MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision

Thread: need quick help, gas check for Lee C457-500F do 45 cal vulcan checks fit?

Boolit Master

need quick help, gas check for Lee C457-500F do 45 cal vulcan checks fit?

I see both copper and aluminum.

Copper are .016 and aluminum are .0145

I use a lee push thru .457 sizer.

Do either of these checks fit? And if yes.. which is better for my projectile? copper or aluminum.

thanks

Boolit Master

The fine people at vulcan responded to my questions.

I must say.. if their checks are ANYTHING like their customer service.. they should be good. I have a sample pack coming to help me decide which I need.

Again... kudos to the vulcan customer service. Someone actually responded MINUTES after I asked for help.

Boolit Master

I have never used Vulcan checks before ! but I have used a lot Hornady checks in various calibers including 45 cal rifle & pistol bullets .
    The 45 cal gas check is for 45 pistol @.452 dia to 45 cal rifle .460 dia a pretty broad spread in size ! what to do is anneal your gas checks so there softer and will not spring back in size and hold tight on either .452 or .460 sized bullets.

How I annealed gas ckecks , get a 12 inch piece of 2.0" dia pipe and two screw on end caps, put one end cap on the pipe tight and put in some paper and pore in the whole box of gas checks next put some more paper on top of the checks and install the other end cap tight ( the paper burns off the oxygen inside the pipe) when the pipe is heated cherry red with a heat source I use a aceletine tourch, let the pipe air cool and you now have annealed checks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I have never used Vulcan checks before ! but I have used a lot Hornady checks in various calibers including 45 cal rifle & pistol bullets .
    The 45 cal gas check is for 45 pistol @.452 dia to 45 cal rifle .460 dia a pretty broad spread in size ! what to do is anneal your gas checks so there softer and will not spring back in size and hold tight on either .452 or .460 sized bullets.

How I annealed gas ckecks , get a 12 inch piece of 2.0" dia pipe and two screw on end caps, put one end cap on the pipe tight and put in some paper and pore in the whole box of gas checks next put some more paper on top of the checks and install the other end cap tight ( the paper burns off the oxygen inside the pipe) when the pipe is heated cherry red with a heat source I use a aceletine tourch, let the pipe air cool and you now have annealed checks.
    Thanks for the tip!
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Master

Interesting.

Boolit Master
    How I annealed gas ckecks , get a 12 inch piece of 2.0" dia pipe and two screw on end caps, put one end cap on the pipe tight....
    Thanks for that idea.