Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Questions about Spanish 7x57mm Mauser boolits from Montana Bullet Works

Boolit Mold

Question Questions about Spanish 7x57mm Mauser boolits from Montana Bullet Works

Got two Spanish 7x57mm Mausers that I'd like to get to the range. I know my limitations and stick to 9mm/.357 cast bullets for now. Since these are .mil surp rifles, I'm leaning towards starting with the 160 or 168 grain boolits due to the throat on military rifles. These will be used strictly for paper perforation on the range.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...er_caliber=7mm

Anyone had any experience with the boolits from the specified molds or this company?

Next question is about 7mm powder coated bullets.
    I'd like to get 7mm(aka .285") powder coated cast boolits and would appreciate any help given in finding vendor/source of these. May ask Montana Bullet Works to sell some unlubed bullets and coat them myself. My goal would be to get 160 - 170 grain powder coated hard cast boolit to 2100 fps. Is this doable or a pipe dream?

Thanks for all the help,

Boolit Master
    You can buy Lubed bullets and just wash them in Acetone , let them dry and then powder coat them

Boolit Master
    Check the bores good. They are know for being bad

Banned
    i have used a .430" in a 220gr wc(44 mag) and .431" (444 marlin)280gr wfn gc and i like them both. when i get my 500L, i want to try a 450gr lfn gc(500 pcs) and a 530gr lfn gc(200 pcs).

Boolit Master
    I forgot to mention.
    Denatured Alcohol disolves Wax Based Lubes.
    If the acetone doesnt work easily, then try Denatured Alcohol first, then finish wash with acetone.

Boolit Master
    The first thing I did with a 1908 Brazilan was slug the barrel than got an NOE mold. You can put several coats of paint on the boolits to increase the diameter slightly. I have had good luck with a 150 grain and 26 grains of pull down 4895. Your results may or may not be the same. I am using a Harbor Freight powder coat set up. Several companies make the paint in copper and chrome, it seems a bit harder.
    jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Check the bores good. They are know for being bad
    IDK - you could say that about almost any milsurp's.

I have had many spanish mausers - still own a couple - and all had decent barrels - often dark, but still shooters.

7x57 is a lot of fun.

+1 on slugging for fit though.

Boolit Buddy
    When I got my 93 and 95 Mausers ,it took approximately a week to get each barrel clean. They slugged at 287 and since I didn't have any molds, I bought the LBT boolits at 287 from Montana. The boolits in both guns shot groups at 100 yards under 3" and did not lead either barrel. I like their boolits.