frankford Arsenal Media Separator. They sell two different versions, one meant for wet tumbling, one for dry. Their wet media separator is top notch. It removes the SS pins very quickly, while giving your brass a bit of a finishing rinse in the process. I also use the FA brass drier, and couldn't be happier.

The media separator I use: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...FF09DW9XXNA3KT
    The drier: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...GQWJ8NQG2AWN51

And a post I put in another thread that will hopefully help guys that are chasing down the correct amount of Lemishine (citric acid) to use:

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    The amount of citric acid (LemiShine) needed to produce highly polished brass varies according to how hard your water is. If you're unable to get the same results as the guys that are posting their recipes, try varying the amount of citric acid.

Where I'm at, the water is hard... dang near crunchy. In my Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler, I have to use two heaping tablespoons to get perfect results. So if your brass is still looking a bit grungy, try increasing (by small amounts) the citric acid. You'll know you've gone too far if the brass comes out with a pink tinge to it. The pink tinge won't hurt anything, it's just an indicator of too much citric acid. If you hit the pink, decrease (in small amounts) until the pink goes away. You've hit the garden spot at this point... you'll get maximum shine and good passivation.

Buying bulk citric acid off of amazon is much less expensive than buying Lemi Shine.

For Dillon press users:

Brass cleaned by wet tumbling gets *so* clean that it isn't uncommon for it to become stuck to your powder through expander neck. If you use one of the all-in-one car wash/wax products mentioned by the guys in this thread, it will leave just enough lubrication behind that you won't have brass sticking in your press anymore.

Typical results:

Name:	WetTumbled223.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	187270
    Last edited by Phlier; 02-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Hi, 7acres -

Yes, the rotary media separator works great to separate pins from brass. Please note that it works so well because it is filled with water, and the squirrel cage, when filled with brass, is rotated in water. The water breaks the surface tension between pins and brass. So, all pins sink to the bottom of the separator, and the water gets poured off. Then, the pins go back into the tumbler for the next tumble.

Works great - no pins left in any cases.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to give it a try then.

Here's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V...ESL&ref=plSrch

It looks to be a similar concept to the one Phlier says works for him. Just fill the bucket up with water and crank it for a couple minutes?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking of taking a chance on Meguire's Ultimate wash and wax.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G177.../dp/B00353PWAW

The reviews on YouTube are good and the stuff is supposed to smell real good. Anything to cover up the lingering NuFinish smell!

Boolit Buddy
    I scrolled through the reviews and happened upon this one, "I use it to clean my brass cases in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. A quarter cup of Ultimate Wash and Wax, 1/8 teaspoon of citric acid (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_1), and a gallon of hot water. Four hours later, the brass is as clean as can be - including primer pockets - and the Ultimate Wash and Wax leaves a protective coating which inhibits corrosion."

On order! Arrives Tuesday. I'll re-tumble my initial batch above and then proceed to tumble all my other brass I've got in the queue. Fun!

I'll have to give it a try then.

Here's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V...ESL&ref=plSrch

It looks to be a similar concept to the one Phlier says works for him. Just fill the bucket up with water and crank it for a couple minutes?
    Yes, that will work. Just give it 25-30 cranks or so. Just make sure the squirrel cage is in the water. Pins will separate nicely.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast